PDA

View Full Version : Summer Meet at Ivan's Place on Dartmoor 2nd and 3rd July 2011

Martin
20-05-2011, 09:31 PM
So, you may have read the ongoing saga that is the Ten Tors challenge thread? Well, I can fully understand that walking 45+ miles in under 36 hours just isn't everyone's cup of tea. So, during that weekend there will be a meet at Ivan's place on the edge of Dartmoor. The walkers will set off at 0700 on Saturday morning, leaving the site to anyone else who fancies a chilled relaxing weekend in a beautiful part of Dartmoor with direct access onto the open moor.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you about Ivan's near legendary property but if you need to know anything else please just ask. If you would like to come along, please add your name to this thread.

Martin

Ben Casey
20-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm already down but I hope we get a good turn out as you guys are cool :D

swkieran
20-05-2011, 10:26 PM
i need to get a car sorted out,as my landy is still in bits,i can come out on these meets then :)

Bernie
21-05-2011, 07:24 AM
You know, I think I might be allowed out that weekend as well! I'm starting to think she wants to get rid of me! :D

Big T
24-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Will try and make this, sounds like fun! Wots the score with dogs?

Ivan
24-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi Big T , i dont have a problem with well behaved dogs , only my land opens directly onto the open moor , and for instance at this time of year with , lambing , calving , foaling in full swing , the farmers are fully intitled to shoot on sight any dog seen to be worrying livestock , i know it sounds a bit dramatic but , it has happened very recently , so as long as you are aware of the situation and you are wholly responsible for your dog , no problem buddy..

Big T
24-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Ok mate, hes a 18 month old border collie so if we do come and bring him we will keep him on a long lead/stake!:)

Big T
25-05-2011, 08:13 AM
On the subject of shooting, do you have any land there for some air rifle shooting/hunting?

Ivan
25-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi Big T , i shoot and with friends, mainly air rifle, but not usually at the site , i am lucky enough to have 200 acres at my disposal , about a 20 minute drive from my place . A bushcraft/shoot meet is something i am considering, its working out transport costings etc, as for just one or two would not be worth it and for larger numbers we would scare everythng away ! but if and when you come i am quite happy to show you around , bring your rifle just in case !

Big T
25-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok mate, sounds like a plan:)

Metal mug
25-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi Big T , i dont have a problem with well behaved dogs What about the hound of the baskervilles? Am I allowed to bring him? :confused: :)

Martin
25-05-2011, 06:06 PM
What about the hound of the baskervilles? Am I allowed to bring him? :confused: :)

Not if you're walking with us you can't.

Martin

Metal mug
26-05-2011, 09:02 AM
He is house trained Martin.

paul standley
26-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Martin, Ivan...

At last, a date I can make...!

Put me down for this weekend - as a passive ground dweller, not as a walker...!

I'll really look fwd to meeting some the characters on this forum ... I'm sure life will never be the same again afterwards :-)

Ivan, please can you PM me some directions and a grid ref: - many thanks.

jonajuna
03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
how have i only just seen this thread? been very aware of the challenge etc and had been planning to come and basecamp. the dates have only just registered and i don't think i can make it being the weekend after a week long passout only the week previous :(

Adam Savage
03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
how have i only just seen this thread? been very aware of the challenge etc and had been planning to come and basecamp. the dates have only just registered and i don't think i can make it being the weekend after a week long passout only the week previous :(

I'm with you here. Martin snuck it in under the carefully places trip wires and snares (the mouse has still to fall foul to my snare), but it will be good to see some new faces. I'm really thinking of cutting down on the ciggs for this too lol.

Ben Casey
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Guys Im still on dial up here till the morning but I will catch up on all the posts in the morning when I have BB Adam has my number incase anything has changed I may need to know quick LOL
I meet a guy at the weekend at the lLakes he may be coming Ash is just getting him back on the forum as he lost his password so we me have one more base camp dweller if that is OK :D

Ivan
06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi everyone , as you know the main point of this meet is , for a serious walk for a select few , so we have to put a cap on numbers , don't want to be a spoilsport , but Martin and his team need a good nights sleep , early to bed, early to rise and its great to have base camp support , but it can't be perhaps as noisy as usual, so if somebody with a bit of technical savvy can start a confirmation list of base camp dwellers that would be brill..

Its not me being a miserable sod, anyway once they have set off we can do what we like ! Its just the evening before , we just have to be a bit considerate , i am sure you understand .

