PDA

View Full Version : Farrimond Friction Hitch ?

mstaines
28-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Has anybody ever heard of the Farrimond Friction Hitch, which works very much like the Cawley Hitch. It may well be called something different, so would be interested to hear if anybody else has heard of it or indeed uses it...

I actually prefer the Farrimond to the Cawley, for reasons I demonstrate in the video below :

http://youtu.be/oH57nkG9DZk

Regards, Jester (Mick)

Ben Casey
28-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi I like the vid and will have to try it out :) But it looks fiddly if you have cold fingers and I noticed I have been doing the other knot the wrong way so it was very helpfull for me :)

Silverback
28-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Farrimond releases cleaner, I likee....

bigzee
15-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm a bit of a "knot-nerd" so I'll try that in a bit. The prussik knot has a reliable simplicity which appeals to me, and this looks like a good variation/application of it. That release looks a bit explosive - I wouldn't want to inadvertantly catch the free end whilst in a hammock!

Silverback
15-08-2011, 11:14 AM
That release looks a bit explosive - I wouldn't want to inadvertantly catch the free end whilst in a hammock!

Thats why i use clove hitches attached to krabs for my hammock

LandRoverMatt
15-08-2011, 12:04 PM
good video mate

Adam Savage
15-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Thats why i use clove hitches attached to krabs for my hammock

I just use my tree huggers for the hammock lol, but this one could be useful for the guys. Although you can tie the adjustable knot (cawley hitch) with one hand, which is useful, I can't see me being able to do the farrimond with just one hand.

Silverback
15-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I just use my tree huggers for the hammock lol, but this one could be useful for the guys..

Yes i have some home made tree straps (25mm nylon webbing and steel rings) but my hammock has 'rope' for want of a better word threaded at the ends so tree hugger goes on, then krab through ring at end of tree strap, clove hitch to hammock rope et voila built in drip ring to boot

Adam Savage
15-08-2011, 02:50 PM
This is part of a recent video I made, that shows my huggers, spreaders, crabs, etc.. The hammock features at around 18 minutes onward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_BYV260duo&t=18m

Silverback
15-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Love the spreader bars and the knotted huggers......busy knottong as we type

Adam Savage
15-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Love the spreader bars and the knotted huggers......busy knottong as we type

lol. Just makes it easier to adjust things. glad you found it of some use.

bigzee
15-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I just use my tree huggers for the hammock lol, but this one could be useful for the guys. Although you can tie the adjustable knot (cawley hitch) with one hand, which is useful, I can't see me being able to do the farrimond with just one hand.
You tie your knots with just one hand? Are you a tractor driver by any chance? All the ones round here drive with one hand - as the other is occupied with the mobile phone (I think they come free with each new tractor.)

Adam Savage
15-08-2011, 09:16 PM
You tie your knots with just one hand? Are you a tractor driver by any chance? All the ones round here drive with one hand - as the other is occupied with the mobile phone (I think they come free with each new tractor.)

haha. I used to be a forklift driver, but not a tractor. There are only a few knots I tie with one hand, the cawley hitch, truckers hitch and slip loop, and that's only because I normally have something in the other hand. And no, not the persons wrists lol.

jus_young
15-08-2011, 09:24 PM
The falconers on the forum are always tying knots one handed. Theres usually a bird of prey sat on the other hand.

bigzee
16-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Looks like a good sensible setup mate, with minimal weight and no unnecessary bits. Do the crabs and drooping webbing ends on the hammock fixings drain rain away from the hammock itself?

Adam Savage
16-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Looks like a good sensible setup mate, with minimal weight and no unnecessary bits. Do the crabs and drooping webbing ends on the hammock fixings drain rain away from the hammock itself?

The webbing soaks moisture until saturated, then drips, but that's just left over length from the setup, so doesn't really matter. It doesn't run onto the hammock itself from those. The crabs act as the drip line and do that very well. Two crabs work better than one, but sometimes there isn't sufficient adjustment to allow for two. The only time the hammock ends get wet, is setup error. If the crabs are beyond the extremes of the tarp, the rain simply falls on the hammock side, rendering the "drip line" function useless. If you set up with the crabs too close to the prevailing wind side, or the tarp too high, the rain drives under the trap and beyond the crabs (resulting in the same outcome).

bigzee
16-08-2011, 09:16 PM
The webbing soaks moisture until saturated, then drips, but that's just left over length from the setup, so doesn't really matter. It doesn't run onto the hammock itself from those. The crabs act as the drip line and do that very well. Two crabs work better than one, but sometimes there isn't sufficient adjustment to allow for two. The only time the hammock ends get wet, is setup error. If the crabs are beyond the extremes of the tarp, the rain simply falls on the hammock side, rendering the "drip line" function useless. If you set up with the crabs too close to the prevailing wind side, or the tarp too high, the rain drives under the trap and beyond the crabs (resulting in the same outcome).
Fair enough -we're not trying to conquer nature here are we?, just to live amongst it and be as comfortable as we can. Nice rig mate - I might try Paul's cheapskate DIY route and make my own.

Adam Savage
16-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Fair enough -we're not trying to conquer nature here are we?, just to live amongst it and be as comfortable as we can. Nice rig mate - I might try Paul's cheapskate DIY route and make my own.

Thanks. As far as the DIY route goes, the results are usually better than any shop bought hammock. You know it's made well (as long as you put a little effort into it), you know exactly what it's made of, you can make it to the size that suits you, the colour you want it, any additional features you want it to have (such as mozzie net, pockets, diagonal guys for "flat bed" setup, etc), the list is endless. Wishing you the best of luck and look forward to seeing the results (if you do go ahead with it).