PDA

View Full Version : Earthburn

GaryBeaner
28-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately, due to the death of a car we were lacking the funds for the RV. But later we formed a plan B which involved a charcoal 'earthburn', apparently the first in Surrey since 1964 that was being organised by Woking Castle and my local coppice group (Sussex and Surrey).
All the wood used came from a recent moat/nature reserve regeneration and general tidy up! Lit at midday on Fri 22nd it cooked away until about 11.00am Sun.
It was great fun, but bloody knackering. The missus came along for support and to sleep in the van(as did the supposedly loyal dog!).
We ended up getting nearly three of those dumpy sack things builders use full, plus loads of artists charcoal.
Not quite the RV, but it stopped me sulking:ashamed:
(There's loads more pics once I figure out how to put em up!)

Martin
28-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Nice one 'Gary'. A charcoal making session is on the Natural Bushcraft agenda at some point this year. Let's face it, we've been talking about it since last year. :D

Anyway, sorry you and Cat couldn't make it to the RV; I'm sure it will be back on next year so hope you can make it then.

Martin

Fletching
28-04-2011, 09:44 AM
That's a very worthwhile activity! :)

Ben Casey
28-04-2011, 10:13 AM
That looks really cool I would love to do that one day :)

jus_young
28-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Impressed. I have never seen it done this way before. Does the mound collapse in on itself as it 'cooks'? I like the look of the carefully crafted ladder as well, making the most of the natural shape of materials.

GaryBeaner
28-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Couple more, then I'll call that it! (Taken loads of how it's done etc for reference)
Check out the specially made ladder, it's just the way the branch grew (apart from the rungs!).

jus_young
28-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I've got to ask the question, if you don't mind and happen to know, how much would a load like this be worth?

happybonzo
28-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Alan Waters - Earth Burn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_iWjYZ3dY)
"Please listen to us with muddy boots"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_iWjYZ3dY

Ben Casey
28-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Alan Waters - Earth Burn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_iWjYZ3dY)

Hi Phil its a great video I would love to be a part of it :)

Roadkillphil
28-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Looks like a great way to spend the weekend :D Great pics :D
I'd love to have a go at making charcoal, another thing added to my to do list

All the best

Phil

Ben Casey
28-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks like a great way to spend the weekend :D Great pics :D
I'd love to have a go at making charcoal, another thing added to my to do list

All the best

Phil

I have a load on my list to LOL

happybonzo
29-04-2011, 05:55 AM
I am trying to persuade the Woodlands TV people to do a video of Charcoal production using an Oil Drum. It is probably more appropriate for us as small users.
The ring Kilns take a lot of loading; I used to use a firewood processor whereas the oil drums can be "burnt" in as little as 4 to 5 hours.
I have done a few earth burns and unless you are willing to sit over them night and day, then forget it. All the stories about one legged stools are true.
Another thing worth keeping in mind is when the old charcoal producers used to go to a town or a village, they would leave their coats at the entrance to the woods/forest. When they came back from buying what ever they needed they would put it back on again. This was because of the smell given off by the woods as it became charcoal. It helped the Charcoaliers get used to smell by the time they got back to the burn site.
It is truly revolting so if you do plan to have a go, make sure that you use some clothes that you never intend to wear near anyone else again

Ben Casey
29-04-2011, 08:10 AM
That wouldnt really bother me if it is anything like a weekend in the woods I stink to high heaven anyway :) But it does sound like a great experience.

GaryBeaner
29-04-2011, 09:02 AM
We got just short of three dumpy sacks(1.2 metres each) full, the going rate for one is around £75-£85, I think and somewhere around £4.50 for a 'household sized' bag, though they guy from the coppice group said he couldn't actually sell this batch because the quality wasn't good enough, being mixtures of all sorts of wood dragged out of the Castle moat. Still very useable though!

GaryBeaner
29-04-2011, 09:09 AM
As the wood cooks away and moisture's lost the mound gets smaller and hole begin to appear letting in air where you usually don't want it, so you normally use a turf or some mud and straw to make a sort of band aid. Where it differs from a kiln is that the vents in a kiln remain in the same place, though you alter the air flow as and when. On this one the left side was cooked hours before the right, so we adjusted the air flow by creating vents to help it catch up.
I'm only a beginner so feel free to correct me!

Ben Casey
29-04-2011, 09:18 AM
One day I may win the lottery and be able to get my own wood then just sit there doing all these brill things but by then I will probably be to old :(

happybonzo
29-04-2011, 10:21 AM
The smell of the smoke off a Kiln is unbelievable; truly puke inducing

Edwin
29-04-2011, 03:04 PM
As with other people another item for the todos. I find it very handy actually having real people do and record these things rather thansome of the "Gods of the Wild" that appear on youtube. Not of course that I am doubting you divinity of course.

Adam Savage
06-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I've never seen an earth burn before, only in a brick lined pit, also used for making quick lime I believe.

Ashley Cawley
09-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for sharing Gary - brill photos.

I can't wait till I get home so I can watch that "Soul of the Fire" videos, look like it'll be a good'n.

I am trying to persuade the Woodlands TV people to do a video of Charcoal production using an Oil Drum. It is probably more appropriate for us as small users. ...I think you're right bud, just to let you folk know I found a video showing you how to do this yonks ago, I'll dig it out....

@Martin - This is the method I imagined we'll try sometime...

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIuXBFLIXyw
Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aARJXCV_v4

happybonzo
09-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I'd forgotten about these videos. Many thanks AC and also thanks for advice about Flash Player

Edwin
09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Just as the Hobbit encouraged Bushcrafting so to does Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series, see his Pigeon Post for charcoal burners with hut and Picts and Martyrs for how to live clandestinely in a wood and prepare rabbit stew.