PDA

View Full Version : A Truly Sad Day

Humakt
31-05-2011, 09:48 AM
It's finally happened.
I'd been dreading it for a while now, but the last few times...well...I knew it was coming to an end.
Yes.
My little £1.49 Wilkinsons frying pan has died.
The poor little fella has gone to the Great Frying Pan Heaven up above where he will be happy with his frying pan ancestors.
Me and that little chap have had many good times - he's fed me and...er...well, just fed me. But he's done it more times than any pot or pan I've ever owned ever before!
Hand in hand we'd head off into the woods, both with a smile on our faces and excitement nestling comfortably in our bosoms. But it will be no more.
In his memory I intend to carry on. I know things will never be the same, but to just stop would be an overly flamboyant, and melodramatic, gesture. And the little fella wouldn't want that, in the same way I wouldn't want him to stop cooking sausages if I'd carked it first. No.
But I can not find it in my heart to go once more to Wilkinsons and buy another cheapo frying pan. That would be an equally hollow gesture. So I will take myself to Millets or Mountain Warehouse where I shall buy a proper camper's frying pan. And whilst there I will try to be strong and not shed a little tear for a old, faithful, but sadly departed, friend. But a new pan I shall buy, and doubtless we will have many fry-ups together as well.
If, perhaps, when you find yourself taking out your favourite pan, and can think of a little 8" ali pan who no longer eagerly awaits a drop or two of olive oil and say a humble 'amen' for him, then I'm sure I know someone who will be thankful.
Amen, my little friend - it's a Goochi pan for me now.

comanighttrain
31-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I am sorry for your loss.

happybonzo
31-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Oh gawd, another RIP thread :D

CanadianMike
31-05-2011, 06:00 PM
This is the second time today I read about a frying pan. What are the chances? A friend e-mailed me this:

A man was sitting reading his papers when his wife hit him round the head with a frying pan.

'What was that for?' the man asked.

The wife replied 'That was for the piece of paper with the name Jenny on it that I found in your pants pocket'.

The man then said 'When I was at the races last week Jenny was the name of the horse I bet on' the wife apologized and went on with the housework.

Three days later the man is watching TV when his wife bashes him on the head with an even bigger frying pan, knocking him unconscious.

Upon re-gaining consciousness the man asked why she had hit again. Wife replied.. 'Your horse phoned'

Thumbcrusher
31-05-2011, 07:32 PM
A sad day indeed mate. I hope you've given the little fella a worthy send off?

bigzee
31-05-2011, 07:58 PM
If there's anything I can do....anything....don't hesitate to ask...

There's something about this getting mileage out of cheap stuff thing than can get a bit "out of proportion". It's like an mission to expand the value for money aspect beyond all reason. Poundland tat that goes above and beyond the call of duty to exhibit exraordinary strength of character in all manner of trying situations!

comanighttrain
31-05-2011, 08:13 PM
what happened to it? handle fall off?

Humakt
01-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Poor little chap's mounting bracket for the handle finally cracked and snapped. Can't really use a pot grabber because the sides are sloped and a pot grabber doesn't really work.
As well as that the non-stick surface has long since given up being non-stick.

Time to take him to the top end of the field and put a kindly bullet in the head.

Adam Savage
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Poor little chap's mounting bracket for the handle finally cracked and snapped. Can't really use a pot grabber because the sides are sloped and a pot grabber doesn't really work.
As well as that the non-stick surface has long since given up being non-stick.

Time to take him to the top end of the field and put a kindly bullet in the head.

What out for ricochets

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Buy a cast iron pan- they're ggggrrrrreat. As some cereal mascots say.