PDA

View Full Version : Workshops/Sheds!

Big T
24-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Hiya people!

Just a bit of fun really, just wondering where you all make your stuff? Sheds? Workshop? Kitchen table!? To start the ball rolling heres a pic of my (messy) workshop!

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1486&d=1306232159

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Will try and take a photo of my little den of desire, where all the magic takes place...I say magic, I mean mayhem and bodging...

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe this thread should have been named "Bushcraft's messiest, workshop/shed"

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/24052011712.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/24052011713.jpg

ElementOwl
24-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Seeing the workshop images has reminded me I will need to build myself a new shed/workshop/studio space. We moved house last year and I had to leave my old one behind. I built it out of a timber frame and straw bales. My better half called it the man kennel (I hope the image link works, this is the first time I have tried it - if it does, many thanks to Roadkillphil for posting the instructions, if it doesn't I have read the instructions wrong!).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4750371776_f987a2fff9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/elementowl/4750371776/)
garden building (http://www.flickr.com/photos/elementowl/4750371776/) by SherwoodOwl (http://www.flickr.com/people/elementowl/), on Flickr

fish
24-05-2011, 07:13 PM
As those of you that know me know,ive been planning a new shed in the garden to be my workshop for all my stuff i make,all winter i have been working in the kitchen ,which to say the least made me mr popular!
so heres a few pics of the start of the construction,it will be 16foot long by 8foot wide and 6.5 feet tall:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/allotments/DSC01760.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/allotments/DSC01761.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/allotments/DSC01762.jpg

with a bit of luck it will be compleated in 2 weeks then i can get working better without having to pack everything away every night!

bigzee
24-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh and I thought it was just me who created order (well...stoves) from chaos. Crazysaint seems to have sneaked round and take pics. of my garage I think. These places may look untidy, and they are, but I'll bet we can all put our hands straight on any tool when we need it!!

Does anyone else suffer from the problem of a wife who periodically "tidies-up"/rearranges the house to "create more space", and then you discover a load of exta items dumped in the garage?

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh and I thought it was just me who created order (well...stoves) from chaos. Crazysaint seems to have sneaked round and take pics. of my garage I think. These places may look untidy, and they are, but I'll bet we can all put our hands straight on any tool when we need it!!

Does anyone else suffer from the problem of a wife who periodically "tidies-up"/rearranges the house to "create more space", and then you discover a load of exta items dumped in the garage?

I have the problem of a mother, that feels it necessary to enter my workshop, and my shed, to "tidy" them. Takes me a while to find some things after this, uncalled for, visit.

mrrivers
24-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I have the problem of a mother, that feels it necessary to enter my workshop, and my shed, to "tidy" them. Takes me a while to find some things after this, uncalled for, visit.

i have a other half a bit like that, she is legendary for 'putting things away in a safe place' never to be seen again. i think she has a portal, or, i've just thought with horror, an ebay account!

ElementOwl
24-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I think I have it quite lucky, other half is terrified of spiders so I was always asked politely to find a place for something in the shed, garage or workshop. She just wouldn't go in, so I became a sort of shed archivist with my own unique filing system, wherever it would fit without falling over, there it stayed until I was sent to fetch it back!

Adam Savage
24-05-2011, 10:17 PM
i have a other half a bit like that, she is legendary for 'putting things away in a safe place' never to be seen again. i think she has a portal, or, i've just thought with horror, an ebay account!

Oh no, not the fleabay thing. I wonder if that's where my keyhole saw went??????

Big T
25-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Glad to see in not the only one working in "organised chaos"! Why is it that sheds are never big enough..........I have 3 and they are all a mess!

paul standley
26-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Well... I thought my space was messy...!

My workshop is my garage which is now just a workshop come potting shed since my interest in permaculture come backyard food producing and my wife also hates spiders so never goes in there...!

