PDA

View Full Version : Shelters

mike 01302
18-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Just got back from a bit of a scratch about for a couple of days it was only local (doncaster) i was planning to build a small shelter for the night (took a basha just encase lol) and was amazed at just how quick you can knock one up and with the weather we have had over the last few days i was amazed at how good and effective they are i am now seriously thinking about leaving sleeping bag and basha behind from now on and just taking my bivi bag and thermorest in my pack once i can convince swmbo to show me how to put pics from my phone onto here i will. I seriously urge people to give it a try all it was, was a open fronted lean too a small fire for cooking and warmth and a double heat reflector, all in it took me about 1 1/2 hours from choosing my site to putting billy can on the fire not too bad at all considering i was expecting it to take about 3 hours :campfire: happy days

Adam Savage
18-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Did it rain during the night?

mike 01302
19-06-2011, 02:27 PM
yeah it bloody piddled down but it never got through :)

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Result lol. What did you end up using for the roofing material?

mike 01302
19-06-2011, 05:31 PM
used dead wood for the rafters put a light covering of leafy branches over to stop the leaves falling through then threw leaf litter and bits from the ground over the whole lot to thatch it (about 10" thick) then a light covering of twigs and leafy branches to stop it all blowing off worked a treat

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Nice, normally need around 36" of leaf litter to guarantee water proofing (well that's what the experts say lol). Having leaf litter is a real godsend, when I built my shelter, all we had was bracken and hazel.

mike 01302
19-06-2011, 06:15 PM
3 foot i think i got lucky then lol think next time i might have to thicken it up a bit lol

Adam Savage
19-06-2011, 08:17 PM
If it worked and kept you dry then it's ok if you ask me.

MikeWilkinson
20-06-2011, 10:08 AM
For Leaf Litter I'd usually try and do my fore arms depth - Finger tips to just above my Elbow - If there is a chance of snow then all the way up to my armpit. Varies with other material but generally work on the same principle. Hasn't failed me yet.