PDA

View Full Version : Stove: Made from nothing - costs alot

Kieran
21-11-2010, 09:07 AM
This stove could be easily made; I can't believe how much it costs :)

Martin
21-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Err, what are we looking at Kieran??

Martin

Kieran
21-11-2010, 10:18 AM
sorry.
I didn't post the link.
I FAIL
http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Trail_Designs_Caldera_Keg.html

Kieran
21-11-2010, 10:21 AM
sorry about that

JEEP
21-11-2010, 10:25 AM
You are quite right; the price is almost insulting.

The system may be efficent and lightweight - but considering how fragile it must also be, I would personally never throw my money efter one. I may, on the other hand, have a go of making something similar myself, one day.

Regards.

Jakob

Kieran
21-11-2010, 10:42 AM
its simply a tin can, used for boiling water :)

JEEP
21-11-2010, 10:43 AM
It's slightly more that that actually. The cone design is quite clever actually.

Kieran
21-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes, the cone is. but the can isnt :)
Thanks JEEP

gemgenie
21-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Its showing as out of stock so no price visable - im intrigued as to how much they are charging for this?

Martin
21-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Its showing as out of stock so no price visable - im intrigued as to how much they are charging for this?

Me too. Maybe they got embarrassed at the publicity and pulled the product for fear of the ridicule they'd get from the NaturalBushcraft community. :rolleyes:

Martin

Skate
21-11-2010, 04:10 PM
By looking at the column on the left and clicking on ultralight cooking it comes up at 50 quid !!!!!! I have made several coke can stoves all a little different. One works quite well and has been used often. It sits inside a steam pudding tin which protects it and works as a wind shield. For 50 quid I would want lots more than is on offer there [:)]

paul standley
21-11-2010, 07:09 PM
The "KEG" or Heineken 24 ounce aluminium beer can (also known as a Heiny" has Cult status amongst light-weight back packers, particularly in the USA and a whole sub-culture of cooking systems have built up around it including the light weight Caldera system where the wind shield is also the pot support. The Heiny pots are difficult to get hold of in the UK.

The Caldera wind shield and integrated pot stand combined is clever and creates an efficient tranfer of heat from the meths stove into the keg pot. I haven't built one myself yet but I plan to. There are some good you tubes on how to construct a caldera cone.

gemgenie
24-11-2010, 05:01 PM
£50!!!!

Holy guacamole thats mental - that said I did by the honey stove from backpacking light which at the time I thought was a bit pricey for a few sheets of metal but its one of the best things ive ever bought. :)

Skate
24-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Did you get the free sweets included?

C. Lupus
24-11-2010, 10:38 PM
The Caldera-F Keg system sells for $59.95 US. The -F designation refers to the use of the Foster's can as the cook pot. It is designed primarily for ultralight backpackers, who use boiling water to cook their freezer bag food. It is durable, but to a point. It needs to be used with care, but does an excellent job at what its designed to do. It will boil a half liter of water in about 4-5 minutes on about 1 oz. of meths.
Here's a link for the stove system.
http://www.antigravitygear.com/trail-designs-caldera-keg-f.html