PDA

View Full Version : a great 24 hours of faraging.

fish
19-06-2011, 06:51 PM
last night on the way back from the shop i bagged a male mallard (escaped domestic) with the catty,one shot missed at 10 yards the second went through its neck braking its neck as it hit,instant dead duck! went on a further 200 yards and saw a young rabbit,near full grown as sure to be sweet meat,again one shot to the chest it flipped about a bit so my nipper jack went and necked it and brought it back,the shot had penetrated the chest and the ball was just under the skin the other side! not that i expect anything else from my hunter catapult mind!
today went for a mooch,was a fabulous day for it ,saw a squirrel sat in the low fork of a hazel tree,got within 20 yards,usually they bugger off ,this one decided to stay put ,bad decision,i pulled the bands back and twack! he dropped off the back of the branch and to the floor,as i went to pick it up it scurried into a thicket,so we sent the dogs in to find it,3 dogs went in,heard the collied yelp followed by the greyhound,who instantly started to back out of the thicket,it was then i saw the funniest thing in ages,attached to the greyhounds nose was the squirrel,stubbys eyes were bulging and he was cross eyed looking in terror at this 'thing' on the end of his nose! lol it let and then re attached it self to the dogs lead,it was removed and dispatched. The dogs looked well chuffed with themselves .once we were on our way we spotted a cherry tree laden with cherries,i have never seen so many in all my days,in just 10 minutes we picked 5lb of them, then a few paces further into the wood we discovered a carpet of wood sorrel,this stuff tastes really good.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC01709.jpg

good 24 hours worth of mooching i recon! now anyone know of a recipe for squirrels and cherries?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC01924.jpg

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 07:07 PM
last night on the way back from the shop i bagged a male mallard (escaped domestic) with the catty,one shot missed at 10 yards the second went through its neck braking its neck as it hit,instant dead duck! went on a further 200 yards and saw a young rabbit,near full grown as sure to be sweet meat,again one shot to the chest it flipped about a bit so my nipper jack went and necked it and brought it back,the shot had penetrated the chest and the ball was just under the skin the other side! not that i expect anything else from my hunter catapult mind!
today went for a mooch,was a fabulous day for it ,saw a squirrel sat in the low fork of a hazel tree,got within 20 yards,usually they bugger off ,this one decided to stay put ,bad decision,i pulled the bands back and twack! he dropped off the back of the branch and to the floor,as i went to pick it up it scurried into a thicket,so we sent the dogs in to find it,3 dogs went in,heard the collied yelp followed by the greyhound,who instantly started to back out of the thicket,it was then i saw the funniest thing in ages,attached to the greyhounds nose was the squirrel,stubbys eyes were bulging and he was cross eyed looking in terror at this 'thing' on the end of his nose! lol it let and then re attached it self to the dogs lead,it was removed and dispatched. The dogs looked well chuffed with themselves .once we were on our way we spotted a cherry tree laden with cherries,i have never seen so many in all my days,in just 10 minutes we picked 5lb of them, then a few paces further into the wood we discovered a carpet of wood sorrel,this stuff tastes really good.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC01709.jpg

good 24 hours worth of mooching i recon! now anyone know of a recipe for squirrels and cherries?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/fishfish_01/Bushcraft/DSC01924.jpgNice 'pult, is it home made?

fish
19-06-2011, 08:29 PM
yes ,i make them for a living,shoots at 210 feet per second.

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Coo! Where do you sell 'em?

Metal mug
19-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Just found your site. Brilliant.

fish
19-06-2011, 10:22 PM
if your intrested pm me as i offer a generous discount for NB members.

bikebum1975
20-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Looks like fun

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Naughty, out of season duck lol. Does that make it taste better? haha

Metal mug
20-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Naughty, out of season duck lol. Does that make it taste better? haha All you need to get with the 'pult now is the ala ronge and you're set.

fish
20-06-2011, 10:58 PM
twas an escaped domestic and so general license regulations dont apply.

Adam Savage
20-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Tame captive-raised mallards may be removed by shooting during the established hunting season for mallard ducks and so long as the birds are confined to a licensed Regulated Shooting Area. If the shooting is to take place outside the hunting season for mallard ducks written permission from the Wildlife and Heritage Service is required.

Roadkillphil
21-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice haul Fish! :D Matt and Ash introduced me to woodsorrel at Wistmans wood, it was bleddy ansome! Never found any since mind.

All the best

Phil