PDA

View Full Version : Bow Drill methods

MikeWilkinson
18-04-2011, 09:19 AM
In tryring to improve my Bow drill success using natural cordage I have been putting a lot of effort into researching different methods of stringing the bow and the spindle and also other methods of fire by friction (pump drills, two spindle drills, etc)

One of the biggest things I have found to be of use, is the egyptian method of wrapping the spindle

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/bowdrill/egyptian/index.html

I have found that this not only reduces pressure on the cord - meaning smaller diameter or weaker natural cordage can be used more successfully, but also provides a more stable and smooth bowing action meaning a better success rate for beginners and advanced fire by friction guru's a like.

I have also found an interesting article concerning Elm and Yucca as perhaps the best woods for using, claiming a mere three strokes of the bow to get an ember that can be blown upon instantly with no settling period (something I shall be investigating this evening I think). This was written in 1937 by a 7.5 second bow drill champion.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/bowdrill/DudleyWinnSmithBowdrill.pdf

Hope you all find this useful.

RobbC
18-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Great Mike! With the help of these links i may finaly suceed with a bowdrill.

Robb

luresalive
18-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Bow drill is over rated and I've always dismissed it as a primitive method simply because 99% of people use paracord for the string, So you have my utmost admiration for trying to do this properly and not kidding yourself, I have only ever managed one ember with a home made flax cord for my bow...I hate to think how hard it would be to do this in the field and have to make all parts including the string from whats around you at the time, not that it's impossible, I've seen it done but not by me!!!

JonnyP
18-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Bow drill is over rated and I've always dismissed it as a primitive method simply because 99% of people use paracord for the string, So you have my utmost admiration for trying to do this properly and not kidding yourself, I have only ever managed one ember with a home made flax cord for my bow...I hate to think how hard it would be to do this in the field and have to make all parts including the string from whats around you at the time, not that it's impossible, I've seen it done but not by me!!!
Leather thong is good to use mate, and would of probably been used by primitive man.

luresalive
18-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Leather thong is good to use mate, and would of probably been used by primitive man.

I agree completely Jonny, but again, trying to get it in the field rather than bring it with you is a real challenge.

JonnyP
18-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree completely Jonny, but again, trying to get it in the field rather than bring it with you is a real challenge.

Haha, yes it is.

MikeWilkinson
18-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Managed to get it to work tonight with a piece of jute cord, doubled and reverse wrapped, the egyptian wrap on the spindle is the key, really takes the strain off the cord, you can get away with a little slack in it too. I reckon I could probably get away with two or three more goes too. The jute is significantly weaker than any willow or yucca cord I have made.

Get out there and give it a go is what I say.