Thankyou
Ivan...

Roadkillphil
06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I had ideas of coming on this weekend, but I've been offered work that I cannot turn down, so unfortunately another weekend at Ivans has been once again scuppered! :(

Adam Savage
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
List of confirmed so far (not including Ivan of course)...

1) Ben Casey
2) Bernie
3) Paul Standley

To be confirmed...

4) Big T
5) Naturalmagik aka Tess

Forgive me if these names are incorrect.

jonajuna
06-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone , as you know the main point of this meet is , for a serious walk for a select few , so we have to put a cap on numbers , don't want to be a spoilsport , but Martin and his team need a good nights sleep , early to bed, early to rise and its great to have base camp support , but it can't be perhaps as noisy as usual, so if somebody with a bit of technical savvy can start a confirmation list of base camp dwellers that would be brill..

Its not me being a miserable sod, anyway once they have set off we can do what we like ! Its just the evening before , we just have to be a bit considerate , i am sure you understand .

Thankyou
Ivan...

sounds like a challenge to me!!!

but then again, i have always been the first to bed, so wont be any noise on my part!

dont put my name down yet, but i am working on permissions, subject to having recovered from Glastonbury of course ;)

and ive always found you to be a miserable sod, purposefully importing mossies to my fav pitch, abandoning walks cause of a little bit of damp, murdering sheep and bunging them in holes full of hot rocks........ ;)

jus_young
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM

1) Ben Casey
2) Bernie
3) Paul Standley

To be confirmed...

4) Big T
5) Naturalmagik aka Tess

Edit your list again Adam, count me in.

Is there an option of coming down on the Friday night Ivan? Don't want to push me luck or seem cheeky, just kind of makes it a little more worthwhile with a two night stop out. I will bring the still organic cider as mentioned in a previous thread but must be consumed responsibly and considerately bearing in mind the poor souls setting themselves up for one hell of a hike. Completely with you on this one Ivan, they are going to need the rest.

Thanks

Justin.

Ivan
07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi Justin, of course you can arrive on the Friday, give me a shout if you need directions / tel. nos. etc.

PS are you bringing the meerkat ?

jus_young
07-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Justin, of course you can arrive on the Friday, give me a shout if you need directions / tel. nos. etc.

PS are you bringing the meerkat ?

No meerkats this time, they have a few behavioural issues. Will give you a shout a bit closer to the time and get the necessary info, thanks Ivan.

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 12:21 PM

1) Ben Casey
2) Bernie
3) Paul Standley
4) jus_young (justin)
5) lruggier (Lucy)
6) Ichneumon (Paul)

To be confirmed...

7) Big T
8) Naturalmagik aka Tess
9) Raven (Paul)

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Edit your list again Adam, count me in.

Thanks

Justin.

Done mate. I think most are getting there Friday anyway bud.

Ivan
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Just a quick note , most of you know there is a 1.2 km walk from vehicle parking to the site , and i have most heavy items there , so be aware that you will have to carry what you bring . Adam and myself will be on hand to sherpa and guide , also mobile phone reception is a little sketchy on most networks, i will leave a set of directions/instructions at the car parking area to follow , if no one is there to greet you , now the horrible bit , apart from those taking part in the walk , i am going to charge £5.00 per head , regardless of how long you stay , so 1 night a fiver or 4 nights a fiver , thats the kind of cold hearted businessman i am ... no it just goes towards the upkeep of the site etc thanks.

Ivan...

Ben Casey
07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

1) Ben Casey
2) Bernie
3) Paul Standley
4) jus_young (justin)
5) lruggier (Lucy)
6) Ichneumon (Paul)

To be confirmed...

7) Big T
8) Naturalmagik aka Tess
9) Raven (Paul)

Hi Mate I think Tess is confirmed I should be bringing her in my old banger LOL

Ben Casey
07-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Just a quick note , most of you know there is a 1.2 km walk from vehicle parking to the site , and i have most heavy items there , so be aware that you will have to carry what you bring . Adam and myself will be on hand to sherpa and guide , also mobile phone reception is a little sketchy on most networks, i will leave a set of directions/instructions at the car parking area to follow , if no one is there to greet you , now the horrible bit , apart from those taking part in the walk , i am going to charge £5.00 per head , regardless of how long you stay , so 1 night a fiver or 4 nights a fiver , thats the kind of cold hearted businessman i am ... no it just goes towards the upkeep of the site etc thanks.