No pictures though, wouldn't want you thinking I was anally tidy or anything :-)

Paul.

paul standley
26-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Seeing the workshop images has reminded me I will need to build myself a new shed/workshop/studio space. We moved house last year and I had to leave my old one behind. I built it out of a timber frame and straw bales. My better half called it the man kennel (I hope the image link works, this is the first time I have tried it - if it does, many thanks to Roadkillphil for posting the instructions, if it doesn't I have read the instructions wrong!).

Now that is seriously smart...

bigzee
26-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Hands up anyone who actually puts a car in their garage. Modern cars are pretty weatherproof, so why do developers design the "additional building" for a car instead of specifically for one of their likely uses? (ie: tinkering,storage,and white goods)

ElementOwl
26-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks Paul, it didn't take me long to fill it with stuff though!

tinkers
27-05-2011, 06:53 AM
nice workshops guys, Big T & crazysaint222 now thats my kinda workspace, organised chaos but at least you know where things are, and if you cant find something you can bet your life that the missus must have been in there tidying up lol!

please excuse the tidyness of my workspace in the one pic, its just that i had just finished my latest project of a clickstand like housing for my tatonka stove, and the wife assured me it was in my best interest to have a really good clean up. the other two pics are my sorta storeroom, and seeing as theres a door on it i dont tidy this up too much, as it looks quite tidy when you just close the door:wink:

tinkers

Adam Savage
31-05-2011, 01:36 PM
nice workshops guys, Big T & crazysaint222 now thats my kinda workspace, organised chaos but at least you know where things are, and if you cant find something you can bet your life that the missus must have been in there tidying up lol!

please excuse the tidyness of my workspace in the one pic, its just that i had just finished my latest project of a clickstand like housing for my tatonka stove, and the wife assured me it was in my best interest to have a really good clean up. the other two pics are my sorta storeroom, and seeing as theres a door on it i dont tidy this up too much, as it looks quite tidy when you just close the door:wink:

tinkers

Ooow, treasures and tools. My garage has now reached the point where things must be thrown, recycled, donated, sold, etc... to make room for new things...and me for that matter.

fish
31-05-2011, 05:32 PM
got the roof on mine today!

Adam Savage
31-05-2011, 05:47 PM
got the roof on mine today!

Excellent, when do you move in ;)

Metal mug
01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Maybe this thread should have been named "Bushcraft's messiest, workshop/shed"

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/24052011712.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/24052011713.jpg You could do a spot the difference competition.

Adam Savage
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
You could do a spot the difference competition.

I'll fire up photoshop, haha

ElementOwl
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
To the domestic dweller it might look a bit of a mess, but I think I can see a familiar system to the workshop filing.

A narrow corridor just wide enough to get down
Heavy stuff on the floor
Sturdy bench mounted power tools carefully surrounded with stuff
Light stuff balanced higher just within reach
Cool box with a remaining beer from last trip hidden within easy reach just in case of emergencies.

Adam Savage
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
To the domestic dweller it might look a bit of a mess, but I think I can see a familiar system to the workshop filing.

A narrow corridor just wide enough to get down
Heavy stuff on the floor
Sturdy bench mounted power tools carefully surrounded with stuff
Light stuff balanced higher just within reach
Cool box with a remaining beer from last trip hidden within easy reach just in case of emergencies.

LOL, I don't consume alcohol when I'm using power tools. I'm clumsy enough as it is haha

jbrown14
06-06-2011, 03:53 AM
Well, I finally got my shop to a point where I wasn't ashamed to show it to folks all around the world. Take the worst of those so far and make them nearly inaccessible, that was my shop about two days ago. We had a birthday party for my twins this Saturday and I was going to have to have the garage open while grilling the meat, so...I spent a few days cleaning. Here are the results.

Going from left to right is moving anti-clockwise from the front door. In the middle of the bench in the second photo is an old Stanley No.4 bench plane that I'm refurbishing for use. The peg racks in the third and fifth pictures were just made this past week and are perfect for getting soft, flexible things up and out of my way.

