PDA

View Full Version : Cramp ball Fungi

IBrown
31-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I have an old tree outside my house with the cramp ball on it. I was wondering what is the best way to remove the cramp balls without distroying them. I have felt them and they seem very secure on the tree. Any idea's?

Thanks
Ian

paul standley
31-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Hold the balls firmly and pull with a slight twisting motion.

Might make your eyes water but they'll come off easily enough and then you'll need to put them aside to dry out for a while.

Paul.

Martin
31-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Oh, and don't put them on a table or shelf in the house to dry them or you'll have black spores all over the house, and I mean ALL OVER THE HOUSE!!!

Martin

BUSHCRAFTTOOLS
31-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Get a firm grip and twist....it should pop off nicely if its dry. If its wet.....it will crumble and be no good to you.

Ive never noticed black spores in my house from drying them out.........saying that....I probably will next time! However, if you see white mould growing on them during the curing process, then wipe it off. (speed things up by putting them in the over at a low temp, or on the radiator)

What are you using them with? a firesteel?, ember exterder or for cooking on?

I find that if you look for ones that have their shell 100% intact, then theres a good chance the cramp ball will be dry, as they have a type of waterproof shell coating.

Kind alfred cakes are one of the best natural tinders we have in the UK.

IBrown
31-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Get a firm grip and twist....it should pop off nicely if its dry. If its wet.....it will crumble and be no good to you.

Ive never noticed black spores in my house from drying them out.........saying that....I probably will next time! However, if you see white mould growing on them during the curing process, then wipe it off. (speed things up by putting them in the over at a low temp, or on the radiator)

What are you using them with? a firesteel?, ember exterder or for cooking on?

I find that if you look for ones that have their shell 100% intact, then theres a good chance the cramp ball will be dry, as they have a type of waterproof shell coating.

Kind alfred cakes are one of the best natural tinders we have in the UK.

Probably a firesteel

I don't know what to use them for I just read that they are good fire starters. I have made a load of charcloth to take when I go anywhere but everytime I pull up in the car I notice these cramp balls.

Should I wait until we have a couple of dry days before attempting removal?

BUSHCRAFTTOOLS
31-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Just go for it........if the shells not broken then theres a good chance it will be dry. Dry ones weigh hardly anything and feel as though they are hollow and full of air.

If the shell appears broken then dont bother getting them off the tree as they will crumble and be no good to you.

Whats the tree outside your house? Is it Ash?

IBrown
31-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes its the remains of an old ash tree icut down years ago but left the stump about 3ft high. I have lots of ash and pine trees by my house..

BelfastBushcraft
06-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi,

There are alot rarer in my part of the world. A nice resource to have matey.

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi,

There are alot rarer in my part of the world. A nice resource to have matey.

I was gunna say the same thing. Hardly any around here. Mind you, not many ash trees around here either.

Ben Casey
09-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I managed to find six when I was out the other day :)

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I managed to find six when I was out the other day :)

I'll be there in the morning, scaling your balcony LOL if you have one that is, if not it'll be a whole lot easier hahaha

Ben Casey
09-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I'll be there in the morning, scaling your balcony LOL if you have one that is, if not it'll be a whole lot easier hahaha

Ground floor flat mate I will hang the rope out the window tho LOL I glad I put them in the shed tho as they leave a balck mark that is if they are them Im a starter I will post a pic in the morning for you :D

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
They should look like a lump of charcoal, thats been polished a little, but not quite as shiney, a bit like a black pebble, or a reindeer dropping....:p

Ben Casey
09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
They should look like a lump of charcoal, thats been polished a little, but not quite as shiney, a bit like a black pebble, or a reindeer dropping....:p

Well if a Reindeer dropped these ones I feel sorry for him he needs a vet for sure :D

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Could have been a big reindeer...:confused: lol

Ben Casey
09-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Could have been a big reindeer...:confused: lol

Rhino perhaps well not quite but I haven't seen the Reindeer droppings but one of them I have is at least 1 and half inches across I'm sure I will get a pic in the morning and measure them to :)

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
1 1/2 inches? So we're gunna start a competition to see who has the biggest balls now, are we? LOL

Ben Casey
09-04-2011, 10:25 PM
1 1/2 inches? So we're gunna start a competition to see who has the biggest balls now, are we? LOL

Right we need to list the competitions we are going to have I keep forgetting now LOL

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Right we need to list the competitions we are going to have I keep forgetting now LOL

Maybe we should start a thread for each one and offer some kind of prize LOL

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
So here are my Cramp balls well I hope they are the biggest is 3 and half inches across :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5605486633_a613b89a9a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5605486633/)
Cramp Balls 04 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5605486633/) by bencasey2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/60757769@N03/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5606068548_efb16a8e15.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5606068548/)
Cramp Balls 03 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5606068548/) by bencasey2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/60757769@N03/), on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/5605484751_c3bf51616d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5605484751/)
Cramp Balls 01 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60757769@N03/5605484751/) by bencasey2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/60757769@N03/), on Flickr

If not then god knows what I have been picking up they where stuck to a stump tho :D

J_P
10-04-2011, 01:16 PM
give em a tap if they are chocolate brown and sound dull they are still growing black and hart tapping noise there good to go...

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I just got back from looking for some, even went to an ancient forest made up of mostly ash, oak, birch and willow. Still no luck. not a cramp ball in sight. I did find quite a lot of birch bracket though. Grabbed one and sliced it up to dry, then it will be going into my tinder bag. Also found some chlamatis while I was out, and yesterday I found some cat tails. May go back for one of the big birch brackets to make a strop

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 05:24 PM
I just got back from looking for some, even went to an ancient forest made up of mostly ash, oak, birch and willow. Still no luck. not a cramp ball in sight. I did find quite a lot of birch bracket though. Grabbed one and sliced it up to dry, then it will be going into my tinder bag. Also found some chlamatis while I was out, and yesterday I found some cat tails. May go back for one of the big birch brackets to make a strop

I found mine just up the road in a country lane/path bettwen fields more luck than anything else :)

(give em a tap if they are chocolate brown and sound dull they are still growing black and hart tapping noise there good to go... )

They sound like that but are more black than brown I would say :)

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I still think they look like reindeer poop LOL

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I still think they look like reindeer poop LOL

I do to now but as I said if raindeer do them that big it has to be painfull LOL I need to get out for a walk and find some more stuff :)

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
It is surprising what you find when you really open your eyes and start scanning every single tree. The only reason I spotted the chlamatis was clambering through some undergrowth, in search of the illusive cramp balls

J_P
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
ive got some elk/moose sh1t if anyone wants some lol...

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I found the cramp balls quiet easy there where some walnut close by it to.

Humakt
11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Yup, they're crampballs.
You can tell by the concentric rings on the undersurface.
Let them dry out and they're good tinder (though I don't think as good as charcloth).

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Went out this morning to the local lake for a look around. No cramp balls, but plenty of bull rush for tinder.

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Went out this morning to the local lake for a look around. No cramp balls, but plenty of bull rush for tinder.

I dont hold much to the Bull rush as tinder I threw all my last lot on the fire LOL

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I haven't tried these yet. Will have a go in the near future and let y'all know lol

comanighttrain
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
out of interest where is the best pladce to find bull rush... been trying to find it to dig up the tubers but I have only ever seen it next to the motor way.... been scouring the bogs for it but have not came upon it so far

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I find all mine in the shallows at the edge of the local lake, the small nature reserve next to it, and the pocket park up the road. All these places have shallow fresh, fairly static, water, with plenty of reeds around. If a lake has moorhens, the chances are, it will have bull rushes too, as they both like the same environment.

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I find all mine in the shallows at the edge of the local lake, the small nature reserve next to it, and the pocket park up the road. All these places have shallow fresh, fairly static, water, with plenty of reeds around. If a lake has moorhens, the chances are, it will have bull rushes too, as they both like the same environment.

Do you mean Cat tails?

IBrown
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
One of the tree's outside my house

http://thecraftycouple.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/cramp-balls.jpg

comanighttrain
11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Do you mean Cat tails?

Yeah cat tails... I seen RM get edible tubers from the bottom of them...apparently they are around all year...