Ivan...

1.2 Km walk that will take me at least 4 days LOL

jus_young
07-06-2011, 01:30 PM
1.2 Km walk that will take me at least 4 days LOL

I wouldn't worry about the 4 days, its still only a fiver! Ivan - you set yourself too cheap, not that I'm really complaining of course.

Ben Casey
07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about the 4 days, its still only a fiver! Ivan - you set yourself too cheap, not that I'm really complaining of course.

Oh I thought Ivan was gonna give me a fiver for walking that far LOL

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Mate I think Tess is confirmed I should be bringing her in my old banger LOL

1) Ben Casey
2) Bernie
3) Paul Standley
4) jus_young (justin)
5) lruggier (Lucy)
6) Ichneumon (Paul)
7) Naturalmagik (Tess)

To be confirmed...

8) Big T
9) Raven (Paul)

Ok buddy

lruggier
07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I am looking forward to meeting you all - as I pointed out to Ivan, part of my reason for this first visit will be to get some advice from more knowledgeable others on the right kit for my forest school leader job and my personal interest in bushcraft - (been a long time since I used to regularly hang out in the woods) I'm aware that there have been advances so not going to buy anything until taking your advice - so you will all have the pleasure of falling about laughing at whatever I cobble together for camping kit etc. on this meet. I might have to sneak in after dark to avoid total humiliation!
Lucy

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I am looking forward to meeting you all - as I pointed out to Ivan, part of my reason for this first visit will be to get some advice from more knowledgeable others on the right kit for my forest school leader job and my personal interest in bushcraft - (been a long time since I used to regularly hang out in the woods) I'm aware that there have been advances so not going to buy anything until taking your advice - so you will all have the pleasure of falling about laughing at whatever I cobble together for camping kit etc. on this meet. I might have to sneak in after dark to avoid total humiliation!
Lucy

No matter what you turn up with, no one will laugh. They've seen it all, and probably used the same stuff at some point anyway, or they still do lol

paul standley
07-06-2011, 08:24 PM
kit is a matter of personal choice, All kit is good kit, as Adam says, we've all gone through it and have settled on what works for us, not what is fashionable...!

Ivan
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Having the site i have , and having met about 150 or so bushcrafters/wildcampers , i have seen from the sublime to the ridiculous, as far as kit is concerned . But one thing i have noticed , however experienced, kitted out you are, you never stop learning amazing things, tips , short cuts , thriftyness, and all round advice and help, i have not yet met one soul who has scoffed or laughed at anothers kit regardless of budget or knowledge . I wish i had got off my bum and got into this world years ago !!

So Lucy , dont you worry about a thing , between us all you will be made to feel very welcome, even if you turn up in bikini and wellies ! with a blanket under your arm ..

Ps its ok lads i have met her and shes great ...

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
So Lucy , dont you worry about a thing , between us all you will be made to feel very welcome, even if you turn up in bikini and wellies ! with a blanket under your arm ..

In fact, it's positively encouraged to turn up in bikini and wellies...;)

lruggier
07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Well don't let me stop you...

Ben Casey
07-06-2011, 08:50 PM
In fact, it's positively encouraged to turn up in bikini and wellies...;)

I agree can I wear my pink one when I come :D

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I can't decide which to wear, black and gold, or the yellow one with the pink piping...it's too hard to make a decision....:shocked::rolleyes::confused2:

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I agree can I wear my pink one when I come :D

Ok you wear the pink one, I'll go for the black and gold...don't let me down on this one...

Ben Casey
07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Ok you wear the pink one, I'll go for the black and gold...don't let me down on this one...

Would I mate I'm just gonna order mine from Wicked Weasels LOL

jonajuna
07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Having the site i have , and having met about 150 or so bushcrafters/wildcampers , i have seen from the sublime to the ridiculous, as far as kit is concerned . But one thing i have noticed , however experienced, kitted out you are, you never stop learning amazing things, tips , short cuts , thriftyness, and all round advice and help, i have not yet met one soul who has scoffed or laughed at anothers kit regardless of budget or knowledge . I wish i had got off my bum and got into this world years ago !!

that's not completely true Ivan, i really ripped into you for having real divan mattresses in your tent!!!!! lol

seeing as i will only just be back from glastonbury the weekend before.... it will be like a flashback of being back there, bikinis and wellies are standard evening wear there ;P

agree with others, the right kit is the kit that works for you, i like gadgets and all that, but i havent met anyone that scoffed at my 17yo rucksack, elcheapo mora or the fact i really cant be bothered with spooncarving and am quite content with my £3 spork.

