PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook?

Kieran
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Say you are just going out for a little walk, and want to make a brew.
What kind of stove do you take with you?
How does it work for you?
Would you recommend it?

Mine is a Swedish Army Trangia (Aluminium)

I bought this set for £10 unissued.

It has a windshield, burner, frying pan, and a pot.

I replaced the original burner with a £2 Highlander one a few weeks ago before a walk on Dartmoor because it is lighter and better shaped so it fits in to the pot easier.

I must say it is the best piece of kit I have ever owned! I love it!

I usually carry a Hexi stove with me for a backup if I am on longer walks, although Alcohol has not failed yet! :D

Martin
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Easy one Kieran. Either the Bushbuddy if I want to have a fire or, if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to make any smoke, then it's the MSR Pocket Rocket gas stove.

I still haven't gotten round to using the Honey Stove so that will come out with me next time. :)

Martin

Kieran
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
:p Cool!
The honey stove is rather expensive for what it is... I might have to get my grandad too make me one, like you had done :D

cuppa joe
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Swiss army stove or Clas Ohlson "Trangia,Optimus copy" also have a Bluet micro plus but dont use it much.

Kieran
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Swiss army stove or Clas Ohlson "Trangia,Optimus copy" also have a Bluet micro plus but dont use it much.

SWEDISH Army

JEEP
12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
For short/solo hikes: Bushcooker, Jetboil Flash or Optimus Svea 123R. Maria prefers a Trangia Mini 28T

For longer hikes on foot: Bushcooker or Trangia 27-3 HA w. gas burner

For longer trips by car or group-hikes on foot: Trangia 25 w. vintage duossal pots, non-stick teflon frying pan, 0,9 L kettle, 4,5 L campfire/trangia pot, multidisc, triangle, meths burner and multifuel burner

chris grace
13-07-2011, 07:00 AM
For short trips (1 day) I take sandwiches and an evernew burner in an MSR mug.For longer trips I use the same burner with an evernew DX stand and solo cook set.I find these set ups cover everything I need.

cuppa joe
13-07-2011, 07:42 AM
SWEDISH Army

ok Swedish army stove..my mistake lol.

comanighttrain
13-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Crusader cooker with hexi or alcohol gels...

Occassionally a small fire

pauljm116
13-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Ive been using a Swedish army Trangia for a couple of years, great stove but always had trouble pouring from it. Im now looking at getting a trangia 27 with a kettle, its more bulky but by leaving the pans at home should be quite light.

Notredame11211
13-07-2011, 08:24 PM
I recently purchased a White Box Stove to use, but when I'm in Nunavut I use a multifuel burner

jus_young
13-07-2011, 10:50 PM
hobo if fuel dry and easy to get or if its wet Trangia with meths. Love the Trangia, only had it a few weeks but can't stop using it.

chrisj
14-07-2011, 09:24 PM
For a solo day trip if I'm taking a stove (or overnighter with dehydrated meals) it has to be my mini trangia every time. If I'm going for longer trips or making proper food then my trangia 27 non stick with kettle.

If I'm in the canoe so weight and space aren't an issue then ghillie kettle and yukon and maybe the trangia 27 as a backup in case I'm not having a fire for any reason.

If I'm with the family then trangia 27 & trangia 25 or 2 burner and grill cooker running of a 6kg calor propane bottle depending on whether it's a quick trip or glamping family holiday.

JEEP
14-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Another Trangia man - nice :)

paul standley
14-07-2011, 10:45 PM
For a day out (or two) I am now using my chimney Jug Kettle and integrated stove ... works great, gives me boiling water easily

chrisj
15-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Another Trangia man - nice :)

Yes I love my trangias. If the weather is bad and your sat in the tent on a hillside with the stove going in the porch, there is something cosy about the smell of a trangia burning. Plus I love the fact that there is nothing that can go wrong with it. It's 100% reliable.

jus_young
15-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes I love my trangias. If the weather is bad and your sat in the tent on a hillside with the stove going in the porch, there is something cosy about the smell of a trangia burning. Plus I love the fact that there is nothing that can go wrong with it. It's 100% reliable.

If I tried this one it would be the tent burning! Still working out the burn rates for the meths on mine. Last thing I want to do for the ten tors walk is carry excessive amounts of fuel. Enjoying the experimenting though.

MikeWilkinson
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I usually take a coleman F1 gas burner (Cheap and Cheerful) and my DIY hobo stove, depends on what materials are available for sticking in the hobo. Pretty much take that for long or short trips, the difference being on long trips the coleman becomes a back up stove to the wood burner.
Sometimes stick in a small trangia burner and some spirits as well.

Silverback
04-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Home made hobo set with spirit burner addition and hexamine back up

markal17
16-08-2011, 12:00 AM
its got to be the swedish army trangia for me i have the steel one and it does me on days out or longer trips
plus good in a power cut lol

Realbark
16-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Just for short day trips i have been using a Tatonka mug with lid on a gel fuel stove. Its ok for a brew but i wouldnt want to cook on it. Everything fits in the mug and in my shoulderbag. Overnights i still use my SAT or Hobo. I have a ranger Stove too which i use when the missus is with me as it boils a good lot of water quickly - with an alchohol burner usually as wood is not to common on the fens.

kINGPIN
18-08-2011, 07:43 PM
For lightweight walks a gas stove.

For backup a crusader set up.

For gourmet outdoor cooking I have a civvy and army trangia.