BelfastBushcraft
11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Tell me.
The only time I have found cramp balls growing is on the south side of Ash. There are plenty of Ash here but crampballs as I have said are rare. I have also noticed they seem to prefer dry but dead wood which is not punky.

Has anyone else any observations?

IBrown
11-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Tell me.
The only time I have found cramp balls growing is on the south side of Ash. There are plenty of Ash here but crampballs as I have said are rare. I have also noticed they seem to prefer dry but dead wood which is not punky.

Has anyone else any observations?
I have to agree with your observations BB..
The only Ash tree's that have Cramp Balls on as the one in the photo are dead tree's. The Live Ash tree's do not have any Cramp Balls on them and some are right next to the 3ft stump i took the picture of.

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Do you mean Cat tails?

Yes, thats the things, Typha to give them the correct name LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typha

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Cool lads I was getting confused LOL they are big uns for sure :)

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I didn't realise how much of the plant could be eaten until I looked into it LOL

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Are we talking cramp balls or eating the cat tails now LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry, the cat tails LOL. I wouldn't want to eat a cramp ball, even if it was edible haha.

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry, the cat tails LOL. I wouldn't want to eat a cramp ball, even if it was edible haha.

Just wondering that was all as I would have cooked a couple LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
feel free to try, let us know how long it takes them to pump your stomach, or how many litres of charcoal they make you drink LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
feel free to try, let us know how long it takes them to pump your stomach, or how many litres of charcoal they make you drink LOL

Thats why I checked first what you meant ;)

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Apparently, the birch bracket fungus can be eaten, giving a strong mushroom odour but a bitter taste. I wonder how many edible tinders there are?

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Apparently, the birch bracket fungus can be eaten, giving a strong mushroom odour but a bitter taste. I wonder how many edible tinders there are?

Thats something to look into I know that some tree leaves can be eaten

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I had a quick look and found the link below about bark I may try it one day.

http://www.suite101.com/content/winter-survival-foods-a37905

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I need to brush up on my treedentification first LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I need to brush up on my treedentification first LOL

Me to could be fun only ever treid the leaves once forgot now which ones are ok :(

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
All I know is pine needles = good, birch sap = good, apples/pears/blueberries etc = good LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 10:11 PM
All I know is pine needles = good, birch sap = good, apples/pears/blueberries etc = good LOL

There was some tree leaves I got shown once I will google it :)

Adam Savage
13-04-2011, 02:17 PM
lwt me know when you find out. I'm up for some foliage feasting haha

Ben Casey
13-04-2011, 04:00 PM
lwt me know when you find out. I'm up for some foliage feasting haha

I found these but I dont know which one I ate LOL Yew, Taxus baccata Oak, Elder, Beech, Hawthorn, Lime Sweet, chestnut maybe the guys on here will know better it could be a new thread maybe?

happybonzo
14-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Yew (Taxus Baccata) can and will send you off to see your Maker. The Poison Garden (http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/taxus_baccata.htm)

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Yew (Taxus Baccata) can and will send you off to see your Maker. The Poison Garden (http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/taxus_baccata.htm)

Cheers mate like I say when I was in the Army we got shown some but I cant remember and maybe some of the lads on here know which ones are safe like you :)
Thanks mate

J_P
14-04-2011, 09:20 AM
"If in doubt leave it out" True Yew seeds are highly Toxic (the word toxin is derived from Taxin which is the poison in a Yew) yet the sticky red outer layer isnt to attract birds to aid seed dispersal, personally id give Yew a wide berth, nowt personal like lol ;) !

im trying to get a picture of my mutant cramp ball up but photobuckets down!!!!

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure beech leaves are highly acidic too. I could have dreamt that though:confused2:

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm pretty sure beech leaves are highly acidic too. I could have dreamt that though:confused2:

Im not saying to eat them just trying to get info LOL

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Just read on another forum that young beech leaves taste of apple peel, and the older they get the harder they get, but they are ok to eat until the fall from the tree.

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Just read on another forum that young beech leaves taste of apple peel, and the older they get the harder they get, but they are ok to eat until the fall from the tree.

