PDA

View Full Version : small hand axe ?

Daz
05-06-2011, 05:03 AM
im looking for a small axe which i can carry on my pack and use for carving,light splitting work and other little jobs in the woods.

cheers
Daz

RobbC
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Well il say it before anyone else does, Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet.

Robb

Scott
05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
It is a great little axe

Martin
05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Why would you want to carry an axe for those jobs? A sharp knife would do all those things and more for less money and far less weight.

Martin

Adam Savage
05-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Why would you want to carry an axe for those jobs? A sharp knife would do all those things and more for less money and far less weight.

Martin

I'm with you on this one Martin. A sturdy blade and a baton will sort most situations. An axe only comes in handy for splitting a good haul of 3-4 inch and upward stock, which you are...
A: Unlikely to find large quantities of, just laying around
B: Unlikely to need for a basic fire, for cooking and boiling

Having said that, I sometimes take a small hatchet with me, just because it feels useful. it hardly gets used though. :ashamed:

Woodwose
05-06-2011, 04:12 PM
5 o’clock posting on a Sunday morning,,, my word.
If the man wants an axe, he wants an axe. :)
Well the axe vs. knife thing. I don’t get it. Personally I carry both.
Maybe a knife would cover you for most woodland tasks but there is also a pleasure and skill in using an axe. I like having that choice. Weight has never really been an issue for me.

I’d recommend a Husqvarna hatchet; it will do all you want and more. From felling to feather sticks.
On the cost front, I reckon it depends on what knife you buy over the axe. Any particular knife in mind Martin.

Husky Hatchet link,
http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-502640201-hatchet.html

Martin
05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
5 o’clock posting on a Sunday morning,,, my word.
If the man wants an axe, he wants an axe. :)
Well the axe vs. knife thing. I don’t get it. Personally I carry both.
Maybe a knife would cover you for most woodland tasks but there is also a pleasure and skill in using an axe. I like having that choice. Weight has never really been an issue for me.

I’d recommend a Husqvarna hatchet; it will do all you want and more. From felling to feather sticks.
On the cost front, I reckon it depends on what knife you buy over the axe. Any particular knife in mind Martin.

Husky Hatchet link,
http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-502640201-hatchet.html

I guess a Mora would be good enough. I also have an axe and never take it out with me. Having been led down the path of lighter and lighter kit, I really see an axe as a superfluous item. Nice to look at and conjours up romantic images of the woodsman but other than that I can't see the point. However, as you said, if the man wants an axe he wants an axe. ;)

Martin

Adam Savage
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Take a look at this for an extreme use of knife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZZj-5A9u0

swkieran
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
i carry my mora knifes and a folding saw does the job of an axe:),on a litle trip to dorset i made a couple of tent pegs and 2 steaks for a washing line using them,i was very envious of a guy across the other side of the field thou lol,he had a tepee with a wood fired stove in it for cooking and heating,very cosy :) especially at night times

Daz
06-06-2011, 04:42 AM
thanks all
i have the Husqvarna hatchet and a mora 2000 knife but i feel the Husqvarna is a little to big for what i want and to carry on my pack.
will keep looking

Adam Savage
06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
thanks all
i have the Husqvarna hatchet and a mora 2000 knife but i feel the Husqvarna is a little to big for what i want and to carry on my pack.
will keep looking

Like Robb says, if you want a nice small axe, that is smaller and lighter than the husky, go for the wildlife hatchet. It also has a narrower head, to make slicing and chopping tasks that little bit easier.

Humakt
06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
What about a machete type thing?
I have one of these:
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/british-army-bushcraft-machete.htm

I use it more than my axe.

Adam Savage
06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
What about a machete type thing?
I have one of these:
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/british-army-bushcraft-machete.htm

I use it more than my axe.

I have one of those too. Although I only use it for cutting willow wands, bracken and anything else thin. I find it easier to use an axe for the splitting jobs, as the cutting edge protrudes further from the knuckles (saving you scuffing them) and the weight is more controllable, as in you can rest the axe head on the end of a narrow-ish piece, then tap them together onto a firm surface to start the split off. Also if cutting in semi confined areas, the extra length of the machete is easier to catch on things you don't want to cut lol.

Daz
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
i also have the machete you mention lol ....think i just like collecting shiney things

thanks again
Daz

Woodwose
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
i also have the machete you mention lol ....think i just like collecting shiney things

thanks again
Daz

You can never have to many sharp shiney things.

You aint going to get much smaller than the Gransfors mini hatchet. I'd love to try one.

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Gransfors_Bruks.html

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 03:19 PM

You aint going to get much smaller than the Gransfors mini hatchet. I'd love to try one.

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Gransfors_Bruks.html

If you notice though, the Hand hatchet below it is smaller.

Daz
07-06-2011, 03:25 PM

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/a...ors_Bruks.html

looks like just the chopper im after....just need some OT to pay for it lol

thanks again
Daz

Woodwose
07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
If you notice though, the Hand hatchet below it is smaller.

Oh yeah so it is,:ashamed: but the the mini is only 340grams compared to the 730grams hand hatchet. :tongue: I think he should get both and do a comparison.:)

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah so it is,:ashamed: but the the mini is only 340grams compared to the 730grams hand hatchet. :tongue: I think he should get both and do a comparison.:)

I think we should ;)

Ben Casey
07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I use my Old army machete type thing all the time it is great for all sorts of jobs I even made a bow with it on the Cornwall RV so it will do most things I think a axe is a bit over the top :)

MikeWilkinson
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I use a WWII Brades hatchet that I picked up at a car boot for a £5, Sheffield Steel, small enough to stick in my pack, holds an edge like a razor.

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 04:23 PM
You just don't want to carry the extra weight lol

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/projects%20and%20equipment/08052011648.jpg

Daz
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I think he should get both and do a comparison.

lol.....i think your right....how can i tell the wife i "NEED" two more axes ?

Daz

Daz
07-06-2011, 05:01 PM
You just don't want to carry the extra weight lol

nice....what saw is that ?

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 05:25 PM
nice....what saw is that ?

it's just a cheapo Silverline Tri cut pruning saw, I primed and painted the nasty blue grip with Brooklands green lol. £7.50 on eBay I think it was.

It's always hard to explain to the missus, just how much you "need" these things and how much better "her" life would be when "you" own them. If only it was as easy as it sounds haha.

MikeWilkinson
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Brades Criterion Small Axe - £5 Car boot sales/ Ebay

Small greenwood Folding saw - £4.99 Ebay

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice little axe and saw. Do you find the blade a little on the flexible side?

MikeWilkinson
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Not really, When I first got it I had a few problems but I think I've just got used to it. Works well on both green and dead wood.

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Not really, When I first got it I had a few problems but I think I've just got used to it. Works well on both green and dead wood.

Cool, I found a similar thing with my little draper folding saw (also around £4.99) but like you say, I guess if you use it right, it makes the difference lol. I've always been a bit rough with kit haha ;)

MikeWilkinson
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I looked at some of the laplanders and bahco and didn't like the modern materials for the handles, I like organic looking tools (hence Birch bark sheath to hide the Plastic Mora handle). Nearly bought the Opinel folding saw and then spotted that.

Adam Savage
07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I looked at some of the laplanders and bahco and didn't like the modern materials for the handles, I like organic looking tools (hence Birch bark sheath to hide the Plastic Mora handle). Nearly bought the Opinel folding saw and then spotted that.

I know what you mean with the natural material. I wanted to re handle my saw. As well as going and buying a £20 knife just because it had walnut scales and a leather sheath lol. Hence why I am making my own knife at the minute. i don't think I've seen those Opinel saws, will have to look for them.