PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else tried to light this with a striker?

comanighttrain
07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Impossibru!

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=460

Simply could not get it to light, had to use a lighter...

RobbC
07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Im sure theres a video on the main NB website with Ash lighting it. I think its called firesteel with a dozen different tinders...

Robb

paul standley
07-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I was at a small meet a few weeks ago when a lad light some green heat with a firesteel so it can be done but never used green heat myself. (Squeeze it out of the sachet first of course)...

RobbC
07-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Just found the video...
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fire/firesteel-a-dozen-different-tinders.html
Hope this helps.

Robb

comanighttrain
07-04-2011, 02:14 PM
that is so wierd... I had it in my crusader cooker and fired a lot of sparks onto it however it wouldnt light... Ill give it another go this weekend... I was on an elevation and it was pretty cold

Ben Casey
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Are they not the same as what they use for food warmers?

J_P
07-04-2011, 04:28 PM
as its alcohol based its better in cold weather if kept close to the body or warm just before lighting it, but a ferro rods how i light it, i used it when it first come out with a crusader stove didnt like it personally..

klause
07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
That website is propper expensive - aimed at kids too, shame on them.....

Realbark
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I did manage to light it with a ferro but admittedly in the garage :ashamed:. I dont like the stuff as i find it messy and in spite of the claim you can burn the sachet, was left with a messy residue in the stove. Dont get me started on the pack that burst!

comanighttrain
07-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I did manage to light it with a ferro but admittedly in the garage :ashamed:. I dont like the stuff as i find it messy and in spite of the claim you can burn the sachet, was left with a messy residue in the stove. Dont get me started on the pack that burst!

Yep... my stove is all covered in black stuff... shoulda stuck with the hexamine

Klause - yeah I was looking at their prices.. gits

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I have heard nothing but poor comments for that greenheat. Mind you, the gelert type fuel tabs (you know those round things) say a litre of water can be boiled in 4 minutes with 4 tablets....that's just a blatant lie. it takes 6-7 tabs, the first 4 to get things warm, then add a tab every time the flames die down, taking around 10 minutes in total. Nothing beats the good old issue hexy blocks for solid fuel burners. Half a chunk will get your crusader bubbling, in around 5 minutes.

comanighttrain
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Yep.. im sold on hexi blocks... Cant really use them without an opening in your tent, tarp or whatever though....that smell gives me a headache

Ben Casey
08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Im with the crazy one :)

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the smell is an acquired taste, so to speak LOL. Keeps the bugs away though haha

Ben Casey
08-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the smell is an acquired taste, so to speak LOL. Keeps the bugs away though haha

I love the stuff never lets you down but becareful on a windy day LOL

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I love the stuff never lets you down but becareful on a windy day LOL

I need to get some more. I've only had one box of the proper stuff for the last 8-9 years, haven't brought myself to break into it until I can get some more, too many memories from this little waxy box of chemical delights LOL

Ben Casey
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I had some last year when I helped out with the Army Cadets brought back loads of memories like the old egg banjo at three in the morning with dirty oily hands :D

Adam Savage
08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
LOL, sounds almost as appealing as army curry haha, only good for two things that, degreasing engines and killing grass

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 05:45 PM
LOL, sounds almost as appealing as army curry haha, only good for two things that, degreasing engines and killing grass

I fried an egg in Forgewood but none of us wanted to eat it it went a bit errmmmmmm black so we boiled some instead when I looked at it it brought back some memories LOL

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Ahhhh the black/grey scrambled egg, crispy fried egg, sloppy tomatoes and endless amounts of rock hard bacon, charcoal sausages and pale baked beans LOL

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Ahhhh the black/grey scrambled egg, crispy fried egg, sloppy tomatoes and endless amounts of rock hard bacon, charcoal sausages and pale baked beans LOL

I know I miss it all so much :D

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm sure if we try hard enough, we could recreate something that resembles army nosh. ;)

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm sure if we try hard enough, we could recreate something that resembles army nosh. ;)

We can go fot it it will be cool but Ken and Fletch didnt look happy when it was cooked :D

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Whats wrong with them? have they never seen real food before? LOL It's MAN food :war:, high in...erm...fat? :rolleye:

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Whats wrong with them? have they never seen real food before? LOL It's MAN food :war:, high in...erm...fat? :rolleye:

Love it LOL We can do some cooking when we meet up then see everyone run LOL Either for the hills or the thunder box :D

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Probably the last one knowing my culinary skills haha. I'll have to source some cast iron pans (or an old oil drum) and those bulk tins, that only HM forces seem to be able to get lol

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Probably the last one knowing my culinary skills haha. I'll have to source some cast iron pans (or an old oil drum) and those bulk tins, that only HM forces seem to be able to get lol

Ive seen a few around but never buy them just to big but would be great for a meeting :)

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Ive seen a few around but never buy them just to big but would be great for a meeting :)

I'll have to pop to the local cash n carry, they must have some, or something similar. For a great cooking idea, I met a guy called john at the BCUK meet in Dartmoor, He cut a jerry can in half, like a suitcase, and filled it with charcoal and firewood, with a grill in the middle. The idea is you just open it up, light it, pop the grill on, and start cooking. I have an old jerry, so might have a crack.

