PDA

View Full Version : hello

andrew_t
08-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum or should I say we, as I'm the farther of three budding Bear Grylls (new chief scout) or Ray Mears. I have a bever scout a cub scout and a Scout, all of whom love the oudoor life, especially camping out and the fires. I missed most of the scout thing when I was younger so we are trying to learn outdoor skills together. We have no land available so doing it all in our small garden and up the local woods (no knifes or fires). so we joined the forum to get inspiration. I would love to share other experaince on what, where and how to encorage youngster to get hand on. Oh all of this on limited budget as even scouts are now pricing us out at £250 for one for one week summer camp!

I hope you all dont mind but I'll be asking for advice in the next few weeks on the run up to the summer holiday as the kids have big adventures planned for the summer holiday.

Andrew

Adam Savage
08-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the forum Andrew. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, that's what we're here for, to share any knowledge and advice. You'll find loads of useful information on here and the guys and gals are a good solid bunch. Where abouts in the country are you based/near?

Adam

andrew_t
08-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Adam,
we're from a small town called Stotfold in Bedfordshire about 12 miles north of Stevenage.

Andrew

Adam Savage
08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
That's around 50 miles from where I am. If you have transport you would be more than welcome to come to the next available meet at my local site. It's a relatively small piece of broadleaf woodland that I have access to. Holding a meet there next weekend, but all the spaces are full for that one.

scorpian
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
:welcome:Hi andrew, as a father of two boys who are now 22 & 17, i can tell you that there is nothing quite as satisfying as a bivi -up with your boys, building a fire together, building a bivi or shelter together, cooking beans in the tin on the embers( basic example) through to full on bbq or spit roast. you will all carry those memories forever, and hopefully when they grow up they will still be doing it with you like my boys do!

Steve

Jack Russell
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome to NB matey. Don't worry about your budget, there's lot's of "skintcrafters" around these forums to give you the lowdown on how to have a great time for a few pennies. Sounds like you came with the right frame of mind I'm sure you'll feel at home in no time. Enjoy! Jack

Ben Casey
09-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi there from me :)

jus_young
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi from me too!

LeeSunny
11-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Hello fellow newbie :-)
A weeks camping on Dartmoor cost £0.00 :-)

andrew_t
13-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for your welcome, im off now, deeper into the forum to get some help getting the fire started the proper way!

Besrt regards Andrew

Matt
16-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey Andrew,

Hello and :welcome: