PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Gortex Socks

Ashley Cawley
19-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey Folks,

I've developed a leak in my boot, a kind friend of mine (Matt) has lent me a pair of his waterproof Gortex socks. I've yet to try them (had a perfect opportunity to the other day but forgot to put them on! doh!).. anyway.. seeing as I've never used them before, I was interested to hear experiences from those who had, bad or good.

Thanks for your time,

Shewie
19-11-2010, 12:55 PM
If they're the black MOD ones Ash I think they're the best ones available, I've had a couple of bad experiences with Sealskinz but the MOD ones just keep on going.

Let us know how you get on with them.

They make an appearance at the end of my Sheil vid here ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjJQBqnm1nQ

Thumbcrusher
19-11-2010, 03:21 PM
If they're the black MOD ones Ash I think they're the best ones available, I've had a couple of bad experiences with Sealskinz but the MOD ones just keep on going.

I agree - the MOD ones are great! I've had the same pair for about ten years now and use them regularly and they're still waterproof. I've also got two pairs of sealskin socks which are frankly a pain in the behind.
They aren't particularly comfortable and your feet sweat in them as well. The other problem i've found is washing them 'cos they take ages to dry and you have to keep turning them inside out to get them to dry properly. Fortunately I had them bought for me so at least i didn't waste my money - i very rarely wear them because of the washing issues. A mate also had some sealskin socks and he put them on the radiator to dry and they shrunk about three sizes!!

The MOD ones are only about £8 - £10 a pair whereas sealskins are about £25 - £35 depending on the length!

Ashley Cawley
19-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for letting me know your experiences, I'm learning already!

These ones are green and black "Mustang Survival Socks, Bootliner type moisture vapour permeable"

greenpete
19-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't remember what make mine are but the keep my feet dry and they breath well enough, they just get very cold when my feet are wet.

Ashley Cawley
20-11-2010, 07:35 PM
So today I tried these Gortex socks for the first time, I was very impressed, after a day walking about in the wet my tired old boots were soaked through inside/out. At the end of the day my feet/socks were near enough dry! I will definitely be wearing them again, probably get some of my own for xmas.

Thanks for letting me borrow them Matt! :)

Ashley Cawley
20-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't remember what make mine are but the keep my feet dry and they breath well enough, they just get very cold when my feet are wet.
Pete did you wear normal socks inside the gortex ones?

greenpete
20-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Pete did you wear normal socks inside the gortex ones?
No, but I'm thinking now that it may be a good idea!
The gortex socks I have are quite thick and so I wouldn't have wanted to wear more socks inside, but I think I will try it!

Paul Webster
24-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Did a bit of a search on the tinternet...are these the kind of socks you have?
guardsarmygear.com/product_info.php?products_id=113&osCsid=5sp7j3n78fmkmj3mpd0edvpb92

(*Above link disabled by Admin, Reason: Unfortunately that website has been attacked and infected with malware, it is unknowingly kicking out viruses to it's visitors)

Shewie
24-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Did a bit of a search on the tinternet...are these the kind of socks you have?
(*Above link disabled by Admin, Reason: Unfortunately that website has been attacked and infected with malware, it is unknowingly kicking out viruses to it's visitors)

Yeah that's em

Good price too, well found

sleeping bags
30-11-2010, 01:52 PM
not really relevant to the socks, but as for boot leaks, i took an old mtb trick for punctured mtb tyres and transfered it to my boots, i now carry a small piece of bike innertube with me (4") in my first aid kit, if i get a leak i use a piece of this and a bit of superglue, (aslo in my 1st aid kit) to patch it up, it works a treat especially with the weight of my body on it. top tip: carry a piece of innertube and superglue, job done :)

greenpete
30-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Nice one! I'll remember that, thanks! :)

Ashley Cawley
01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Ok, I'm sold! I want to get some MOD Gortex socks (hopefully for my birthday at the end of Jan).. but I'm having trouble sourcing some in my size online. Where would be the best place to get some size 10 UK?

Matt
02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok, I'm sold! I want to get some MOD Gortex socks (hopefully for my birthday at the end of Jan).. but I'm having trouble sourcing some in my size online. Where would be the best place to get some size 10 UK?

Hey bud, why don't you just keep the ones you got ;), happy birthday:D.

Martin
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
And they all lived happily ever after. ;)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey bud, why don't you just keep the ones you got ;), happy birthday:D.
Can't do that! :ashamed: Then you've got the hassle of getting another pair!

Aww bud, you really sure? :o ... I don't mind finding my own honestly.

Matt
02-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Can't do that! :ashamed: Then you've got the hassle of getting another pair!

Aww bud, you really sure? :o ... I don't mind finding my own honestly.

No worries my friend, they're yours ;).

Fletching
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Ooh, I'll have some of them!

Steve

Fletching
02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
not really relevant to the socks, but as for boot leaks, i took an old mtb trick for punctured mtb tyres and transfered it to my boots, i now carry a small piece of bike innertube with me (4") in my first aid kit, if i get a leak i use a piece of this and a bit of superglue, (aslo in my 1st aid kit) to patch it up, it works a treat especially with the weight of my body on it. top tip: carry a piece of innertube and superglue, job done :)

...inner tube's good for lighting fires in the wet too.

KERNOW KELT
10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I have to agree with the other chaps....I also like the green mod boot liners, Prefer them to boots with the gortex liner intergrated in the boot. A simple [much like myself] unlinned pair of boots,with a liner or sock, if needed ?! My preference.
On that subject, does anyone have any knowledge of the ROGUE range of boots ?
Dave