PDA

View Full Version : Tips for your Tatonka or Trangia alchohol stove burners

paul standley
30-03-2011, 08:47 PM
If you have a Tatonka or a Trangia then here's a few tips that might help you get a bit more out of your stove.

1. Get more heat out it - by using a wick sitting inside the burner well (see the images below of my Tatonka) you can get a faster cook time. The larger flame in the first image is using the wick which produces a bigger flame if you need more heat or a faster cook.
With the wick I use, which is made from carbon cloth so it does not burn away, I can boil 1 pint of water in a Stainless Steel caddie in 10 mins vs. 16 minutes without the wick. The wick is next to the burner in the 3rd image.
Yes it uses fuel faster but it gives you additional versatility when you need it. More applicable to cooking than boiling water but the comparison acts as an illustration.

2. Get a better grip on the cap - Wrap a couple of elastic bands around the outside of the cap to give you a better grip when twisting the lid on or off.

3. Leaky cap/seal ? - got a leaky cap, try making an 'O' ring with a piece of small diameter bungee cord and pop that in the top of the cap first and then sit the proper seal on top of that. it brings the seal closer to the burner ring and helps produce a better seal.

4. Ease a sticking cap - my Tatonka has a 'gritty' feel when tightening up the cap so I put some Vaseline on the thread on the INSIDE of the cap. Don't put it on the outside of the threads on the burner, it will burn off first time you use it.

Happy cooking.... Paul

Fletching
30-03-2011, 09:07 PM
2. inner tube! :)

paul standley
30-03-2011, 09:13 PM
2. inner tube! :)

Ah yes, good old bicycle inner tube. I found an old tube up the lane today, (as you do) i'll be cutting into various widths tomorrow...

GwersyllaCnau
30-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Great tips! Thanks! Will try out that wick idea

ether
30-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I got my Tatonka delivered yesterday so thanks for the tips, cap on my one feels a bit gritty too so will give the Vaseline idea a bash.

Haven't used it yet but seems like a cracking little stove, only cost me bout £12 with the flame adjuster thing as well.

Made a Hobo stove based on the Justin has in his video and sits in the snug, will hopefully be out at the weekend to test it out

https://picasaweb.google.com/107761708753035756959/Bushcraft?authkey=Gv1sRgCLr-jPariYmJkgE#5589989952422965058

https://picasaweb.google.com/107761708753035756959/Bushcraft?authkey=Gv1sRgCLr-jPariYmJkgE#5589990209549638418

Also interested to know what you guys think about storing the fuel in the stove. I know it's designed to do this but something about the idea of having the fuel in it doesn't appeal to me, has anybody had problems or do you find that it is 100% waterproof

GwersyllaCnau
30-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I used a Trangia for about 20 years until I lost it about 6 years ago, always kept the fuel in it and it never leaked and I never had any trouble with it. Over the last 6 years I've used and broken a few expensive stoves but have now gone back to the Trangia.

Fletching
30-03-2011, 10:18 PM
has anybody had problems or do you find that it is 100% waterproof

I've got the Tatonka. Mine's 100% leak proof, but I'd recommend replacing the 'O' ring every 3 years or so (purely from an engineering POV!).

Steve

ether
30-03-2011, 10:23 PM
cheers for the input guys. Sorry TS didn't mean to hijack the thread

resnikov
31-03-2011, 08:42 AM
One tip i have for any meth stoves is keep your meths in your tent (if camping) or just keep it well insulated so it dosn't get to cold overnight. That way when you try and use it first to make your first cup of coffee in the morning it lights easily from a spark. Had cold meths once and it took me ages to get it lit.

IBrown
31-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Great tips thanks Paul.

Is it true that if you add 10% water to your meths it will stop it from sooting the pans?

resnikov
31-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Great tips thanks Paul.

Is it true that if you add 10% water to your meths it will stop it from sooting the pans?

Not sure on the % but yes it does stop the sooting.

J_P
31-03-2011, 05:23 PM
dont bother with the water its not worth it i never have also with the seal just use the right amount of meths and let it burn out stops the worry of leakage and smell..

Realbark
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
If you are not using it in the tatonka stand put a strip if stove seal around the circumference and lightly meths up before lighting. This reduces the priming time considerably. Also works on other meths burners.

GwersyllaCnau
26-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I tried an experiment today using different fuels for a trangia. My brother can get as much laboratory grade ethanol, acetone and toluene as I could ever need, so I tried a bit of each to see which would be best.

I made one important discovery..... DON'T USE THESE CHEMICALS!!!

Acetone burnt with a HUGE flame that I could not put out but the flame was cold and a half full trangia only got 500ml of water luke warm (I let it burn all the fuel coz I couldn't get close enough to put it out). Also it burnt with alot of soot.

Ethanol was just plain dangerous.. turned my trangia into a bomb. It was hard to light, and when it did light it just sort of spat burning ethanol everywhere for a few seconds then went out.

Toluene...... 3ft noisy flame that used up the fuel in about 1 minute (about a half full trangia).

