PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a camp location.

custard
05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi, ive been interested in bushcraft for years, but never have been able to go on a true 'expedition' because of lack of knowledge of where I can camp. I want to know how you know if a place is suitable for a camp, with a fire and a lack of disturbance from the landowner or troublemakers etc etc, every time I try we end up getting moved on or disturbed all night.:confused2::confused2::mad2:

Martin
05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Well, if you ask the land owner for permission, and he grants it, you won't have any problem from him. As far as problems with trouble makers is concerned, I would say that the futher you are from the beaten track the safer you will be but conversely, the further you will be from safety if you do get trouble.

Where abouts in the world are you? This would help to narrow the advice down a bit.

Martin

custard
05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I have thought about seeking landowner permission before, but don't know where to find their details, is there a website?
I'm in Nottinghamshire, a town called Hucknall which Is in lovely easy reach of the peak district and sherwood forest :-)

Martin
05-04-2011, 02:25 PM
The problem is, you've asked such an open question. There is no 'website' per se, which lists land owners although, if you had some specific land in mind, you could make an enquiry with the Land Registry or your local authority who will more than likely hold details of the land owner. Alternatively, why not knock on the door of the nearest property and politely enquire if they know who owns the land? Chances are, in a rural setting, they'll know.

Finally, if you keep getting moved on, they you are probably not doing it right. Tell us more about the times you've been moved on.

Martin

klause
05-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Try this Custard - just pop in your post code...

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/visit-woods/search/Pages/search-for-a-wood.aspx

Then pop the grid ref in here...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newdefaulte2.htm

HTH...Iain & Jack....

P.S. you can use the 'Woodland Trust' link to contact the land owner too.

chris grace
05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I spend a lot of time knocking on doors and approaching people I see near woodland,I find this is about the best way to find a landowner.

paul standley
05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Try this Custard - just pop in your post code...

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/visit-woods/search/Pages/search-for-a-wood.aspx

Then pop the grid ref in here...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newdefaulte2.htm

HTH...Iain & Jack....

P.S. you can use the 'Woodland Trust' link to contact the land owner too.

The woodland Trust site is great, I'll find that very useful myself for sure- thanks Klause

klause
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
No problem Paul, just glad its of use to you pal...

Adam Savage
06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
I spend a lot of time knocking on doors and approaching people I see near woodland,I find this is about the best way to find a landowner.

In my experience, I get more response by...

1) check a local OS map for the nearest property to the place you want to use (they sometimes include a boundary line for larger places) and OS maps give you the name of the property too if it's a farm, manor or whatever.
2) Send either a letter to this address (which can usually be obtained from the internet somewhere) or an email (if the property has been used for a B&B, fishery, conservation project, etc. it will normally have a web page or email address)
3) If there is a landline number for the property, it may be worth calling to enquire.

Generally just turning up on the doorstep can either cause alarm, a feeling of invasion, or if you're young and unpresentable, they will tell you to take a hike LOL.
If they don't own the land you wish to use, they will (as Martin said) let you know who does, as they normally know.

A word of warning though. Don't mention fires until you have been using the land for a few months. Stick to gas stoves, meths stoves, or (at a push) twig burners.
This gives them chance to see you are trustworthy and sensible enough, not to start a forest fire.
And lastly, whatever happens, never, never, ever, get upset if they say no. It's their land, they have the last say, they deserve your respect.

Hope that helps a little.

Adam

ether
08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
alright Custard (love the user name)

in the exact same boat, i live in Bournemouth and have the same problem with struggling to find suitable places to practice Bushcraft. I've just contacted some local landowners of woodland nearby and i'm hoping to get their permission. Adam's post gives some good advice and you won't go wrong following it.

Apart from that there aren't a whole lot of options, to the best of my knowledge most foresty commision and national parks are fairly strict on wild camping apart from Dartmoor and even stricter on open fires. So that basically leaves campsites that allow fires which dont really give a true sense of being in the wilderness.

http://campfires.co.cc/
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

anyways good luck hope you find a suitable site, let us know how you get on

alex

comanighttrain
09-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Scotland. Get off the train and the campsite is all around you.

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Scotland. Get off the train and the campsite is all around you.

i'll second that. Gray Mare's Tail is a good beginner spot. waterfall, mountain, changing terrain polished off with a loch at the top, giving amazing views, just watch out for the low flying jets underfoot LOL

comanighttrain
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
It's worse when they do night flying, scares the bejesus out of you haha

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
It's worse when they do night flying, scares the bejesus out of you haha

I can imagine lol

Jack Draw
09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Good thread. What about choosing a camp site in Ireland? I have been thinking of just going to the local mountains (which are a national park) and camping but doing so is forbidden. Though you can ask permission from a forest manager.

Maybe I should just do it anyway and set-up camp late.

Southern Ireland is my location.

Adam Savage
09-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Good thread. What about choosing a camp site in Ireland? I have been thinking of just going to the local mountains (which are a national park) and camping but doing so is forbidden. Though you can ask permission from a forest manager.

Maybe I should just do it anyway and set-up camp late.

Southern Ireland is my location.

No idea on laws in Ireland. The only guy I can think could help is BelfastBushcraft. i know thats northern Ireland, but it's the nearest guy I know. Sorry bud

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/member.php?3247-BelfastBushcraft

Jack Draw
09-04-2011, 11:40 PM
No idea on laws in Ireland. The only guy I can think could help is BelfastBushcraft. i know thats northern Ireland, but it's the nearest guy I know. Sorry bud

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/member.php?3247-BelfastBushcraft

Cheers.

Northern Ireland is only a short train ride away. I can easily and cheaply go anywhere on the island.

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Cheers.

Northern Ireland is only a short train ride away. I can easily and cheaply go anywhere on the island.

No promblem JD

swkieran
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
jd what about wicklow,or kennedys aboreutiom i saw that when i was seeing some family in ire last year,extensive woodland

Jack Draw
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
jd what about wicklow,or kennedys aboreutiom i saw that when i was seeing some family in ire last year,extensive woodland

Yes, I am planing to go to the Wicklow Mountains (sometimes called the Dublin Mountains) for my first trip. However I have been in touch with the forestry service and they informed me that "wild camping" is not permitted without the express permission of forest managers - the mountains encompasses several forests, each one managed by a different manager (or something like that anyway).

I can easily get a bus or tram to a suburb called Tallaght and walk to the forest from there, but I don't want forest rangers interfering with me.

As an aside, I was informed that hikers and campers leave kit out there! That stuff is expensive so I don't know why people leave it behind.

What is and where is "kennedys aboreutiom"?

swkieran
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM
kennedys ab is in wexford jd ill have to explore east coast of ireand a bit more, i usally get off the ferry and drive over to the west :),im suprised the officials like rangers hassle you.i got pulled over by the gards 2wice for breaking the speed limit because im used to mph and not kmh lol,and they let me off which was good of them in england you would get a ticket