PDA

View Full Version : Back from the darkside...

Sar-ian
13-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Hi folks, after a long absence from the forum, is there any of the old gang about...

FishyFolk
13-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Well, looks like we joined the forum the same year, And I am still here...others I have not seen for a while.

Thumbcrusher
13-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Hi Sar-ian. I'm still about! Were've you been hiding? Have to say it's been very quiet on here lately though but there's still a few names you'll recognise i'm sure. welcome back anyway!

BJ
14-06-2017, 03:53 AM
Still here ������

Ichneumon
14-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Nice to see you're still alive and kicking Ian. :)

Ehecatl
14-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Hi Ian - don't know if I qualify for "the old gang" but I'm still here!

bopdude
14-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Old gang new gang you we're all gang :D

Welcome back :)

jus_young
15-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Most of the same old mods are kicking about still. Good to see you back, things are somewhat quieter round here these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tigger004
16-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Me too, how are you doing. Think we need another meet at craigwen

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

ammo
18-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Hello mate.
Hope your well. Good to see you back on here.
We should definitely arrange a meet over the Summer, and a Winter meet too ��.

Sar-ian
18-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Still here ������

Well, when you're in this country at least...

Sar-ian
18-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Nice to see you're still alive and kicking Ian. :)

Oh yes, you cant get rid of me that easy fella...

Sar-ian
18-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Hi Sar-ian. I'm still about! Were've you been hiding? Have to say it's been very quiet on here lately though but there's still a few names you'll recognise i'm sure. welcome back anyway!

Had some major life adjustments, so never had the time or the motivation, but slowly getting my mojo back, whoop whoop...

Sar-ian
18-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Me too, how are you doing. Think we need another meet at craigwen

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me fella...

Sar-ian
18-06-2017, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=ammo;137098]Hello mate.
Hope your well. Good to see you back on here.
We should definitely arrange a meet over the Summer, and a Winter meet too ��.[/QUOTE

Getting there mate, hows the family, feels a long time ago, deffo up for a meet, just give me a decent heads up to arrange time off and I'm good to go....

Sar-ian
18-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Most of the same old mods are kicking about still. Good to see you back, things are somewhat quieter round here these days.

How do you mean quite, as in not many posts, not many people posting, or the "bushcraft bubble" has burst so to speak????

jus_young
18-06-2017, 08:34 PM
How do you mean quite, as in not many posts, not many people posting, or the "bushcraft bubble" has burst so to speak????

Post count down, active membership is down, just a sign of the times I suppose. Those we do have on here are a good bunch but the downward curve of the cycle has appeared. Things will turn around again for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sar-ian
19-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Post count down, active membership is down, just a sign of the times I suppose. Those we do have on here are a good bunch but the downward curve of the cycle has appeared. Things will turn around again for sure.

From the folk I've spoken to recently, one of the biggest issues seems to be a lack of "permission's", and to para-phrase a famous quote, "all the gear, and no where to go"... And then on top of that was knife carry and open fires... Its such a shame, when so. many where trying to re-connect with nature, and the outdoors, that it appears so many have fallen by the wayside... Hopefully, it may change, but I wont hold my breath.. Then I suppose on top of all that, there's farcebook, an awful lot of bushcraft related pages.. Ho hum.. Keep the faith...

Ichneumon
19-06-2017, 06:22 AM
It is nice to see that many of the local 'gang' are still about, special mention to Ian, Ammo and BJ. I think the Facebook phenomenon has overtaken the forum scene, though the lovely Fishyfolk keeps us smiling on this Forum. Regarding permissions: There is a permission in West Yorkshire called Hainsworth Wood. It's located close to Keighley and is available for small groups of bushcrafters, scouts etc., to book for a weekend. As I understand it the price is a voluntary contribution to running and improvement costs, typically £5pppn, http://www.facebook.com/hainworthwoods. Anybody up for a reunion?

Sar-ian
19-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Definitely Paul, be good to get the "band" back together...

BJ
19-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Hi Paul, I have noted this site is also used by Yorkshire bushcrafters and seems to be a pretty good location for both hammocks and tents. It would be good to see everyone again. T^

FishyFolk
19-06-2017, 06:40 PM

It's the competition from facebook groups I think. Many good facebook groups out there these days.

biker-bri
19-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone can I join the gang again

ammo
19-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Hi Paul �� Hope you're well mate.
Ian.. It has been far too long, family are fantastic thanks, ive had ANOTHER little girl since I last seen you.
Hope alls well with you and yours.
The whole bushcraft scene, has gone quiet in general, its definitely slowed down.
It had to happen, been the fastest growing hobby for a number of years, so a drop off, was expected I suppose.
Bushcraft has been around, since time immemorial. It always will be (I hope) it just wont always fashionable or popular, with the mainstream public.
I think Ray/Bear and the amount of media exposure are big influences.
Would be great if we could match diary fates and meet up.
Had some great times with some of the folk from this forum.

Ichneumon
19-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone can I join the gang again

Hi Bri! Somebody was only asking about you just the other day, can't remember who it was though. Proves you've not been forgotten though. As far as I know you never left the 'gang'. :)

Ichneumon
19-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Hi Paul �� Hope you're well mate.

Very well mate, hope things are good with you too.

The whole bushcraft scene, has gone quiet in general, its definitely slowed down.

That's not my experience. I've been as busy as ever, more so since I retired from work. It's true that this and other Bushcraft Forums have slowed, but most of the activity has moved to Facebook. It starts to sound like a meet-up at Hainsworth Wood wild campsite might be something we should try to organise.

ammo
19-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Very well mate, hope things are good with you too.

That's not my experience. I've been as busy as ever, more so since I retired from work. It's true that this and other Bushcraft Forums have slowed, but most of the activity has moved to Facebook. It starts to sound like a meet-up at Hainsworth Wood wild campsite might be something we should try to organise.

Glad to hear your keeping busy mate. You've always been pretty active.
I hope you're right, I really do.
I'm not active on Facebook, I do agree that it has definitely moved from the forums to FB.
Though the last couple of shows ive been, quite a few regular's where missing.
Ive been getting out fortnightly myself.
Hope to see you fireside soon ��

(keep me posted on any meet up plans please guys)

Rasputin
19-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Hi folks, after a long absence from the forum, is there any of the old gang about...

I look in now and again, haven't posted for ages ! One of the things that got me down about the sight was a lot of petty rules like no grawlixes etc. I agree totally that you need rules like no bad language​, bullying etc but grawlixes you find in kids comics fgs. Was out with Paul and 2 others last weekend and out with BJ this coming weekend but had another heart scare in the previous 12 or so months so haven't been out much previously. Again I keep up with the old gang on fb as you know Ian,. We'll all have to have a meet soon! Atvb to everyone Ken

MikeWilkinson
20-06-2017, 04:24 AM
Hi old buddy. I drop on here from time to time. Don't post much anymore, last time I did it met with mixed reactions. Kind a put me off posting again.

Biggest problem I have at the moment is time. Not been out overnight for ages. Still do a bit with the Kids though.

Would be good for a meet up. Even if just for a bimble.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

richprideaux
20-06-2017, 09:21 AM
You've made me re-register to say hello :-)

woodsman
20-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Hi Y'all, seems like everyone is here. Would be great to meet up with everyone again.

Sar-ian
20-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Wow, so it looks like everyone is up for a moot... I've been looking at the hainworthwood site as also found this one https://mobile.facebook.com/messages/read/?tid=mid.1472742782331%3Add7a882e65c3f36794&gfid=AQBxyr9FSt7JGR3C#!/breconcamping/
Has anyone been to either ??? Or any other locations, cheers guys...

Rasputin
20-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Wow, so it looks like everyone is up for a moot... I've been looking at the hainworthwood site as also found this one https://mobile.facebook.com/messages/read/?tid=mid.1472742782331%3Add7a882e65c3f36794&gfid=AQBxyr9FSt7JGR3C#!/breconcamping/
Has anyone been to either ??? Or any other locations, cheers guys...

I pretty certain BJ been to this site (Brecon ), and thought it a good un, we're off to North wood, near Tamworth on Friday that's a good one mid country

Sar-ian
20-06-2017, 02:45 PM
I pretty certain BJ been to this site (Brecon ), and thought it a good un, we're off to North wood, near Tamworth on Friday that's a good one mid country

Can you send me a link Ken, cheers...

Rasputin
20-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Which one Ian Brecon or Tamworth ?

jus_young
20-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Guilty as any other I suppose. I use Facebook for other unrelated groups and the thought had never really crossed my mind that this was what was killing the forums.

Sar-ian
21-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Which one Ian Brecon or Tamworth ?

Tamworth, and whilst you're there, have a recce for a NB moot..

Ehecatl
21-06-2017, 01:02 PM

I use a site just west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It's £5 pppn. There are no on-site facilities but it's great for Bushcraft camps. If it's of interest, let know and I'll put you in touch with the landowner.

Cheers,

M@

BJ
21-06-2017, 02:42 PM

Not possible at Tamworth

BJ
21-06-2017, 02:47 PM
There are two in the Brecons that are really good. Lower forest lodge ( I note you are aware of this on Facebook) and the other one which is great is lone wolf campsite, near Neath.(http://glynymulfarm.co.uk/) Either of these would be good for a meet.

Sar-ian
22-06-2017, 04:53 PM
I use a site just west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It's £5 pppn. There are no on-site facilities but it's great for Bushcraft camps. If it's of interest, let know and I'll put you in touch with the landowner.

Cheers,

M@

Hi Mat, Thanks for the info, got a few places to recce, and I'll give you a shout if that's ok, at some point, cheers Ian...

Sar-ian
22-06-2017, 05:00 PM
OK folks, possibly looking at mid October for a gathering, does that work for everyone....

Ichneumon
22-06-2017, 05:25 PM
OK folks, possibly looking at mid October for a gathering, does that work for everyone....

Works for me! Couldn't we arrange something sooner?

Sar-ian
23-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Works for me! Couldn't we arrange something sooner?

Hi Paul, unfortunately because of work/personal constraints I'd be unlikely to be able to attend a full blown gathering before Oct, at best a day visit would be possible.. Nothing to stop an earlier moot, if enough are up for it....

ammo
24-06-2017, 04:26 PM
October sounds good to me.
Look forward to seeing you fireside chaps.

shepherd
25-06-2017, 07:44 PM
hello me old mate! when we getting out for a night or 2 under the stars!!