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I'll have to pop to the local cash n carry, they must have some, or something similar. For a great cooking idea, I met a guy called john at the BCUK meet in Dartmoor, He cut a jerry can in half, like a suitcase, and filled it with charcoal and firewood, with a grill in the middle. The idea is you just open it up, light it, pop the grill on, and start cooking. I have an old jerry, so might have a crack.

That sounds cool but make sure you have plenty of ventalation when you cut it :) There is loads of stuff around to buy just not the money :(

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
That sounds cool but make sure you have plenty of ventalation when you cut it :) There is loads of stuff around to buy just not the money :(

Are they galvanised normally? I know that stuff gives of cyanide when you cut, heat or weld it. I know what you mean with the money side of things. Thats why I'm more of a budget crafter. The most expensive bit of my kit is my DD tarp, closely followed by my sleeping bag. Those are the two areas I wanted decent kit. Keeping warm and dry, are the main things. LOL

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Are they galvanised normally? I know that stuff gives of cyanide when you cut, heat or weld it. I know what you mean with the money side of things. Thats why I'm more of a budget crafter. The most expensive bit of my kit is my DD tarp, closely followed by my sleeping bag. Those are the two areas I wanted decent kit. Keeping warm and dry, are the main things. LOL

I think they are I know they do something with it:) Im on a spending pause now for the RV and the roadtrip need to save some smarties LOL

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I think they are I know they do something with it:) Im on a spending pause now for the RV and the roadtrip need to save some smarties LOL

Tell you what, I'll cut it open and let you know LOL, all I need is an S10 with fresh filters haha. I must say I'm fully booked for the next couple months, with foraging, overnighters and weekends. Throw into that some Ten Tors Training, with full kit up n down the face of the local viaduct (remains of) and possibly a video or two for youtube LOL.

Ben Casey
10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Its the busy season now mate :) I need a decent camera to do some decent vids esp when I'm experimenting with fire LOL :)

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Its the busy season now mate :) I need a decent camera to do some decent vids esp when I'm experimenting with fire LOL :)

Do they make flame retardant handy cams? LOL I use a samsung smx-f50. It's not HD but its good enough for me. Got it at christmas for £139.99. My DSLR has 720p HD video, but the frame rate is lower, making videos look jerky, and for a camera that cost £400, thats not very impressive. Martin and Ash can recommend good cameras I hear.

comanighttrain
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
well chaps i tried today but to no avail....got some proper still fizzing when they hit the ground sparks too... I must be doing something wrong...might have to try this on the steps outside my flat for a few hours to get it

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 09:56 PM
well chaps i tried today but to no avail....got some proper still fizzing when they hit the ground sparks too... I must be doing something wrong...might have to try this on the steps outside my flat for a few hours to get it

Which fire steel are you using? I found the cheap, large fire steels from ebay, although they give off lots of sparks from the striker, they just aren't hot enough for trouble tinders like green heat. The light my fire ones work much better.

comanighttrain
10-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I was thinking that is possible, this was some cheap throw in that came with the crusader set

Adam Savage
10-04-2011, 10:08 PM
It might be worth trying one of the light my fire mini fire steels. You can get them on ebay for £3.40 plus £1 P&P and they are the perfect size to go into a survival tin too.

comanighttrain
23-04-2011, 03:17 PM
hey chaps, had a go with a magnesium block I had laying around... managed to light it but it got blown out immediately...bloody wind...

Also managed to get a pile of megnesium scrapings to light...was a bit tired so didnt really do too much other than lie in the sun next to the fire....was a very chilled out day

Adam Savage
25-04-2011, 04:11 PM
cool. glad you had some success at last.

Martin
25-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Just to bring this thread back to the original point. ;)

I have heard this stuff described as Gorilla Snot, and heard that it is just as difficult to light. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ashley wrote to the company that makes this stuff and never got a reply from them, although he may give a more full account of this.

Martin

comanighttrain
25-04-2011, 06:30 PM
cool. glad you had some success at last.

thanks man, going to order one of the light my fire ones when I order my axe still though... something tells me making a small pile of fine magnesium powder will be tricky in most conditions.... still felt good to get just a little something!

comanighttrain
25-04-2011, 06:31 PM

I have heard this stuff described as Gorilla Snot, and heard that it is just as difficult to light. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ashley wrote to the company that makes this stuff and never got a reply from them, although he may give a more full account of this.

Martin

The whole "non flare" formula is not the best idea for sparking i think... meh.... seen it lit with a fire stick before...but that may possibly have been an old formula?

Adam Savage
25-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Martin

Don't worry, We were still talking about lighting the "stuff" :p

comanighttrain
05-05-2011, 06:23 PM
well managed to light cotton and a tissue today... gonna practice more!

Adam Savage
05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
well managed to light cotton and a tissue today... gonna practice more!

Cool, no matter what it is, it's great to try new things, and even better when you have success