PDA

View Full Version : Badgers

comanighttrain
21-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey guys,

Was thinking about trying to spot some badgers, what sort of area are they generally found in?

Martin
21-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Normally, in hedge rows, field margins, banks etc. In fact, anywhere they can do some damage. Once you find a sett, it's not hard to recognise it as there will be loads of earth piled up outside.

Martin

http://pbc.codehog.co.uk/bhs/pics/200408/badger_set_29aug04_420.jpg

Metal mug
21-04-2011, 10:23 AM
To add to what Martin said, another clue to finding badgers is their latrines. Little holes in the ground fillied with you know what. They're little non leathal land mines. (Although the smell is) :evilgrin:

bigzee
21-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I'd get a move on Badger watching if I were you. If the ones near you are anything like the ones in the E. midlands at the moment, they'll all have suicidal tendancies and be heading for the nearest highway. I've never seen so many "natural speed bumps" as I have this year!

Roadkillphil
21-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd get a move on Badger watching if I were you. If the ones near you are anything like the ones in the E. midlands at the moment, they'll all have suicidal tendancies and be heading for the nearest highway. I've never seen so many "natural speed bumps" as I have this year!

According to Titchmarsh, its the clocks changing that knackers it up for the badgers. Roadside hedgerows are good foraging for them and they're used to quieter roads just before dawn. Then when the clocks change for British summertime all of a sudden theres an overnight increase of traffic out on the roads an hour earlier than usual, Whacking all the young and unwary badgers, amongst other wildlife.
Its a shame Badger stinks like, well, Badger really, else I'd be recycling them as I do for other roadside delicacies!