PDA

View Full Version : Mini firepits.

Big T
23-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I had a few 4.5KG gas bottles kicking around and couldnt think of a use for them so I made some mini firepits, they burn really micely and only require small pieces of wood and twigs to fuel them!:)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1474&d=1306149182

After I made these I thought of making a small smoker, for smoking fish and meat, watch this space!:)

Ben Casey
23-05-2011, 11:23 AM
That is really good I will have to use the idea in my new back garden when I get moved :)

Big T
23-05-2011, 11:27 AM
:) They are only small, I have made bigger ones but for their size these do work really well!

RobbC
23-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow they are really good, great idea!

Robb

Big T
23-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks, kinda a hobby thats got outta hand, my kitchen is full of chimineas and firepits at the mo! lol!

Might have a go at making some with removeable legs that store inside it when not being used:)

Ashley Cawley
23-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Brilliant stuff, they look really good, nice & sturdy. What have you covered them in?... 1,200c Stove paint?

Big T
23-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, matt black stove paint:)

paul standley
23-05-2011, 07:33 PM
great stuff big T, look very professional, like the black matt finish.

Adam Savage
23-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh no, now I have another project I want to start :p

Top work.T^

J_P
23-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Nice one, ive been meaning to make a couple of these for a while, ive got the cylinders ....

Big T
24-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the nice comments!:) They are easy enough to make, the base is made out of the bottom ring of a 15kg bottle which has a larger diameter so that the whole thing is more stable on the ground. Of course be carefull to make sure the cylinder is completely empty before you cut it, I open the valve for a few days then hacksaw off the brass valve, being brass then there is no risk of sparks! Then fill up with water and leave for few days, empty and away you go! The best way that I have found to cut the bottle is with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade, it gives a more controlled and cleaner cut than an angle grinder, thats unless you have access to a plasma cutter! The lifting rings on mine are a mixture of old trailer tie down points and eye bolts. Hope this helps!

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the nice comments!:) They are easy enough to make, the base is made out of the bottom ring of a 15kg bottle which has a larger diameter so that the whole thing is more stable on the ground. Of course be carefull to make sure the cylinder is completely empty before you cut it, I open the valve for a few days then hacksaw off the brass valve, being brass then there is no risk of sparks! Then fill up with water and leave for few days, empty and away you go! The best way that I have found to cut the bottle is with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade, it gives a more controlled and cleaner cut than an angle grinder, thats unless you have access to a plasma cutter! The lifting rings on mine are a mixture of old trailer tie down points and eye bolts. Hope this helps!

I wondered what the rings were, on the left one. And wouldn't have thought of using a base from a larger cylinder. have read other articles about making wood burning stoves with gas bottles, but they involve a fair amount of welding, for the door and flue. I'm not that great with a mig and have sold my arc welder, so these look a more suitable option for me. ;)

Thanks again for sharing T

Big T
24-05-2011, 09:04 AM
No worries! There is a fair amount of welding on a Wood burning stove or a chiminea. The only welding required on these are for the legs and thats well within a migs capabilities. I tend to use arc as the steel is thick enough on most gas bottles and its cheaper! Im now working on a firepit where the legs unscrew and are stowed inside to save space.:)

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 09:15 AM
No worries! There is a fair amount of welding on a Wood burning stove or a chiminea. The only welding required on these are for the legs and thats well within a migs capabilities. I tend to use arc as the steel is thick enough on most gas bottles and its cheaper! Im now working on a firepit where the legs unscrew and are stowed inside to save space.:)

Will be eager to see the results. I'm sure a person of your talents will knock one out in no time at all with little difficulty.

Big T
24-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks:) They really aint that difficult to do though, if you can work a jigsaw and pull the trigger on a mig then your there! I have always been messing around making stuff like this, comes from having a welder for a father! Top tip..................when you cut the bottle in half dont try and cut it where it has been welded, you want to cut approx 20mm up from the bottom of the weld as there is a stiffener inside the bottle and it will take you ages to cut through it!

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks:) They really aint that difficult to do though, if you can work a jigsaw and pull the trigger on a mig then your there! I have always been messing around making stuff like this, comes from having a welder for a father! Top tip..................when you cut the bottle in half dont try and cut it where it has been welded, you want to cut approx 20mm up from the bottom of the weld as there is a stiffener inside the bottle and it will take you ages to cut through it!

Thanks for that. I would have been there for a couple hours trying, or grabbed the 9 inch grinder in frustration. I know welds are normally harder than the steel anyway, but with a stiffener as well, that's just hard work lol.

Big T
24-05-2011, 11:43 AM
No worries, I found out the hard way!