i think if any kit snobs turned up, they would be the ones feeling awkward as everyone else i've met up at Ivans is welcoming of everyone and anyone regardless of bushy knowledge, skills or kit...... and everyone is also very happy to share

like learning to drive, we all have to start from the same point, regardless of where we might be today

Adam Savage
08-06-2011, 05:55 AM
like learning to drive, we all have to start from the same point, regardless of where we might be today

Wait a minute, we had to learn before we could drive? Woops....;)

Ivan
08-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Jon , as i pointed out to you they were not divan mattresses, they were in fact the very latest ,thermarest 1000 pocket sprung self inflating , lightweight, NASA approved sleeping aids, and when fully deflated, quite comfortably fit in the back of a Toyota Hilux.
And by way of an apology , i will require photographic evidence of all women between the ages of 20 and 50 wearing Glastonbury evening attire , and dont get caught this year !!

Ben Casey
08-06-2011, 07:44 AM
i will require photographic evidence of all women between the ages of 20 and 50 wearing Glastonbury evening attire , and dont get caught this year !!

I second that mate :D

jonajuna
08-06-2011, 06:35 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00219/F_200506_june25ed_i_219674a.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jun2009/5/3/image-7-for-glastonbury-festival-friday-gallery-908740552.jpg

for the doubting Thomas' out there :P

though i prefer pink fluffy bra tops, miniskirts, wellies and over the knee socks

but i'm just a perv :P

Ivan
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Sincere apologies sir , how dare i have doubted your professional approach and integrity, i could eat that last one !! well at least now the girls know the official Dartmoor uniform...

lruggier
08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
'Official' and 'uniform' aren't words I understand, as a life-long non-conformist!

Adam Savage
08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Womanisers, the lot of you :p

lruggier
08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I assume you aren't suggesting I am!

Ben Casey
08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Where is that then Im of to do some ermmmmmm craft there LOL

Adam Savage
08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
I assume you aren't suggesting I am!

Absolutely not, fair maiden. just the brutish lads.

lruggier
08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Thank you kind sir

Skate
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I too am attending Glasto this year and following this thread have decided that an in depth study of female evening attire should be carried out by me as well :) Ivan's meets look to have been great fun and I may tag along to one although usually enjoy my own company.
Jonajuna, if you see a fat bald bloke lying in the mud thinking he is on another planet, that will be me.

jonajuna
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Where is that then Im of to do some ermmmmmm craft there LOL

pretty much any of the "proper" summer festies ;)

I too am attending Glasto this year and following this thread have decided that an in depth study of female evening attire should be carried out by me as well :) Ivan's meets look to have been great fun and I may tag along to one although usually enjoy my own company.
Jonajuna, if you see a fat bald bloke lying in the mud thinking he is on another planet, that will be me.

fancy a bushcraft meet then? i suggest the ciderbus for a whittle and a pint (ok, just the pint :P )

Skate
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Not sure I will be organised enough to have an arranged meet. I kind of lose all concept of time while at these sort of shindigs ;)

Ben Casey
09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
When is Glasto LOL

Skate
09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
22nd to 27th

Ben Casey
10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Hm I can feel a plan coming on LOL

jonajuna
10-06-2011, 06:05 PM
20th for me, i crew there.... its lovely til all the VIPs come in (very Intoxicated Punters) :P

i can understand the inability to get to meet, i make arrnagements with people evry year to meet at xxx time... rarely works out.... most of my glastobuds come and find me in a ditch somewhere, they know my haunts now ;)

intrigued by your plan Ben :)

Ben Casey
10-06-2011, 06:20 PM
My plan just went out the window I had a look on the website and they are sold out :( Mind you I could cam up and sneak under a fence somewhere LOL

Martin
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
My plan just went out the window I had a look on the website and they are sold out :( Mind you I could cam up and sneak under a fence somewhere LOL

Really? Glastonbury sold out in June?? Who'd have thought it?? ;)

Sorry Ben, couldn't resist it mate. :p

Martin

Ben Casey
10-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Really? Glastonbury sold out in June?? Who'd have thought it?? ;)

Sorry Ben, couldn't resist it mate. :p

Martin

Cheers Martin LOL

jonajuna
11-06-2011, 11:00 AM
lol, they sold out on the day they were released in october last year, and again on the resales in april and may (due to cancellations)

you have to be a very early bird to buy tickets nowadays, need to register and submit photo advance and then get your buying plan together for ticket day.

