PDA

View Full Version : Solo on the West Pennine moors

MikeWilkinson
21-05-2011, 03:27 PM
After gettting no takers on a last minute meet up on the moors, I decided I'd head out on my lonesome for some quality me time.

Thought I'd share some of the photos.

The walk in, considering it had been raining all day, the evening was wonderful

Home Sweet Home for the evening at least

The camp kitchen and brew on.

The camp at dusk.

I needed somewhere to sit, so sacrificed some of my firewood for this.

MikeWilkinson
21-05-2011, 03:44 PM
After getting set up, I went out and did a little foraging for my supper.
Needed a nice Salad to go with my Beefy Rice.

Found a nice patch of Common Sorrell, Wood Sorrell and Dandelions, topped it up with some Jack by the Hedge and a few nice young Beech Leaves. Yummmm!
1444 1445
Some of natures best!!

Beef Stock and rice, bubbling away for a nice broth

Hurry up I'm Starving.

All In all had a really great night, particularly the part when a tawny decided to have a conversation right above the tarp at 3.00 in the morning.

Silverback
21-05-2011, 03:53 PM
looks great, maybe next time I'll take a drive to Bolton and join you...if thats ok

Ben Casey
21-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Looks like a good time :)

ElementOwl
21-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Looks like a great evening. I was up in Bolton yesterday looking with great affection at the moors between Bolton, Belmont & Darwen. They were my escape as a teenager and I keep promising myself I will wander them again.

Thanks for posting this one Mike, brought back fond memories.

Lukeyp23
21-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Gutted I didn't make it out Mike, will definately sort something out soon though...famous last words!

Roadkillphil
21-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Nice chair Mike! T^

swkieran
21-05-2011, 10:16 PM
nice pics mike:)

basicbushcraft
22-05-2011, 11:36 AM
look like you add a great night mike when you up there agen pal

tinkers
22-05-2011, 01:47 PM
great pics mike, glad the weather cleared up and you had a fine evening.

MikeWilkinson
23-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Phil, the chair worked out great, was comfortable and only took a few minutes to construct. I put it under the tarp when I went to bed and used it as a kit rack.

paul standley
23-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice one Mike...

There is something to be said for some solo time, taking time to kick back and reflect is good for the soul...and looks like you got well sorted for a one-nighter.

Tried tender new beech leaves for first time recently and they were great, I got a real 'green apple peel' kick after a few seconds.

also tried sorrel for first time on the same walk and that was amazing, never tasted anything quite like that, it's my favorite to date.

Did hawthorn leaves which were OK and lime tree tender leaves were were ok and did some dandies as well but think I could live without them...!

MikeWilkinson
24-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Cheers Paul,

Have to agree with you, cannot beat the Sorrels and Beech leaves. A good one for Beech leaves, is to leave them in Gin with some extra sugar for a few months, for a real nice liqueur - use exactly the same recipe as sloe gin but just use beech leaves instead of sloes.

My little 'uns love hunting for wood sorrel, it is there favourite too. Just remember not to eat too much as it contains free oxacylic acid, which if you had a large portion everyday would leave you feeling a little unwell.

LandRoverMatt
18-08-2011, 10:49 AM
good pictures