PDA

View Full Version : Tenth Wonder camo compact hammock

Adam Savage
05-04-2011, 11:36 AM
The blurb...

Made from tough 190T quick drying ripstop nylon, this hammock can be used as a cocoon enclosure. The weight is kept down further because it does not require a zip. No zip means that it packs down smaller than those with zips. It requires little space in your rucksack and can be tied onto the outside of it. Used as a regular lie-in hammock, it's double-layered - very strong.
The hammock comes with about 6 metres of rope, which is flat and does not roll down surfaces. In fact the more weight in the hammock, the tighter it grips

The spec...

Measurements: 2.3m long 1.45m wide
Weight: approximately 495g
Colour: camouflage design
Comes with its own stuffsack
Rope supplied: 6 metres

Price = £18.00 approx, inc delivery

I have used this hammock for a good few nights sleep now, and after the first couple of nights I found the relatively short length, meant my feet were squashed together and felt uncomfortable. I then made a spreader bar (around 11 inch long) to mount at the foot end, which eliminated this problem completely. Every night since the conversion, I have had a great nights sleep and woken with no aches or pains.

My verdict on this product, is if you want a cheap hammock that weighs less than the DD camping hammock, then this will do the trick as long as you are either less than 5'5", or you add a short spreader bar to the toe end.

If I have missed anything, or you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Here's a couple links for purchasing one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Camouflage-Compact-Camping-Hammock-/370493883276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564328038c

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Camouflage-Compact-Camping-Hammock-/370494666356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item564333f674

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Looks cool mate I like the spreader bar Idea

GwersyllaCnau
05-04-2011, 03:54 PM
You've just answered one of my so far un-asked questions. I was going to ask if a spreader bar works coz I like the foot box idea in the warbonnet blackbird..... But I've never even seen a hammock in real life let alone slept in one.

Adam Savage
05-04-2011, 04:40 PM
You've just answered one of my so far un-asked questions. I was going to ask if a spreader bar works coz I like the foot box idea in the warbonnet blackbird..... But I've never even seen a hammock in real life let alone slept in one.

Ivan's little girl slept in a hammy for the first time at the weekend and she didn't want to get out of it. She slept late and got back into it as soon as the camp was running down that night. They are great for compact carry and a cosy sleep. The main thing is to not give up if your first night is a little less comfy, as it could be you need to raise one end slightly, or you have it too taught, or even you just need a bar at the toe end. I personally find having the foot end 4 inches higher than the head end stops you sliding toward that end during the night too, without being so high as to drain all the blood from your feet lol.

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Ivan's little girl slept in a hammy for the first time at the weekend and she didn't want to get out of it. She slept late and got back into it as soon as the camp was running down that night. They are great for compact carry and a cosy sleep. The main thing is to not give up if your first night is a little less comfy, as it could be you need to raise one end slightly, or you have it too taught, or even you just need a bar at the toe end. I personally find having the foot end 4 inches higher than the head end stops you sliding toward that end during the night too, without being so high as to drain all the blood from your feet lol.

I have my best sleeps in a hammy I slept in my bed last night and was up and down all night and my back was killing all day today :( So I think I'm gonna get some big screws for my wall and just sleep in it all the time :)

Adam Savage
05-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I have my best sleeps in a hammy I slept in my bed last night and was up and down all night and my back was killing all day today :( So I think I'm gonna get some big screws for my wall and just sleep in it all the time :)

I feel the same after even a couple nights in a hammock, sleep in a "normal" bed and ache all over the next day or two. I have a couple screw in eyes I might put up too lol.

Ben Casey
05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I feel the same after even a couple nights in a hammock, sleep in a "normal" bed and ache all over the next day or two. I have a couple screw in eyes I might put up too lol.

My Hammock cost £39.99 and I get a brill sleep :) I have a king size bed ortho matress at over a £1000 and every night is bad I think I could have saved a bit of money:)

GwersyllaCnau
05-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Damn plasterboard walls

Adam Savage
11-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Might invest in one of those hammock frames, saves drilling the walls LOL

Ben Casey
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Might invest in one of those hammock frames, saves drilling the walls LOL

You can get them online ready made LOL

robin
12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I use the Tenth Wonder Black XL Hammock, being 6' 4" I needed something a little longer and at 2.8m in length it suits me perfectly. I fitted some metal o-rings either end as drip rings but I do need to replace the standard tree-huggers, which weigh a tonne when wet, with some climbing tape. All in all for a very cheap, lightweight hammock it does everything I need a hammock to do.

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I use the Tenth Wonder Black XL Hammock, being 6' 4" I needed something a little longer and at 2.8m in length it suits me perfectly. I fitted some metal o-rings either end as drip rings but I do need to replace the standard tree-huggers, which weigh a tonne when wet, with some climbing tape. All in all for a very cheap, lightweight hammock it does everything I need a hammock to do.

Good idea, with the climbing tape. Might have to do that myself. I added two pairs of the DMM crabs they make just for DD. £11 a pair is cheaper than any other climbing grade crabs I've seen with a 10kn gate open load, and at 35g each, much lighter than my old quick links I had. The rope/webbing stuff is all I need to sort now. Now I have something to look for LOL.

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I got two of these Lhotse climbing nylon sling 240 with two crabs one at each end seems to work ok :) I got them on Ebay

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 04:40 PM
I got two of these Lhotse climbing nylon sling 240 with two crabs one at each end seems to work ok :) I got them on Ebay

I'll get looking on evilbay for some strops then LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll get looking on evilbay for some strops then LOL

Hang on I will post the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270662849138&var=570010734967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Hang on I will post the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270662849138&var=570010734967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I was thinking cheaper LOL here's what I have found so far

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110664089758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110662459726&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I was thinking cheaper LOL here's what I have found so far

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110664089758&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110662459726&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks good mate I went for my option as it was easy I just wrap it round a tree one loop through the other and don't have to bother to much with knots :) The plus on mine is I don't have away of joining the ends and it was already done for me.

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
If you just tie the two ends together, and make a loop, it does the same job. and with two 5m length, I should have plenty of adjustment.

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
If you just tie the two ends together, and make a loop, it does the same job. and with two 5m length, I should have plenty of adjustment.

I'm just lazy :D

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm just lazy :D

Is that why you decided to be a scaley, but found out it's not just making telephone calls? LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Is that why you decided to be a scaley, but found out it's not just making telephone calls? LOL

They told me I would have a proffesion when I came out and I believed them LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
They told me I would have a proffesion when I came out and I believed them LOL

They said the same to me, but they never said which proffesion LOL. I drove the DAFs a couple times but never got a license. I did get an FLT license from them though.

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
They said the same to me, but they never said which proffesion LOL. I drove the DAFs a couple times but never got a license. I did get an FLT license from them though.

I got track and put inside a few times for parking 4 tonners LOL And I can still do (CQ DE 0 K) LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
I got track and put inside a few times for parking 4 tonners LOL And I can still do (CQ DE 0 K) LOL

Don't get me started on stories lol

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Don't get me started on stories lol

Roger out LOL
We will get wrong one of these days as all the threads we get involved in go onto totally the wrong track then someone has to jump in to put it back to where it started :D Must be a sqauddie thing LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
it's ok, this is one of my reviews LOL

Ben Casey
12-04-2011, 10:27 PM
it's ok, this is one of my reviews LOL

Ah thats cool then I bet someone jumps in soon tho LOL

Adam Savage
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
And I wondered how you keep getting more and more posts against your name haha