or just know me, i seem to have a nack of buying tickets, only needed the one for my son (as wife and I are crew, daughter is free) but bought for friends and friends of friends too....... got 18 in total and still had other booking pages open! lol

and there is no way you can get through the fence now, there is a 1 mile exclusion zone into which you need a pass or ticket to enter, then there are I beams pile driven into the ground (to stop people ramming vehicles throught he fence.. yes its happened) then a track way boted to the bottom of the fence, the fence its self is purpose built, 30 foot high, goes underground for a couple of metres, has anothe trackway botled inside, then another fence inside of the main, the "moat" in between is patrolled by security in landrovers and horseback, there are watch towers and cctv....... the fence is secure several weeks prior to the festie, the site is searched (including drug dogs for any stashes), finally, there is helicopter based cctv too.......

its more secure than most of our prisons :P the only way you get in nowadays without a ticket is like this...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6i4YEy81o

Metal mug
11-06-2011, 04:42 PM
and there is no way you can get through the fence now, there is a 1 mile exclusion zone into which you need a pass or ticket to enter, then there are I beams pile driven into the ground (to stop people ramming vehicles throught he fence.. yes its happened) then a track way boted to the bottom of the fence, the fence its self is purpose built, 30 foot high, goes underground for a couple of metres, has anothe trackway botled inside, then another fence inside of the main, the "moat" in between is patrolled by security in landrovers and horseback, there are watch towers and cctv....... the fence is secure several weeks prior to the festie, the site is searched (including drug dogs for any stashes), finally, there is helicopter based cctv too.......

The hippies that started glasto back in '69 must be proud. :ashamed:

jonajuna
11-06-2011, 06:13 PM
only Andrew Kerr left now, Bella Churchill died a couple of years back :( and Michael has never been a hippy :P

the fence had to go up, in 2000 the fence came down completely...... 0ver 300000 people were on site when it was only geared up for about 130000..... i was there with my bro in law, no wife or kids and we were still scared, you could stand in front of the pyramind, looking up the hill into camping and watch people run through ransacking tents.... it had become lawless and without the self rule of hippy anarchy that existed prior to the 1990s

since the fence, its become a happy chilled party place again

so, i dont blame the festival or the organisers (even in light of the screams of commercialism from the crusty traveller community) i blame the chavs, neds and crims that made the place horrible and dangerous

Naturalmagik
12-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Adam
I will be coming:) Tess

Naturalmagik
12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Im bringing Maia and she will be kept on a lead, ( i have a stake and long lead too) i need to make sure any other dogs will be too as shes fed raw bones, wouldnt be good if someone came near them. Shes mostly fine with others, but others tend to not like her. So i am responsible for her and have strict rules but need to check that i have the same back? I cant deal with dogs off leads keep coming up and winding her up as i am on a chemo treatment and im coming to meet people and do some natural healing, which im in great need of, happy to offer some to anyone else whos in need too. So i think i had better check the situation rather than turn up and be in a situation thats too much for me. Thanks:) Tess

lruggier
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
The naughty side of me said "take along a wind-up toy dog"..... but then the good side of me told myself off very severely....

Hope you have a robust sense of humour Tess or I am off to a very bad start on our friendship with that comment! Really looking forward to meeting you, lots to learn from you I am sure, as you've obviously had a wide range of very interesting learning opportunities around the globe. I've always liked to keep a very open mind on the spiritual beliefs of other cultures, and the healing powers inherent in those beliefs, so eager to hear your views.

I hope you find the meet a rewarding and refreshing experience.

Lucy

Martin
13-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Posts deleted!!! Please respect the environment in which you are a guest. You wouldn't carry on in such a manner in someone's house so please don't do it here.

Thank you

Martin

Ben Casey
13-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi Ivan if it is ok with you I may be a bit earlier than planned I have just seen I should be in Blandford this weekend and if it is ok with you I would love to come over to your place after if it was ok I'm just going to juggle some appointments here :) I will give you a ring in a bit for a natter and get the all clear :D

Adam Savage
13-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi Adam
I will be coming:) Tess

Excellent. I very much look forward to meeting you there Tess.

Martin
13-06-2011, 03:09 PM
As far I as I can fathom, this meeting is now cancelled. Therefore, I have closed the thread.

Martin