See we have an aim at the RV now LOL

MikeWilkinson
14-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Birch is good, you can make a tisane from the bark/twigs/leaves, the inner bark can be dried and ground down to make a rough flour, the sap for wine or part of a woodsmans tea.

I use the twigs along with some willow bark and pine needles to make a nice refreshing brew.

Oak leaves make a nice wine and the young 'uns can be eaten as a salad leaf, beech leaves make a good salad leaf but are much better used to make a beech leaf gin (use any Sloe Gin recipie , but with beech leaves instead of sloes).
Hawthorn Leaves just after they have burst from their Buds are pretty good. Also the Leaves of Lime trees are not bad as a salad leaf. Enjoy!

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Birch is good, you can make a tisane from the bark/twigs/leaves, the inner bark can be dried and ground down to make a rough flour, the sap for wine or part of a woodsmans tea.

I use the twigs along with some willow bark and pine needles to make a nice refreshing brew.

Oak leaves make a nice wine and the young 'uns can be eaten as a salad leaf, beech leaves make a good salad leaf but are much better used to make a beech leaf gin (use any Sloe Gin recipie , but with beech leaves instead of sloes).
Hawthorn Leaves just after they have burst from their Buds are pretty good. Also the Leaves of Lime trees are not bad as a salad leaf. Enjoy!

There ya go Ben, you have plenty to eat now lol

MikeWilkinson
14-04-2011, 11:53 AM
This is what happens when you have to take mutts for walk everyday what ever the weather!!! You try pretty much anything.

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 12:15 PM
lol

JonnyP
14-04-2011, 12:43 PM
One thing to note about Cramp balls is, its not a good idea to pick the purple coloured ones. They are the ones that have not yet spored and will make a mess of your house, as mentioned earlier. Just pick the lighter weight black ones.
Greater reed mace seed heads (bulrush, cat tail, or whatever its called these days) does not make a good tinder on its own. It goes up like petrol vapour, whoosh and its gone. It helps by mixing it in with other tinders..

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 01:13 PM
There ya go Ben, you have plenty to eat now lol

Cant wait to try it out with you Adam LOL

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 01:54 PM
One thing to note about Cramp balls is, its not a good idea to pick the purple coloured ones. They are the ones that have not yet spored and will make a mess of your house, as mentioned earlier. Just pick the lighter weight black ones.
Greater reed mace seed heads (bulrush, cat tail, or whatever its called these days) does not make a good tinder on its own. It goes up like petrol vapour, whoosh and its gone. It helps by mixing it in with other tinders..

It works reasonably well with a nest of bone dry grass. The whoosh is normally enough to ignite the grass I found. Due to the nature of grass (the rounded stem sort of thing) I find it hard to get a spark to land, and sit on it long enough to ignite straight off.

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Just been trying my birch bracket as tinder. Took a few strikes, but eventually got it to catch. It burns well, and the ember lasts a while, similar to cramp ball/ king alfred cakes.

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds cool mate I will bring my cramp balls with me to try with at the RV :)

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 09:50 PM
New plan my end, popping down to help Ivan with a few things on wed 20th then going to RV from there, so will have hardly any travel to worry about, and can arrive pretty much whenever. :)

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 10:07 PM
New plan my end, popping down to help Ivan with a few things on wed 20th then going to RV from there, so will have hardly any travel to worry about, and can arrive pretty much whenever. :)

Thats cool Ken and me are travelling down early hours Friday morning but it would be cool to get there earlier :)

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm stopping somewhere on, or near the moors or Ivan's site, on the night of the 20th, then out onto the moors thursday 21st, to help confirm a route plan/time with Ivan for the upcoming meet (should only take a 2-3 hours) then back to camp, thursday night there and then off to RV friday 22nd. He has a couple groups booked in to stay at his main camp area, so might have to find another spot if they want to be left alone, but I'm not bothered if I have to sleep on the moors, under a poncho LOL

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm stopping somewhere on, or near the moors or Ivan's site, on the night of the 20th, then out onto the moors thursday 21st, to help confirm a route plan/time with Ivan for the upcoming meet (should only take a 2-3 hours) then back to camp, thursday night there and then off to RV friday 22nd. He has a couple groups booked in to stay at his main camp area, so might have to find another spot if they want to be left alone, but I'm not bothered if I have to sleep on the moors, under a poncho LOL

Thats the way to be :) I will have to check with Ken what time we can set of we maybe able to meet up.

