PDA

View Full Version : Old wife's tales ?

cuppa joe
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Post your old wife's tales here and see if people know weather they are true or not.
My first one is when the weather is hot it is better to drink hot fluids rather than cold ?

Woodwose
08-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Don't eat yellow snow.

Silverback
08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Putting butter on burns as analgesia

Metal mug
08-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I didn't know that old wives had tales? :D

cuppa joe
08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
yellow snow....i think true lol
butter on burns ..i dont know
wifes having tales ...go to thailand.

GwersyllaCnau
08-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I didn't know that old wives had tales? :D

My Mother-in-law has a TAIL

scorpian
08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
A SHIVER means that someone is walking over your (eventual) grave!

good job i never get cold, huh.............well its that 53.79% martian blood.............but dont tell any one, especially the men in :cool:

Bob W
08-07-2011, 10:35 PM
My Granny used to put butter on bumps but not burns.

It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all,,,,,er,,, poppycock!!

If I'd never loved I'd still have a few quid in the bank!!

cuppa joe
09-07-2011, 09:00 AM
My grandma used to put fiery jack on grazes.
After the first time i stopped showing her lol.

Silverback
09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
SNEEZING Or 'a little death' (in places where it is believed the soul momentarily leaves the body with the sneeze). We still use the expression 'Bless you' (short for 'God Bless You'). This stems from the times when a sneeze could mean the plague, viz. 'Coughs and sneezes spread diseases'.

Sneeze 'once for a wish, twice for a kiss, three for a letter, four for something better'. In Scotland, a newborn child is said to remain under 'the fairy spells' until it has sneezed for the first time. It was also believed that an idiot could not sneeze, so that a child's first sneeze was important. If you sneeze when talking you are telling the truth (America); three sneezes before breakfast means you will receive a present during the day (Germany); any sneeze is an indication that someone, somewhere, is saying nice things about you (Japan). It is very lucky to sneeze at exactly the same time as someone else you are with.

COUGHING meant the unexpected entry of a devil into a person who had been telling lies or carrying out misdemeanours of some kind.

HICCUPS are caused by someone who dislikes you complaining to someone else. The only way to stop them is to guess the name of the person maligning you.

YAWNING Can lead to evil spirits entering the body unless you cover your mouth with your hand; it is a sign that Death is calling to you, and you must snap your second finger and thumb.

fish
09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
the RSPCA have powers! now theres an old wives tale! lol:happy-clapping: