PDA

View Full Version : Priceless kit

Metal mug
11-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Do you have any gear that you just couldn't sell or get rid of? I've got an opinel knife that's battered and rusty and grubby but I could never part with it because of all the memories it has. Does anyone else have any kit like that, or am I just going daft and soppy. :)

comanighttrain
11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Shemagh Scarf

Ben up and down hills with me since I was like 14. Been around europe with me too...

basicbushcraft
11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
clipper knife

its always in my pocket or in my rucksack

jbrown14
12-05-2011, 02:32 AM
I have the same external frame backpack that I bought with 13 dollars when I was about 12 years old. It was old when I bought it, so it's probably about as old as I am (35.)
I've repaired both the frame and pack many many times, and still use it on the longer hikes when I need to carry some weight.

I hope I'll hold onto it for a long long time.

bigstan
12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I have an old BCB lock blade knife my mother bought me for my 16th. birthday. I carried that knife every day until about 5 years ago when i got stopped by armed police units. There were 4 of us in the car but i was the only one to get my knife back, on the understanding that i never carry it without good cause again. I have had that knife for 38 years. At the Cornwall RV i got the knife sharpening guru to sharpen it for me it hasnt been this sharp for at least 37.5 years. Definately a keeper. Stan.

JEEP
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
8" Strömeng Leuku :zombie-fighting:

Fletching
12-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Always been a trusty knife of one sort or another, but right now it's an antique puukko I got from Jakob. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. I spent four hours sharpening it three weeks ago and I've cut down trees (a la baton), made feather sticks, carved a new spoon and butchered various small furry creatures and I can still shave with it. :)

JEEP
13-05-2011, 07:19 AM
I am glad you like it :D

Ashley Cawley
13-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Svord Peasant Knife
T^

Roadkillphil
13-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Mead :D

RobbC
13-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Mead But does that really qualify as kit Phil?;)

Robb

Roadkillphil
13-05-2011, 06:46 PM
But does that really qualify as kit Phil?;)

Robb

Ok ok, bottles, for transporting mead :D

In all seriousness, my millbank bag is priceless, had it for 11 years and I'd never swap it for a modern filtration system. Millbank and boil, elegant simplicity :D

ElementOwl
13-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I have a neptune lantern that has been well worth the money and tends to come with me on my nocturnal wanderings. I also use a couple of old storm lanterns that give off a nice gentle light but the neptune has always been great for instant light and is a lot safer to carry about. One of the best aspect of it is a slow strobe effect. I use that when I get on the country roads, it stops the boy racers & executive rally drivers from flattening me or my dogs as they can't quite figure out what it is and slow down.

Metal mug
14-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a neptune lantern that has been well worth the money and tends to come with me on my nocturnal wanderings. One of the best aspect of it is a slow strobe effect. I use that when I get on the country roads, it stops the boy racers & executive rally drivers from flattening me or my dogs as they can't quite figure out what it is and slow down. It's always a good walk when you don't get flattened by a boy racer. :D

Fletching
14-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I am glad you like it :D

...weeell, over the last two days, I must've spent about nine hours in total (still not finished) pimping my GB Small Forest Axe. One side is now like a mirror, with the other side to follow. After that, about twenty coats of boiled linseed oil and turps on the shaft. Pimp my axe, man, Pimp it. :)

Metal mug
14-05-2011, 07:50 PM
...weeell, over the last two days, I must've spent about nine hours in total (still not finished) pimping my GB Small Forest Axe. One side is now like a mirrorI would do that but I don't want to see my face. :D

Fletching
14-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I would do that but I don't want to see my face. :D

Me neither. ;)

Roadkillphil
15-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Svord Peasant Knife
T^

Em and the kids presented me with a peasant knife this morn :D Already sanded, shaped and oiled the handle. This is now my number 1 priceless kit, looking forward to many years of pleasurable use from he :D

ElementOwl
15-05-2011, 08:15 PM
It's always a good walk when you don't get flattened by a boy racer. :D

So very true, if only someone would make a small portable first aid kit capable of repairing damage caused by a speeding motorist, I would happily list it here!

Adam Savage
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Swedish mess kit. Billy and his mate Pan come with me every time. They are always used for something, whether it be boiling water, cooking grub, collecting nettles for a brew or sap from a birch (at least for a couple weeks anyhow). It can hold many configurations of wondrous things, from Trangia fuel and cup (as it was intended), alternative brewing equipment, or just a heap of dehydrated meals.

Fletching
06-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Folding pack grill - always underestimated. I'm sure it's saved a few green boughs as well. :)

Notredame11211
07-06-2011, 01:57 AM
A kuksa,very underestimated how usefull they can be.......especially in the Arctic.

scorpian
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I am in agreement with Crazysaint, have had my swedish trangia for years, take it to every camp, very versatile, and the billy is great for cooking over/on open fires.

Steve

bivouac jack
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
My opinal knife which I had for years.It fell out of my pocket at work and is now quietly rusting in the new muck heap.it will be spread on the land next spring.I spent hours searching the farm yard for it and can tell you I felt the loss.I have since replaced it with a number 8 opinal with a short lanyard to loop it over my belt.Ain't going to loose this one!

