PDA

View Full Version : Basecamping

comanighttrain
20-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi chaps.

At times when you are in mountainous regions or are generally scouting it would be wise to set up a base camp so your not lugging all your gear around unneccessarily.

When you are in this situation - what do you take and what do you leave behind?

RobbC
20-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I would probably just take my firesteel, my knife, canteen and metal mug. If im scouting around i dont want to lug much more around tbh :)

Robb

Martin
20-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, I know you're an experienced walker/mountaineer so I guess I'd probably take similar kit to you. In my rucksack I'd be carrying emergency kit including emergency bivi bag, Blizzard sleeping bag, folding torso sized insulating mat, first aid kit, emergency rations, whistle, mobile phone with spare battery, torch with spare batteries, stove, water, brew kit, food for the day, knife, spare map and compass, dry clothes, waterproofs, spare fleece or down jacket (depending on time of year).

I think that pretty much covers my daily walking kit and keeps me covered for most eventualities. Seems like quite a bit of stuff but doesn't really weigh very much and is always in my day pack anyway.

Martin

RobbC
20-07-2011, 05:39 PM
ah i was basin it on like an hour scout around, and not in mountains lol.

comanighttrain
20-07-2011, 07:36 PM
ah i was basin it on like an hour scout around, and not in mountains lol.

no no that still applies...getting turned around in a big wood is still be a big problem :P

I'm thinking about my future expeditions hopefully in europe a lot. I'm going to have to leave a camp (most of my food, my tent, my doss bag) when im out and about. Facing the very real possibility that i might come back and someone has pinched or destroyed it, i get lost or whatever else one can imagine I have been thinking about what really makes your day bag, and i think your daybag should, for bushies like us, be extendable to last longer.

For example in my day bag is usually:

Waterproofs (top and bottom)
Blizzard bag (can be used as a very loud sleeping bag in fair weather)
4000kcal food - that's 1 regular army ration pack(can be rationed to last 3-4 days) of food
1.5l of water in stainless containers
Crusader and 6 gels
medikit
8l worth of water puritabs
map + compass
whistle + firesteel
tin of lighter fuel
fleece and climber type jacket
Swiss army knife

and sometimes depending on what im doing
Bivi shelter
Poles
Leatherman
Soda Can
Strong Plastic bin bag
Poncho

comanighttrain
20-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, I know you're an experienced walker/mountaineer so I guess I'd probably take similar kit to you. In my rucksack I'd be carrying emergency kit including emergency bivi bag, Blizzard sleeping bag, folding torso sized insulating mat, first aid kit, emergency rations, whistle, mobile phone with spare battery, torch with spare batteries, stove, water, brew kit, food for the day, knife, spare map and compass, dry clothes, waterproofs, spare fleece or down jacket (depending on time of year).

I think that pretty much covers my daily walking kit and keeps me covered for most eventualities. Seems like quite a bit of stuff but doesn't really weigh very much and is always in my day pack anyway.

Martin

oh man i nearly forgot to add the single most important piece....

Also
Brew kit.

what insulating mat is it? I doubt i could fit one into my bag

Martin
20-07-2011, 07:57 PM
oh man i nearly forgot to add the single most important piece....

Also
Brew kit.

what insulating mat is it? I doubt i could fit one into my bag

It's an OMM Duo Mat. Like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OMM-Duo-Mat-Sleep/dp/B0027UIRW4

Martin

kINGPIN
02-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd probably just take a poncho, water, some food, and a head torch. And I've always got my zippo and a knife on me when I'm walking anyway.