Adam Savage
14-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Thats the way to be :) I will have to check with Ken what time we can set of we maybe able to meet up.

Ok mate, sounds good. You got my number anyway and I have your's (I think LOL) so it shouldn't be to hard to locate each other, plus ken uses Miss TomTom too, so mine will lead me to the same place as his lol

Ben Casey
14-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Ok mate, sounds good. You got my number anyway and I have your's (I think LOL) so it shouldn't be to hard to locate each other, plus ken uses Miss TomTom too, so mine will lead me to the same place as his lol

Na she is my Miss Tomtom LOL

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Finally, I have found a mother load of king alfred's cakes. I grabbed a (large) handful, but I made sure I left about 80% behind.

The mora is for size comparison, as everyone has, or has had, a mora :)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/fungi%20and%20animal%20evidence/16042011596.jpg

Martin
16-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Finally, I have found a mother load of king alfred's cakes. I grabbed a (large) handful, but I made sure I left about 80% behind.

The mora is for size comparison, as everyone has, or has had, a mora :)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/fungi%20and%20animal%20evidence/16042011596.jpg

Will you stop going off topic!!!... Oh, hold on a second; as you were. ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Will you stop going off topic!!!... Oh, hold on a second; as you were. ;)

Martin

LOL I nearly mentioned something else but I though "NO...must show self control.." haha

Martin
16-04-2011, 06:02 PM
LOL I nearly mentioned something else but I though "NO...must show self control.." haha

See, you just couldn't help yourself could you? :p

Martin

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 06:05 PM
So...these new Gourmet rat pack.........:rolleyes:

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 06:17 PM
So...these new Gourmet rat pack.........:rolleyes:

:off-topic:

;)

Martin
16-04-2011, 06:31 PM
:off-topic:

;)

Ooh, good smiley. Could come in handy. :D

Martin

Adam Savage
16-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Ooh, good smiley. Could come in handy. :D

Martin

Can you add them to some kind of "speed dial" for Ben and I? lol

Ben Casey
16-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Can you add them to some kind of "speed dial" for Ben and I? lol

Love it I think Martin loves our banter secretly :D

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Love it I think Martin loves our banter secretly :D

As long as it's topic related LOL

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 11:11 AM
As long as it's topic related LOL

I just had a look at my cramp balls and got black fingers is that bad :(

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I just had a look at my cramp balls and got black fingers is that bad :(

I'm not sure. I checked my balls earlier, turned them and rearranged them a little, and I didn't get black fingers.

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure. I checked my balls earlier, turned them and rearranged them a little, and I didn't get black fingers.

I think I may have had mine in a damp shed but I turned mine to and put them on a piece of wood :) They could grow again LOL

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 02:38 PM
You could breed them LOL. I was thinking of putting some on a sheet of baking paper and popping them in the oven for a bit. Only two of mine are what I would call dry enough to be useful at the minute.

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 02:42 PM
You could breed them LOL. I was thinking of putting some on a sheet of baking paper and popping them in the oven for a bit. Only two of mine are what I would call dry enough to be useful at the minute.

I'm just going to leave mine and pack them next week for the RV if I put them out in the sun some one may pinch them and try and smoke them knowing one of my neighbours :D

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Would it be worth putting them on scrumpled newspaper? you know like you do with boots to help them dry?

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Would it be worth putting them on scrumpled newspaper? you know like you do with boots to help them dry?

Could be an idea but I wouldn't put them in the oven the spores might sort of you know get in there somehow :) You could try putting them on a sunny window sill on the outside :)

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 03:04 PM
The suns gone in now lol

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 03:09 PM
It is really nice here today and the sun is still out maybe try the oven then but it is still a few days till the RV

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Like I said, I have two that are dry enough to use as is, I don't think I'll need all of my balls for the RV, I have the cat tails, birch bark, amadou, birch bracket, char cloth and vaseline soaked cotton wool, so i think I'll be ok hahaha

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Like I said, I have two that are dry enough to use as is, I don't think I'll need all of my balls for the RV, I have the cat tails, birch bark, amadou, birch bracket, char cloth and vaseline soaked cotton wool, so i think I'll be ok hahaha

Oh well you have more than me I have a couple of sticks and my balls and some tampons :D

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 03:21 PM
now thats a night I don't really want to get involved with ;)

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 03:23 PM
now thats a night I don't really want to get involved with ;)

Me niether but they say nylons keep your legs warm to :D

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Now theres an idea, they would go great with my black n gold dress for the RV too.