Metal mug
13-06-2011, 05:33 PM
My opinal knife which I had for years.It fell out of my pocket at work and is now quietly rusting in the new muck heap.it will be spread on the land next spring.I spent hours searching the farm yard for it and can tell you I felt the loss.I have since replaced it with a number 8 opinal with a short lanyard to loop it over my belt.Ain't going to loose this one!Aw I'm sorry. I lost mine for about an hour a couple of months ago. I'd lent it to someone and they lost it after about 5 minutes. To credit them though they found it again. But if was crestfallen for a while.

kINGPIN
16-06-2011, 07:22 AM
My crusader mug goes with me on all but my lightest trips. Its growing old gracefully.

drewdunnrespect
13-09-2011, 11:32 AM
My crusader mug goes with me on all but my lightest trips. Its growing old gracefully.

i am exactly the same mine has been used for everything its ausome

Bogusmerlin
13-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Leatherman Wave

alvino78
28-10-2011, 09:35 AM
swiss trangia!!! british army bivvi bag and folding knife i've had 18 years never get left behind!!!!:)

paulthefish2009
28-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Tiny little victorinox "sd" knife,alwats in my pocket,use it everyday even if its just to pick my teeth!Paul

survivalgirl
10-11-2011, 01:50 AM
my leatherman wave and my mora knife

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs
10-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Leatherman Wave

My wave is always on my side. Great tools that I use everyday. Never leave home without it, but have to leave it in my Jeep when I go to court. They don't take kindly to my constant companion.

cuppa joe
10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
pile shirt(highlander)...

LandRoverMatt
11-11-2011, 07:36 PM
My billy can, tarp hammock also knife and my highlander bag

Whistle
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Agree Leatherman Wave ... always in the pack/car , great outdoors ... but have an old Victorinox Swiss Army Knife with everything on ( think its a Champ ) that I use as my EDC (non-locking blades) ... use it everyday so guess the SAK gets the vote...

Cheers Whistle

nicklasodh
16-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Well. I doubt I will ever sell my Gränsfors wildlife hatchet and my Fällkniven F1.
Here is a picture of what I usually bring outdoors.

Adam Savage
16-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Well. I doubt I will ever sell my Gränsfors wildlife hatchet and my Fällkniven F1.
Here is a picture of what I usually bring outdoors.

F1s and GBs rock. like the cordage storage on the hatchet handle, nice idea.

Welcome to the forum too mate.

Adam

jus_young
17-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Been thinking long and hard about this one and it wasn't until I posted something on another thread that I realised what my treasured item was.

A fire tripod crafted by my own two kids at the Cornwall RV this year. Immediately became a symbol of good times as this was the first bushcraft outing as a family and it made quite a few long lasting happy memories. The tripod now travels with us on family holidays and gets used! Hate to think how I would feel if it ever got lost.

Adam Savage
17-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Nice one Jus. You can't get more priceless that that :)

wescobts
03-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I am fortunate to have many nice piece of gear, but my most prized is my Victorinox Alox Soldier.

AdrianRose
03-12-2011, 08:06 PM
For me it has to be my Buffalo Special 6 Pertex smock.

I have camped out at -19c with nothing on underneath and I have been super toasty. I have tried all sorts of other jackets/fleeces/smocks but none have even come close to it.

If I could have a second choice, it would be my sleeping bag, an Helsport Alta. If god ever wanted to camp outdoors, this would be his bag of choice.

Ade

ianh
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
i have the same external frame backpack that i bought with 13 dollars when i was about 12 years old. It was old when i bought it, so it's probably about as old as i am (35.)
i've repaired both the frame and pack many many times, and still use it on the longer hikes when i need to carry some weight.

I hope i'll hold onto it for a long long time.

sounds a bit like triggers broom that one

char4chocs
26-02-2012, 05:53 PM
my opinel no.8 :),had it since i was young in the beavers

Elektricgypsy
14-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I normally regard it as a sign of ability to adapt to one's environment to be able to use whatever is to hand. However; my 3/4 pint (imperial) primus paraffin pressure stove, which I have had ever since I can remember, and my grandparents used before me in the 1930's. Which I can cook "proper" food with; mountains, deserts, swamps, minus anything or plus anything, urban skyscrapers, airports, railway stations - even railway trains - anywhere. That I would miss, even if new things can match it (but not supersede it).
I also have a hand forged, hand axe. This is similar to some I have made for others, but not kept one for me. I like that I did not make it; I would sorely miss that too.

Juanodaxis
14-03-2012, 07:25 PM
My Aitor Gran Police. Is been with me since 1990, and never ever failed once as a multi tool knife.

Elektricgypsy
14-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Aitor Gran Police? Please expand.... :please: :confused:

Juanodaxis
14-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes, sorry, I'm not thinking. Aitor is a Spanish manufacture, so is quite big in Spain. Here is a link to it. http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/aitor-knives/granpolice-aitor.asp?product=navaja-gran-police
I was on my national service, back in 1990, when I was 18 years old, and I needed something like that for many reasons. Awesome quality.

Elektricgypsy
14-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Ah, now I'am enlightened!

Looks like a tool with many awesome malfunctions and easily set aside!

Just joking - can see how that would become a treasured tool. A Spanish, Swiss army knife really!

Juanodaxis
14-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Yep, a Spanish Swiss knife. I had it for 22 years now.