These chemicals were LABORATORY GRADE 1 which means they are over 99% pure, they may work better with less pure concentrations but I'm going to stick with BUYING meths...... lesson learned.

bigzee
26-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I tried an experiment today using different fuels for a trangia. My brother can get as much laboratory grade ethanol, acetone and toluene as I could ever need, so I tried a bit of each to see which would be best.

Acetone burnt with a HUGE flame that I could not put out but the flame was cold and a half full trangia only got 500ml of water luke warm (I let it burn all the fuel coz I couldn't get close enough to put it out). Also it burnt with alot of soot.

Ethanol was just plain dangerous.. turned my trangia into a bomb. It was hard to light, and when it did light it just sort of spat burning ethanol everywhere for a few seconds then went out.

Toluene...... 3ft noisy flame that used up the fuel in about 1 minute (about a half full trangia).

These chemicals were LABORATORY GRADE 1 which means they are over 99% pure, they may work better with less pure concentrations but I'm going to stick with BUYING meths...... lesson learned.
Just to add to that - don't try nail varnish remover either...I tried it once and you could end up removing more than nail-varnish!!

Nice tips Paul - all useful information.

Martin
26-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Now, that's what I call an experiment. What a huge service to the 'Bushcraft Community'; you did it so we don't have to. :D

Martin

GwersyllaCnau
26-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Just to add to that - don't try nail varnish remover either...I tried it once and you could end up removing more than nail-varnish!!

Nice tips Paul - all useful information.

The acetone is the base ingredient for nail varnish remover, I think if I remember right most nail varnish removers are about 5%
acetone, so you can imagine the effects I had with 99% LOL it was impressive but ultimately useless.... I think my son had the best reaction from half way up the garden.... stopped and stared for a few seconds and just quielty said wow.

paul standley
26-05-2011, 10:17 PM
As Martin said, saved us singeing our own eyebrows...!

Paul

kINGPIN
27-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Haha, this thread has made me chuckle but it has satisfied some of my curiosities. Cheers.

Alba Albion
27-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Best laugh I've had in a long time.

Alba Albion
27-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Good Blog. My wife sews for DMC and appreciated your wifes work.

Alba Albion
27-05-2011, 11:25 PM
That was for I Brown ( the crafty couple )

Ashley Cawley
19-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Great thread, thanks for sharing those tips Paul.

I've just accidently burnt the rubber o-ring that came with my Tatonka stainless steel burner :( don't suppose anyone knows a good place to get one?

I will probably have to experiment with making my own I imagine.

Bob W
20-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Don't use white spirit either, I tried it in the first popcan stove I made because I had no meths. It burns with a thick black smoke and annoys the better half especially when it's in the kitchen.

Bob W
20-01-2013, 04:30 PM

I've just accidently burnt the rubber o-ring that came with my Tatonka stainless steel burner :( don't suppose anyone knows a good place to get one?

O rings are a pain in my arris' at the moment. I've been trying to source some 6mm O/D x 3mm I/D for the fire pistons I make, a google search turned up one or two suppliers but they want silly money, I normally buy a mixed lot from B&Q but there's only 2 of the size I need in the pack.

What size do you need Ashley?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22o%22+rings&rlz=1C1AVSA_enGB459GB459&aq=f&oq=%22o%22+rings&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.19944&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There's normally plenty of the larger sizes.

happybonzo
21-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Silicon grease might be better as Vaseline will probably rot the neoprene seal in the cap

SimonB
21-01-2013, 05:05 PM

I've been thinking about this, as my trangia doesn't have an o ring, so wondered about a different approach..

I'm going to the car spares tomorrow, for some instant gasket.... Apply a bead around the inside of the lid, let it set, and it is supposed to be heat resistant, and prevents leaks...

Ashley Cawley
21-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Some good suggestions, it's a 2" O-ring that comes in the lid of the Tatonka, we had a good look in my Dad & uncles shed but none to match in there. I might try some alternative materials.

admo919
22-01-2013, 08:49 AM
i have both the trangia and tatonka burners, the trangia good old brass version works brilliantly, however the tatonka doesnt seem to want to prime!? any ideas??? i have tried keeping it warm, using less fuel, putting a meths little around the outside trying to warm it up and induce priming.....?????

any help appreciated.

rodger55@blueyonder.co.uk
27-01-2013, 07:25 AM
About the O ring, does a Trangia one not fit?

bigzee
27-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Silicon grease might be better as Vaseline will probably rot the neoprene seal in the cap
Vaseline PETROLEUM jelly also might not be a good idea for those who "accidentally" burn their o-rings, or they're likely to get a nasty shock and stress another kind of ring!!!

alvino78
27-01-2013, 11:42 AM
The acetone is the base ingredient for nail varnish remover, I think if I remember right most nail varnish removers are about 5%
acetone, so you can imagine the effects I had with 99% LOL it was impressive but ultimately useless.... I think my son had the best reaction from half way up the garden.... stopped and stared for a few seconds and just quielty said wow.

firstly thank you for taking your life in your own hands for this experiment! and secondly you can always rely on a childs response for dads greatness!!! lol well done that man!:)