PDA

View Full Version : Frying on a Hobo

Realbark
25-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Although my hobo will heat up an ally frying pan i recently nicked a small cast iron pan from the kitchen (cos its to small for two). I like the look and the feel of the cast even tho its a lot heavier. But for a base camp or motorbike trip its fine. So i set the flat skewers fairly high in the Hobo on firm ground and used the bottom of a bean tin as a stand ON the skewers. The Tatonka burner then on this (holds the volume of meths to heat the pan - my penny stove wont!). I did egg n fried bread........it took about 10 minutes to get the oil bubbling and away i went.............sorted :D

BTW the green on the bread is one of my 5-a-day............

JEEP
25-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Nice setup.

klause
25-03-2011, 06:29 PM
love the garnish on the fried bread !

Realbark
25-03-2011, 06:35 PM
love the garnish on the fried bread !

Noveau Cuisine mate - no need to rough it, eh? :p

klause
25-03-2011, 07:03 PM
gotta watch our figures pal !

CanadianMike
26-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Holy crap!! I hhave the exact same haversack, at least from the front. Heavy tan cotton, same size and pattern, mine is 1950s Canadian army, gas mask carrying SOB, love the thing (does yours have a dual pocket section at theinside front?). Past years has been my regular lug sack for my antique harmonica microphones, patch cord and noise gate, love the thing, bought it about 10 years ago and should have picked up the other ones they had there.

And glad to see the use of an Ikea utensil holder, I bought a pair myself and cut out like you did, haven't had the chance to try it yet though.

Realbark
28-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Sounds like the same bag Mike - dual pocket section etc. I dont know what it is issue-wise as i bought it about 30 years ago for my pack up when i started work in the pit. Tough as old boots tho. The untensil holder is from a poundland type shop as is the billy. £4.00 for both. Visiting an Ikea store is on my list of 100 things never to do :)

Ashley Cawley
28-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Liking the setup :) ... I think I'm gona give the cast iron cookware more of a go this year, yesterday myself, Martin & Matt had a large cast-iron skillet on the go, cooked up four pheasant breasts, bacon & sausages ... the pheasant was free; roadkill :)

CanadianMike
28-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Yup, heavy coarse cotton canvas. Used it for various things over the years, like taking it with me when out and about and not having to carry enough stuff for my constant companion backpack. Had to sew up corners a couple times, but aside from that it's been well beaten. Pretty sure mine is old 1950s Canadian, so good chance it was a Commonwealth thing, you guys might have had some same gear as we did back then.

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Is that a British army, rat pack can opener I see before me in the last pic???? LOL

Realbark
09-04-2011, 09:23 PM
A P38 - does the job!

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I have one on my keyring kit. Saves carrying a huge wind up style one.

Realbark
09-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Certainly does - i have several scattered about in various bits of kit. Cheap as chips but a bit small to be carried loose. Keyrings and brightly coloured lanyards keeps them to hand.

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Certainly does - i have several scattered about in various bits of kit. Cheap as chips but a bit small to be carried loose. Keyrings and brightly coloured lanyards keeps them to hand.

very cheap. never paid for one in my life LOL