More in the next post...

jbrown14
06-06-2011, 04:02 AM
In the first picture on the left is the shelf I just made from re-purposed wood torn out of my house when rennovating the bathroom 3 years ago. The white box in the middle holds all of my miscellaneous containers and tins for projects.

The middle picture is my 14 foot climbing wall...that is all. :D

And the last picture is where most of the magic happens. Craftsman toolbox with 3 drawers (filled with mostly automotive tools for my 1995 Honda), my compound miter saw, drill press, belt-disc sander, and tablesaw at the end obscured by a large trap for the feral cats that have plagued us this past year.

My twins (a boy and girl aged 3) have now taken a liking to climbing up on the various stools at Papa's workbench, so I'll be doing some projects with them now!

Well, I hope all had a wonderful weekend. All the best!

Josh

Adam Savage
06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
An Aladdin's cave, filled with great implements of creation. Nice workshop.

jbrown14
06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
An Aladdin's cave, filled with great implements of creation. Nice workshop.

Thanks! Now I just have to find time to finish a couple of projects that have been back-burnered for a while.

RobbC
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
My workshop is currently wherever i can find room, which is usualy the kitchen table much to my mothers disgust LOL. But my parents are giveing me one of our 2 sheds, so in a few months i have a sorry excuse of a workshop in there:p

Robb

Adam Savage
06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
My workshop is currently wherever i can find room, which is usualy the kitchen table much to my mothers disgust LOL. But my parents are giveing me one of our 2 sheds, so in a few months i have a sorry excuse of a workshop in there:p

Robb

Sounds great. No workshop is a sorry excuse for one, not even if it's on the kitchen table, let alone a whole shed. it's what comes out of it that counts, and having your own space.

RobbC
06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Sounds great. No workshop is a sorry excuse for one, not even if it's on the kitchen table, let alone a whole shed. it's what comes out of it that counts, and having your own space.
Never really thought of it like that. I think the best bit will be the actual turning it into my very own workshop.

Robb

Adam Savage
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Never really thought of it like that. I think the best bit will be the actual turning it into my very own workshop.

Robb

And it will be a great place to spend some time. Knowing you did it. I often sit in my workshop just for a cup of coffee and a cigg, looking at the piles of stuff that could be used for things lol

jbrown14
07-06-2011, 01:37 AM

I'll second that! My first "workbench" was really the base of an oak kitchen chair from which the backrest had been removed. I sat on it with a knife clamped to the edge while I worked the handle with hand tools and sandpaper. Oh, it was in my bedroom too. :D

I still have that knife.

Some of the finest craftsmen in furniture making have workbenches that would make you cringe, but produce elegant, fine furniture because their methods are sound and their vision is clear. My grandfather always said, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools." You'll make it count where you can.

All the best!

Josh

Ashley Cawley
07-06-2011, 11:37 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4750371776_f987a2fff9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/elementowl/4750371776/)

Love the living roof & eco friendly materials! Well done :happy-clapping:

I would love to put a living roof on my little brick shed, but I don't know about it yet & it's probably not appropriate.

My shed is small but normally quite organised - having said that at the moment I've got the reverse situation to everyone else - My wife has thrown stuff in there so I literally can't get in it!... and I'm the one who's scared of Spiders! :ashamed: lol.

ElementOwl
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks Ash. If you are considering a living roof I got a useful diy e-guide from www.livingroofs.org (I think it costs about £12) it includes a bit about strengthening a standard shed to take the weight of the roof and also gives information on the type of planting/build up that will do well, where to get materials and some tidy details to follow. To be honest I wish I had found it before I built mine, I would have done a few things differently. Some of the commercial guys I spoke to wanted to charge me about £5000 to do the waterproofing and planting, way over the top for a little garden building!

You never know, when the weather gets a bit cooler you could leave the shed door open and a passing robin might clear a few of those spiders for you.

I think I would also have to agree with crazysaint222 & Josh, the kitchen table can make for a great workshop, plus when OH gets fed up with the stuff being in the way it could be time to make the suggestion "well I could always put up a workshop somewhere in the garden"