PDA

View Full Version : First Outing - Trying New Skills - Lessons Learned

mstaines
20-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Went out on my first real bushcraft outing this weekend, just to try out some new skills, take a few videos and also learn some valuable lessons...

1. Bought myself a cheap (£1.99) 2m x 2m polythene tarp, along with 15m of 6mm paracord (£4.00), 10 small carabiners (£7.00) and handfull of pegs (20p each) and tried a simple tarp setup.

I had already made myself some prusik loops out of some strong shoe laces I had removed from an old pair of shoes and they worked really well... (Lesson Learned No.1 - when you drop a black prusik loop (shoelace) on the woodland floor it can be difficult to spot... Must make some more out of bright orange paracord)

Once the tarp was set up, I decided to get under it and do some firelighting (Lesson Learned No.2 - Must remember to take some sort of groundsheet to sit on (Survival bag maybe) as it was raining and the ground was WET !

2. Found an old "Permenant Match" in my shed that I had purchased back in the 80's, but never actually used due to it leaking. So decided to just use the firesteel aspect of the tool. And to my surprise it worked first time and really well, creating a sufficient spark to ignite my tinder (Cotton wool and birch bark). However after my first (successful) attempt thought I'd have another go, but hadnt any cotton wool left or birch bark (Lesson Learned No.3 - Must make sure I have sufficient firelighting tinder etc. on next outing)

All in all, I had a good few hours just pottering around the woods, on my first day as a bushcrafter... And it felt good !

But the main lesson I have learned is that getting out there and practicing your skills, learning new skills and trying out different kit etc. is valuable time spent...

Here's to my next outing...

MikeWilkinson
20-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Good for you Mick, Sounds like you had an enlightening few hours despite the rain. With a bit of practice you can get birch bark to light what ever the weather.

Martin
20-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you had a ball. Take the lessons learned with you next time. :)

Martin

luresalive
20-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Thats what it's all about, getting out and trying it, no matter how little you learn it's all about the enjoyment

Ben Casey
20-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Good to hear you had some fun try a picnic blanket for a seat :)

mstaines
23-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Went out again today and it was chucking it down (Great test for my new tarp). Finally found a decent location and proceded to setup my base camp for the day. Soon learned that you ALSO need to account for nearby trees to tie to for the guylines of your tarp, not just the 2 for the ridge line (Well for todays configuration anyway)...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0162.jpg

Once setup, I tried out my new (Well, army surplus...so old) Swedish Army Trangia Stove (£10.00 including specially designed cup). Really impressed with it and made myself a nice brew and some scrabbled egg...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/mstaines/IMG_0143.jpg

All in all an enjoyable day, with loads more knowledge under my Lancashire rain soaked belt...

Next test will be my new hammock and mosquito net I have just won on that auction site... Come on Posty !!!

jbrown14
23-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a fantastic time! That's just about the best way to learn right there, by doing things, maybe making mistakes, but learning from them. Keep it up, you'll become more and more proficient as time goes on.

Josh

MikeWilkinson
24-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Looks good Mike, let me know about meeting up next week thursday/friday, which ever is easiest.

mstaines
24-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks good Mike, let me know about meeting up next week thursday/friday, which ever is easiest.

Mike, Thursday is good for me, about 7.15pm... Did you say the first carpark you come to on the left, as you come off the A675 onto Crookfield Road ?

Regards, Mick

LeeSunny
07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
reading with intrest as my 1st outing is in 8 days time on dartmoor :-)