PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weater Gear

comanighttrain
29-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, Had a hike weekend just past and there is a definite chill coming on. Does anyone have any gear they particularly like using in cold conditions?

I like the keela belay advance jacket : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keela-Belay-Advance-Jacket-Black/dp/B002DPUB4A/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1314650390&sr=1-2

light and totally windproof, doesn't turn useless when wet either.

Martin
29-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Funny you should say that but this year I've bought a new Lowealpine insulated jacket with their own brand synthetic insulation and a Berghaus Incinerator down and hollow fibre filling. The mixture of down, Pertex cover and hollow fibre filling means that it shouldn't stop working when/if it gets wet. I'm hoping to use it with my lightweight sleeping bag this winter so it will become a multi use item. You know that feeling when you have to get out of your doss bag when the ice is on the ground? Well, with this new bit of kit, I will be able to keep most of my sleeping bag on until the last minute before breaking camp. :)

Martin

comanighttrain
29-08-2011, 08:57 PM
never mind when theres ice on the ground....hate getting out my bag at the best of times! :D

thats a pretty solid idea, you could maybe try some insulated trousers too (almost certainly have to whip these off before moving or your skin will be leaking) - I used my snowboard pants last year

Martin
29-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah, well when it gets frosty I just leave my trousers and long johns on. Could add my waterproofs if it gets really cold. I haven't got any winter trousers but Craghoppers do some lined trousers which are reasonably priced. Of course, we don't really get the cold like you do, -5C is seriously seriously arctic for Cornwall and Devon.

Martin

Martin
29-08-2011, 09:08 PM
This is the Lowe Alpine jacket I bought, was a good price I thought and it's very lightweight.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/lowe-alpine-thermo-jacket-mens-446126

Martin

Silverback
29-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Paramo Torres smock or Snugpak softie jacket....toasty

Martin
29-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Paramo Torres smock or Snugpak softie jacket....toasty

Love my Paramo!!! May have to sell my Snugpak Softie though; it's far too large for me and I get cold spots with it. Great insulated coats though!!

Martin

comanighttrain
29-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I was looking at some kind of smock or something to throw over my belay jacket for when i am immobile or in camp...

Silverback
29-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Love my Paramo!!! May have to sell my Snugpak Softie though; it's far too large for me and I get cold spots with it. Great insulated coats though!!

Martin

I get mine issued !!! :happy-clapping:

I have a Mountain Equipment belay jacket arriving shortly, thats on issue too but its a bit bright to be used for bushcraft