PDA

View Full Version : Restored my wifes Leuku today.

FishyFolk
18-02-2017, 08:21 AM
The edge was so chipped that it was more effective as a saw than a knife. So I aksed her what she was using it for?

- Well, cutting bones and digging.
- Digging? WHat to you mean digging?
- You told me I could use it for everything!!

Turns out she used it as a trowel in the garden :zombie-fighting:

Anyway, fixed now.

Woody
18-02-2017, 08:32 AM
😂👏👏😊

So of course it's your fault...😏

You said she could use it for anything... so it must be your fault 😒 ...Good job you like to sharpen blades anyways hey?😊

FishyFolk
18-02-2017, 09:14 AM
It gives me something to do...but I am soon out of knives to sharpen. But the japanese waterstone is arriving soon I hope, so then I can start from the toip and work my way down the pile again, lol

rickyamos
22-02-2017, 06:08 AM
Have you tried razor shark kit. It's very good
http://www.beaverbushcraft.co.uk/ourshop/prod_5070596-Razor-Shark-Woodworkers-Pocket-Diamond-Sharpening-Kit-258060.html

No connection but they bring a very sharp edge in minutes

rickyamos
22-02-2017, 06:13 AM
Just to add I saw the guy on the site who in the YouTube links on the page at Gilwell park scout reunion last year popping a razor edge on loads of scouters knives in minutes, so I got the kit. Very pleased, just watch his video clip and see

FishyFolk
22-02-2017, 10:07 AM
I prefer to use stones. Feel more natural.

rickyamos
22-02-2017, 10:17 AM
I prefer to use stones. Feel more natural.

Ok, I have the Japanese water stones too, they are brilliant. But for in the field sharpening I use the DC4 , but also now use the Razor Shark setup

Thanks

Rick

FishyFolk
22-02-2017, 10:19 AM
I have been using the cheapest stones I could find...well, actually they where the only kind I could find in my town. Combined with a leather strop they make
an acepetable edge. But hope I can push it to the next level when that waterstone from Japan arrives.

Woody
22-02-2017, 10:04 PM
It really will depend on the grit Rune, hopefully you have a combi stone coming( with maybe a 1000/6000 format like mine...?) and a small nagura stone (12000 grit) but from my experience , the Waterstones feel nicer and allthough somewhat messier than the oil or diamond stones , they bring a dull knife to sharp in no time at all...
I expect you will still need a strop to get rid of the wire edge (burr) on the blade but it's easier to get that mirror finish with a Japanese stone.
The key with those really is to keep away from frosty temperature and keep it flat (truing) ...
In fairness to Ricky's post , those shark field kits really are very very good , and if they still had those other ones (boxed not roll) in stock I would have bought one set by now....

rickyamos
01-03-2017, 09:54 AM
It really will depend on the grit Rune, hopefully you have a combi stone coming( with maybe a 1000/6000 format like mine...?) and a small nagura stone (12000 grit) but from my experience , the Waterstones feel nicer and allthough somewhat messier than the oil or diamond stones , they bring a dull knife to sharp in no time at all...
I expect you will still need a strop to get rid of the wire edge (burr) on the blade but it's easier to get that mirror finish with a Japanese stone.
The key with those really is to keep away from frosty temperature and keep it flat (truing) ...
In fairness to Ricky's post , those shark field kits really are very very good , and if they still had those other ones (boxed not roll) in stock I would have bought one set by now....

You never know, if you ask them they might knock up a boxed kit for you

FishyFolk
01-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Yeah what is coming is a 1000/6000 King stone with a nagura stone.

My current system is a cheap low but double grit stone. And with the help of my leather paddle strop loaded with polishing compound I can get my knives sharp enough to slice the skin of the tip of my thumb without cutting into blood :-)

And I can shave my arm hairs with them. I just want to see what this japanese stone can do.

Here is my current stone:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Whetstones/40-9031

And just recieved a brand new paddle strop, wich will be loaded with white compound I guess.

Woody
02-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Good choice on the King stone Rune, they are great .👍👍
Love the smell and feel of the slurry cutting through the steel ...

They works really well , to get your razor edge on the tool .

...though it's the strop and compounds ( I use smurf poo or the green compounds) that will polish your knife for the mirror finish ...

Jewellers rouge will also do that and I hear good things about rubbing it on your paddle strop, though I've never used it .

A few weeks ago , I posted here somewhere (can't find it now...😒)
A link to a YouTube video of someone truing the Waterstones .

This is an important step , and as important as soaking them properly before use ...And air drying them properly before storage.

Truing will ensure that you don't alter the bevel on your tool edge.
Because the Japanese Waterstones are so soft , they wear faster , and will "dish" (convex/concave) in the used spots .
When you sharpen , you will wear the stone in a certain spot .
If untrued , the stone will then leave high spots (uneven) on your edge .

I'll dig out the link somehow ...It's hard to explain...
👍

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on comparing the results .

The clasohlson stone is perfect to get your edge back from the wars...( Like , lending it to the wife or kids 😄)

It will remove dings and dents quickly , but the Japanese one will get that edge super fine.

Woody
02-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Yes!!
Link here:

https://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=136237

I like tutorials like I like women

Useful , cheap and easy ...😄