PDA

View Full Version : Ray Mears - Outdoor Survival Handbook

Ashley Cawley
07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
This is one of my favourite books, I would say one of the most inspiring books I read as a youngster and got me enthused with Bushcraft.
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/images/competitions/ray-mears-outdoor-survival-handbook/ray-mears.jpg

I love the book so much I recently bought a new signed copy and gave it away as a free prize on NaturalBushcraft :cool: Anyone else read this one? If you would like to buy a copy you can get it here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0091878861/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=naturbushc-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0091878861).

Martin
07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I've got that book Ash. Very good it is too, especially the section on shelter building, although I would strongly recommend trying the techniques out before you need to use them for real. Most of them are a lot more difficult than it would appear from reading the book.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I like how the book is laid out also, starting with the basics, introducing you to kit, clothing, map skills & navigation and then following with the seasons for food, shelter & warmth.

I would say it's a great book for beginners and like you say it's worth practising the various techniques before you need to rely on them.

Claire Cawley
12-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Even I have read this book literally from cover to cover. Easy for everyone to understand and follow. :camping:

rich290185
05-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi guys just got this book after seeing what you all said about it,

love it thank for recommending it!

Rich

comanighttrain
05-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Great book! Often reread for some things

Martin
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I've always found this to be a good read. In fact, I saw Ashley reading it on Friday night. :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E233NJxuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Martin

raven75
05-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for putting that up Ashley, it looks like a really good read, I have just ordered it from Amazon and cant wait to get right in about it.

Realearner
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Got to agree, got this book on sale at waterstones a couple of months back, read it in a couple of days, and always love to go back and read bits over again.

jus_young
06-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Good book this one. I have also recently bought The Wilderness Suvival Guide by Joe O'Leary, another easy read.

telbert
19-09-2011, 08:05 PM
My copy of this arrived this morning after ordering it for the second time from Amazon.I've just finished cherry picking my way through it and ill start again tomorrow cover to cover. Looks a great book

Mang
19-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I've got the three books mentioned and like them all with Joe's having some nice humour about it. I'd *personally* like to see Ray's book given a makeover with some colour pictures rather than the b/w diagrams for instance. Just my thought.

rich290185
19-09-2011, 09:49 PM
with you there Mang....ace book tho took me a week to read (quick for me):ashamed:

Ashley Cawley
20-09-2011, 09:07 PM
... I'd *personally* like to see Ray's book given a makeover with some colour pictures rather than the b/w diagrams for instance. Just my thought.
Likewise I would love to see the same! Having said that he has done subsequent books that are full of colour photography and arguably include more, that's not to say I still wouldn't love to see this book re-done! :o

bushcraftboy
21-09-2011, 03:13 PM
This is one of my favourite books, I would say one of the most inspiring books I read as a youngster and got me enthused with Bushcraft.
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/images/competitions/ray-mears-outdoor-survival-handbook/ray-mears.jpg

I love the book so much I recently bought a new signed copy and gave it away as a free prize on NaturalBushcraft :cool: Anyone else read this one?

I think I'll buy it, on my birth day I'm getting this and Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival 1 - 3 seasons.

I can't wait to get it.

Ashley Cawley
21-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I think I'll buy it, on my birth day I'm getting this and Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival 1 - 3 seasons.
I can't wait to get it.

:o You can buy this book here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0091878861/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=naturbushc-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0091878861).

Realearner
21-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Just got Rays book bushcraft survival hardback, used for £6.50.
Not had chance to read, but flicked through pages and looks like another good read.

BushcraftCambsUk
26-09-2011, 09:58 AM
This book was one of the first that i bought and it is a dimond. It has now been passed on to my baby brother who is 11 and is really starting to love his bushcraft.
Just goes to show how well put together the book is that an 11 year old can read, understand and put the things from the book into practice.

jus_young
26-09-2011, 09:42 PM
This book was one of the first that i bought and it is a dimond. It has now been passed on to my baby brother who is 11 and is really starting to love his bushcraft.
Just goes to show how well put together the book is that an 11 year old can read, understand and put the things from the book into practice.

Kids are scary these days in what they can pick up and do. I used to find it most annoying when I sat at the computer trying to prepare presentations for training courses with my 10 year old daughter laughing at me saying 'I can do that for you if you want dad' !!!

Mouldsy
02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
T^

I love the book so much I recently bought a new signed copy and gave it away as a free prize on NaturalBushcraft :cool: Anyone else read this one? If you would like to buy a copy you can get it here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0091878861/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=naturbushc-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0091878861).

Have to agree it's a cracking book, he also has one which was out before this one but they are like hen's teeth, luckily I have that as well. When I was finding my way in the woods the S.A.S survival handbook by Lofty Wiseman was my bible until Ray came on the scene, it was probably the best Christmas present Santa brought me.;)

luresalive
02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I have the survival handbook too ( his first book) but I think this one the Outdoor Survival book pips it.

Dan XF
18-10-2011, 08:40 AM
When I was a kid I bought the book "No Need to Die" which was a fantastic introduction to survival written by Eddie Mcgee, who used to have Lofty's job before Lofty was born. He did a TV series on ITV which opened my eyes to the great outdoors. A great book which the author illustrated himself. I ended up doing a combat Survival course and Lofty's book was the required reading for it but it taught me little more than the older dog eared book I'd had for years.