Anyway back to balls...lol

I'm gunna measure my big un and see who has the biggest ball haha

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Now theres an idea, they would go great with my black n gold dress for the RV too.

Anyway back to balls...lol

I'm gunna measure my big un and see who has the biggest ball haha

Go for it mate maybe they will have a comp on the RV LOL We could all get our own ones out :)

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Lol

Martin
17-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Oh, and don't put them on a table or shelf in the house to dry them or you'll have black spores all over the house, and I mean ALL OVER THE HOUSE!!!

Martin

Told you so. :p

Martin

Ben Casey
17-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Told you so. :p

Martin

Thanks Martin :D

J_P
17-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Photobuckets carp n still down!! heres a pic http://woodlife.ning.com/photo/mutant-cramp-ball?context=user

http://woodlife.ning.com/photo/mutant-cramp-ball/next?context=user

http://woodlife.ning.com/photo/mutant-cramp-ball/next?context=user

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 08:44 PM
can't view those pics. it wants too much access to my facebook account and it says my gmail account doesn't exist for some reason lol

J_P
17-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Blast!! bloody internet, still cant beat that kodaK moment can you lol ;)

Adam Savage
17-04-2011, 08:57 PM
LOL but then you have to post them out to everyone, and have you seen the price of stamps lately?

Ben Casey
30-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Just been in my shed and have spores all over thank god I put them in there now :)

Adam Savage
01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
LOL, I haven't checked mine for over a week. I'm dreading it.

Ben Casey
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
LOL, I haven't checked mine for over a week. I'm dreading it.

Have fun mate I walked in and went WOW LOL

Adam Savage
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Have fun mate I walked in and went WOW LOL

I'll probably walk in and say "hmmmmmmmmm" haha

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Having a go at farming cramp balls now. Found a rotten old ash (standing), lobbed a 6-7 inch limb from it, placed a couple small cramp balls on it to drop spores, and mopped up spores from my other cramp balls with tissue, then poked into various places in the bark and rotten core. Hopefully I will find out if it's possible to grow your own king alfred cakes. The tree this limb was taken from had several cramp balls over it, so I know it's capable of sustaining them.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/05052011618.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/05052011619.jpg

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey thats a great idea I will have to go find one to in the morning :)

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey thats a great idea I will have to go find one to in the morning :)

This limb was around 15 feet up, if I had taken a ladder there would have been plenty of other limbs to have.

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
The one where I got my balls from was fallen down I will have a look in the morning to see what I can scavenge :)

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:07 PM
The one where I got my balls from was fallen down I will have a look in the morning to see what I can scavenge :)

I took my new silverline pruning saw with me, this made very short work of retrieving my chosen limb.

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I took my new silverline pruning saw with me, this made very short work of retrieving my chosen limb.

I was in ALDI today and got two of the ones they where selling they seem ok for £2.49 :)

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I was in ALDI today and got two of the ones they where selling they seem ok for £2.49 :)

I can sense some off topic chatter coming, did I start it? oops. You'll have to put a review up for them, or add them to the cutting tools section.

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Na dont worry mate did you see what Ivan put?

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure I know this Ivan fellow you speak of..LOL

Ben Casey
05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Oh he is this guy I think who pops up now and again a bit like that Martin you know :D

J_P
11-05-2011, 02:30 PM
BALLS!
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/JPLamoureux/photo-50.jpg
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/JPLamoureux/photo-48.jpg
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/JPLamoureux/photo-49.jpg

Ben Casey
11-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Thats a big one :)

Adam Savage
18-05-2011, 04:01 PM
There's a lot to be said about a man, by the size of his cramp balls....:p