PDA

View Full Version : Urban survival

Metal mug
09-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Thought this was topical at the moment.

Right you're in your home in the middle of the metropolis when all of a sudden you hear on your radio that a gang of rioters is only a few streets away and they are approaching where you live. What do you do? Do you try and fortify your home and stay put? Or do you pack a bag with a few possessions and try escaping the city? Remember there are riots all over the area and you're in the middle of it all. So......

What would you do?

Silverback
09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Batten down the hatches, and unlock the gun safe...............:guns::guns::guns:

LandRoverMatt
09-08-2011, 01:08 PM
get in your range rover sport and speed it

JEEP
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I would start out by spending one minute gathering more intel:
1. Who are the rioters? (What am I to suspect them to be capable of?)
2. What is their motivation (Will me and my family/our property be a likely target for them)?
3. What are they actually doing/how much have the riots escalated? (Are they throwing rocks, looting stores, burning cars, entering houses, wielding weapons, attacking people randomly etc?)

Having gathered this information, I will spend another minute considering this:
1. Is there any risk of them attacking my and my family?
2. Is there any risk of them damaging my property?

Having obtained information and reflected on it, I will decide on one of three possible actions:
1. Stay put, but lay low. Shut doors/windows, keep lights turned off, stay inside. Await further development, follow the media closely
2. Stay put, fortify and consider my current recourses (food, water, medicine, etc) and means of defending myself and my family - and then lay low awaiting further development, following the media closely, making ready to evacuate if necessary
3. Pack the car with camp gear, food and a sharpened folding shovel - and haul ass!

jbrown14
09-08-2011, 05:14 PM
get in your range rover sport and speed it

Who can afford a Range Rover Sport? I drive a 1995 Honda Civic...

I like Jakob's response. I'll add a little:

If I had no way of getting out of the city, I'd quickly grab tools, fasteners (like screws) and scrap wood from my garage as it is detached from my house by about 75 feet. Even if I didn't end up needing to board up the ground floor, I'd be ready in any case.

Get in touch with neighbors and see what kind of resources we have as a group that may be useful for short to long-term survival.

If I could get out of the city, I'd grab the necessities (food, water, clothing, shelter, first aid...etc.) and a few knives, and haul it out to my Uncle's house in the country.

Incidentally, I've been seeing what's going on in London right now. Absolutely senseless, I really pray that the madness ends soon and that more innocent people are not injured or killed.

All the best,

Josh

Ben Casey
09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I will be finishing of my survival bow and making some more arrows for it I will be testing it at a mates and at present I'm looking at getting a shotgun :) So I would sort of batten down and take pot shoots at them with the Bow and if they sussed it was me I would then shoot as many as I could till it got to hand to hand fighting where I would revert to my machete :)

Maybe I should just leave and move away I may get locked up if we have any police on here LOL

Silverback
09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Its not just London Josh. Liverpool, Salford, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Leeds, Bristol.... more reports are coming in as we type..

jbrown14
09-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I see that now. I've been watching reports on CNN for the last 1/2 hour. I'm speechless, it's like something out of a terrible movie, a disease spreading across the country.

Oh, and you're a sick man, Ben Casey. Just my sort. Keep your chin up and your head down.

Josh

Savagewolfrm
09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Have to say though through all this I have just heard that Tottenham have just signed a new black itallian striker...Grabatelli

Silverback
09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I see that now. I've been watching reports on CNN for the last 1/2 hour. I'm speechless, it's like something out of a terrible movie, a disease spreading across the country.

Oh, and you're a sick man, Ben Casey. Just my sort. Keep your chin up and your head down.

Josh

Aye 28 Days later or similar. I'm with Ben. Kill them all.......;)

Of Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs.......The wolves are at the door and the sheep are trying to hide behind the remaining sheepdogs - I think we already touched on this theory in another thread

Thumbcrusher
09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a picture of my wife on the front door.... i don't need to worry! lol

(Mind you i do if she sees this ha ha)

Terry
09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Batten down the hatches, and unlock the gun safe...............:guns::guns::guns:

As Above

cuppa joe
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I would quickly call the local builders merchant and order two pallets of engineers bricks ...then i would open up a shop selling them at a pound each.

jbrown14
10-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I would quickly call the local builders merchant and order two pallets of engineers bricks ...then i would open up a shop selling them at a pound each.

:happy-clapping: Bravo, Sir. You win all the internets.

LandRoverMatt
10-08-2011, 07:07 AM
well a car and drive of fast

Silverback
10-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Well we found out for real last night as looting and rioting landed in the town where I live.

Admittedly it was centred about 3-4 miles from my house, but who knows about tonight ?

Preparations HAVE begun :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

LandRoverMatt
13-08-2011, 01:14 PM
uh leave a note on the saying gone out for a distraction or your car driving of but with some one else in it then grab your campin gear and leg it

dsavidge
23-09-2011, 03:36 PM

I agree whole heatedly.
Fortunately I do not live anywhere near a down town/urban area.
In Texan we have laws protecting our rights to defend ourselves AND our property. I think a few rounds of 12g 00 buck into/over a crowd would tend to disperse it.

Mouldsy
23-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Cracker mate, I like that one.:happy-clapping::happy-clapping: