PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the gerber gator machete pro?

John,H
24-08-2011, 02:48 AM
My girlfriend has said she's getting me one for my birthday and asked if it would be any good. As I don't know anyone thats used one I thought I'd ask you guys. Any feed back on use would be great

Thanks

happybonzo
24-08-2011, 07:01 AM
I use a machete every day when working in my woodlands. Mine cost £7.99 and I've now had it for 3 years. The sheath that came with it fell to bits and has been lashed up with Gaffer Tape so often that it now looks pretty frightful. The blade takes a good edge and I prefer it to using a bill hook for a lot of the rough clearing work.

Silverback
24-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I have an army issue martindale golok ....never let me down, holds an edge and easy to field sharpen.
OK it doesnt look as gucci as some but then again its not meant to. It's supposed to be functional and versatile and it ticks all those boxes. No idea how much they are surplus, but they can be bought for around £25 new. There is a web - tex version also available, dont know how they compare though.

Adam Savage
24-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I have an army issue martindale golok ....never let me down, holds an edge and easy to field sharpen.
OK it doesnt look as gucci as some but then again its not meant to. It's supposed to be functional and versatile and it ticks all those boxes. No idea how much they are surplus, but they can be bought for around £25 new. There is a web - tex version also available, dont know how they compare though.

The web-tex version has either a hollow, or a flat grind. I have a surplus golok, with the convex grind, that cost around £17 I think. Also have the tramontina, that cost £9.99. Both are great tools, but the golok can take a hell of a beating, due to the thickness of it.

Lurch
24-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Gerber Gator machetes look like something from a zombie film but they're supposed to be OK. The web-tex ones have a blunt edge and need a lot work to get sharp.

Notredame11211
24-08-2011, 05:56 PM
The Quality of Gerber has rapidly declined over the last few years, If I were you I would pass on the Gerber and go for a British Army Golok. http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/martindale-golok.htm

Adam Savage
24-08-2011, 06:41 PM
The Quality of Gerber has rapidly declined over the last few years, If I were you I would pass on the Gerber and go for a British Army Golok. http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/martindale-golok.htm

That is similar to the British Army Golok, but longer and lighter.

This is the British Army version (http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/british-army-bushcraft-machete.htm)

Not sure why they call it the bushcraft machete though ??

Adam Savage
24-08-2011, 06:45 PM
This is the Tramontina (http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/brazilian-machete-carbon-steel.htm), but they just call it a Brazilian machete, probably because they are made in Brazil lol. It says "supplied with a sheath" and although this is true, it's only a vinyl sheath, so won't last too long. Also the blade is quite thin, and the cutting edge quite soft, so they do "ding" easily.

CanadianMike
24-08-2011, 07:51 PM
That is similar to the British Army Golok, but longer and lighter.

This is the British Army version (http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/machetes/british-army-bushcraft-machete.htm)

Not sure why they call it the bushcraft machete though ??

That's the one I have (camo sheath though). I reground the bevel and wrapped the handle, works pretty good and chops wood really well. And of course, works awesome for batonning!

bigzee
24-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a Tramontina one from Brasil, which I paid £3.00 for new at Tattershall car boot a few years back. It has cleared the Ma in law's garden a few times and the wife even used it to clear weeds last week. It is thin, but very effective and easily cuts 1" dia+ although needs a stone running up and down it after every long session. It didn't come with sheath, so in the absensce of any leather, I made one from 1" weldmesh and duct tape (looks crap, but works!) Machetes are as much (if not more) use than an axe but tend to be lighter so I'm all for 'em, although they're not very discreet in a public place.

Adam Savage
24-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I have a Tramontina one from Brasil, which I paid £3.00 for new at Tattershall car boot a few years back. It has cleared the Ma in law's garden a few times and the wife even used it to clear weeds last week. It is thin, but very effective and easily cuts 1" dia+ although needs a stone running up and down it after every long session. It didn't come with sheath, so in the absensce of any leather, I made one from 1" weldmesh and duct tape (looks crap, but works!) Machetes are as much (if not more) use than an axe but tend to be lighter so I'm all for 'em, although they're not very discreet in a public place.

I use the Tramontina more than my golok, purely for the fact it's lighter to carry. Like you said, it does it's job well, even if it does need a touch up every now n then.