PDA

View Full Version : The problem with pollack

luresalive
24-08-2011, 07:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That chef on TV who tells us we should eat less cod and more Pollack doesn't tell you about these does he??

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/luresalive/100_3871.jpg

Pollack are absolutely full of flesh worms!! NOT gut worms, but FLESH worms..believe you me guys, stick with cod!!

JEEP
24-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Eeeew!

swkieran
24-08-2011, 09:30 PM
ive never seen that tbh m8,and ive caught a few in my time, i suppose it depends were you also fish from,my brother went swimming near his home in kent and was ill for about 4 weeks after, kingsdown in kent it was,so i wouldnt want to be eating anything caught in that area.

bigzee
24-08-2011, 11:08 PM
I suppose it's all protein. Just needs a good thorough chewin' before you swallow it to stop 'em recreating the John Hurt teatime scene from Alien!

swkieran
25-08-2011, 01:06 AM
ok so with some large pollock fillets all ready de-boned

1,mix up some batter mix leave to settle for 10mins

2,make shure pollock fillet is dry(pat with kitchen roll)

3,you can now rub some of your choice herbs of your own in at this point(i dont up to u)i put some lemon in and coriander
or what is nice to is orange and coriander,but that is another recipe.

4,so now take the fillet rub some flour on to it with some salt and pepper

5,put deep fat fryer on

6,10mins have now passed pour some bud into the batter mix(it will froff up)
i wont tell u my frying time cause i like my fish still swiming and i know my guts can take it,

7,as soon as it is batterd put straight into fryer(but take the basket out first or it will get caught up in it)when done
sit back grab rest of bud and enjoy

luresalive
25-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Thats a great recipe but I'll substitute the pollack for Cod, Whiting or haddock any day, I've just caught too many pollack with worms in them to be certain they're clean (from the irish sea anyway)

Metal mug
25-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Thats a great recipe but I'll substitute the pollack for Cod, Whiting or haddock any day, I've just caught too many pollack with worms in them to be certain they're clean (from the irish sea anyway) It's probably from all "the old glow in the dark" that's been dumped there. ;)

Thumbcrusher
25-08-2011, 01:45 PM
A couple of years ago i bought some cod from morrisons. got it home and made a chilli marinade which i rubbed on the top of the filliets. within minutes loads, and i mean loads of worms just like those came out of the fillet. obviously didnt like the chilli marinade!

took them back to the shop who very kindly gave me a full refund and a couple of beef fillet staeks as i'd somehow gone off the idea of cod by then!!

So, i guess it's not just pollock that can be infested with the little blighters. As long as its cooked well i dont think any harm would come if you did eat some but it certainly makes you feel a bit queesy when they appear!!

antithetic
01-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I've recently taken up sea fishing. Apparently this is more of an issue in some areas than others. It's also more of an issue with some species than others. Cod, Pollack and Whiting seem to be the biggest offenders from what I can gather.
If the fish is gutted as soon as possible it lessens the problem.
They will be killed off by freezing or cooking and shouldn't cause you any harm. You can try and cut them out if it bothers you but what most people don't realise is that your local fish and chip shop will just drop them in to the frier as is.
I don't know how true this is but it's said that fish populations near Seal colonies suffer more.

Bushwhacker
01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
It's only a Cod worm.
I don't see it as a problem so long as you're not eating it raw.

fish
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
those are known as 'cod worms' but they will live in the flesh of most sea fish and in all honesty youve been eatin them for years,they spend half their life in the gut of the common seal and then the rest in the cod....until the fish gets eaten by a seal then....well you get the idea. i have in the past known cod worm to suvive freezing over short periods but generally long term freezing kills them,hence as i say if youve eaten frozen fish or fish from the chipshop etc youve eaten the cod worm.

Metal mug
01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Cod worms are lovely when dipped in a very small jar of tartar sauce. :D