PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

Metal mug
27-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I not going to beat about the bush here, read The Hobbit. It is such a great book and it captures the spirt of simple travel so well. Reading it was a part of what made me interested in bushcraft. Another reason to read it now is that Peter Jackson as some of you may of heard has just started filming a Hobbit movie. So in a couple of years everyone is going to be going on about the hobbit even if they haven't read the book. Anyway all I want to say is this. "Read this book before seeing the film." It's worth it and it's not a massive saga like Lord of the rings so it dosen't take long to read. Anyway, enjoy!

ether
27-03-2011, 02:01 PM
yeah The Hobbit is an awesome book, first read it when i was very young as like you like you it is much more manageable than the epicness that is Lord of the rings

been meaning to reread for a while might have to get my old copy out

looking forward to the film as well, Martin Freeman really was born to play Bilbo

JonnyP
27-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Great book.. I would prefer to be able to watch the film first and read the book second though.. The film will never get in all the book has, so it could lead to disappointment when watching the film and not seeing a lot of what you have read. Like in the film Lotr, where huge parts of the book were missed out, like the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil.
I am very much looking forward to the film though.

Realbark
27-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Read it first nearly 35 years ago. Shortly followed by LOTR. I prefer the book first, then the film - as the book first approach allows you to use your imagination - not somebody elses!

klause
27-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Great book 'The Hobbit' it stretches my imagination! Can't wait for the film...

JonnyP
27-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Read it first nearly 35 years ago. Shortly followed by LOTR. I prefer the book first, then the film - as the book first approach allows you to use your imagination - not somebody elses!

I hadn't thought of that.. Very good point..

MikeWilkinson
27-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I love this and LOTR, first read them with my dad when I was 7, had to read four or five pages a night to improve my reading and vocabulary. Think I've read it about 13 times since then.

Roadkillphil
27-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Awesome book! One of the things that captures me about this book is the idea of very small population compared to the amount of wilderness. I could lose myself for years in Middle Earth :D

jbrown14
28-03-2011, 02:38 AM
I first read the Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books when I was a boy. Now at 35 years old, I have at least one of the same copies that I had all those years ago, and still read them about once every couple of years. I always wanted to be Aaragorn/Strider the Ranger. He's the ultimate bushcrafter; totally self-sufficient.

great white ape
28-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Inspiring book

klause
28-03-2011, 04:20 PM
One of my favourite tales by Tolkien is 'Leaf by Niggle' from the book 'Tales from a Perilous Realm'..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Perilous-Realm-Roverandom-Classic/dp/0007257546/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301329172&sr=1-2

great white ape
29-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Change of topic but still book related.... anybody read "the blade itself" and the follow up books.

These are well worth a read and thought I would mention.

chrisj
29-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I first read the Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books when I was a boy. Now at 35 years old, I have at least one of the same copies that I had all those years ago, and still read them about once every couple of years. I always wanted to be Aaragorn/Strider the Ranger. He's the ultimate bushcrafter; totally self-sufficient.

I know exactly what you mean. I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR more times than I could count. Even though he's a fictional character Aragorn is definitely a real role model and someone to aspire to.

Edwin
30-03-2011, 09:03 AM
But remember to take a handkerchief. The idea of the road going ever on really inspired me. The great thing about books like The Hobbit is that you didn't have to "play" being part of the book because in the woods you were actually living the sensations.

chrisj
30-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Maybe it makes me a bit of a geek but that rhyme "The road goes ever on and on " is always in my head whenever I start off on a trip.

jbrown14
30-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe it makes me a bit of a geek but that rhyme "The road goes ever on and on " is always in my head whenever I start off on a trip.

That is one of my favorites from the books. The Elvish stuff is more difficult...ha!

One of my favorite to ponder as I'm heading out for a bimble is:

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Metal mug
30-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I have read the fellowship of the ring, (a few years back) and what I like about it now is that a lot of the places in the book you can find similar places in Devon. For example the barrow downs, there's loads of them here. I'd better watch my back for barrow-wights. :D

Realbark
30-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Could be worse than barrow-wights. In essex there are loads of aw-wights

Edwin
30-03-2011, 06:09 PM
To capture the feelings that may have inspired Tolkien try and see a copy of "The Countryside Companion" edited by Tom Stephenson (there may be others with the same title) published by Odhams Press, Can't see a publishing date but most likely pre 1939. Chapters include
How to see the Countryside
Rural craftsmen
Wild Animals of the Countryside
Weather lore
Camping and caravanning
Along some Ancient Highways
etc

Have dipped into this book all my life along with another called Romantic Britain and enjoyed it every time. Oxbridge folk and publishers pre-war were all part of the same set of intellectuals who supported the National Trust, smoked pipes and had mixed groups of all genders on hikes and house parties.

David
05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Great inspirational book. Read it as a youngster and re-read it several times. Last time was a few years ago during a cycling-vacation with the kids. They were hanging on my lips to go on. Super stuff.

I hope the film will catch the feeling of the book. I thought Jackson didn't do a bad job on LOTR.

Al21
06-12-2011, 09:34 AM
A quality tale for sure, glad I've read the book before the chance to see the film though as I have my own ideas of how the characters look, sound and behave.

Must say that despite the lack of Bombadil and other bits from LOTR, Peter Jackson did a very good job, so I'll be pleased to see the film of the Hobbit.

Al

Remember though, for that's what Bilbo Baggins hates, so carefully, carefully with the plates!

WombleWill
06-12-2011, 09:59 AM
The LOTR's Films are very good, but nowhere near as good as the books, but books can captivate the whole of the story and its information whereas a film has to be limited or else it would be many hours long ;D

Will.