PDA

View Full Version : What Milk Powder do you use ?

paul standley
30-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I like white coffee and my instant porridge oats for breakfast when I'm out in the woods (good slow release carbs) and I've tried several types of powdered milk and I struggle to like any of them as they all taste like 'milky water' so I've been taking real milk lately but this is not ideal and obviously, it doesn't keep.

So... what sort of powdered milk do you use ?

Paul.

Realbark
30-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I dont use any Paul - they are all mingin IMO -i use the condensed milk in a tube. Goes straight into a drink or can be watered for cereals.

comanighttrain
30-08-2011, 07:29 PM
How are you purifying your water?

Tap or Chlorine tabs will give you the milky water taste...natural water isnt quite as bad... but at the end of the day...its nae milk

Ashley Cawley
30-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I take normal milk in small coke bottles (that way if I'm just taking quarter or half a bottle I can squeeze out the air and cap it). Like you say it's not ideal but most of my outings are 2-3 days anyway.

I know Matt just doesn't bother with milk when he's out in the bush, he'll have milk in tea at home but has none when out. I'm tempted to try those 3 in 1 coffee sachets he also carries sometimes; coffee, milk & sugar in one.

bigzee
30-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Any dairy herds near woods in your part of the world?

paul standley
30-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Any dairy herds near woods in your part of the world?

T'is all sheep down here Bigzee...!

However - In starting this thread It prompted me to search the interweb again as up to now, the dry milk products I've used have all been skimmed milk powders and I thought that was all that was available but hey presto... I just found a whole milk product made by Nestle (called NIDO) that when mixed with water makes a 3.7% full fat milk. They say that only the water is removed during processing.

I've also been using the 'Dairystix' UHT semi-skimmed liquid milk sachets but just found out that they also make a full fat version so maybe there is hope yet...

Metal mug
30-08-2011, 08:03 PM
You could just take a jersey cow with yourself on your travels. You'd want a lead though, but hey fresh gold top milk when needed. :D

comanighttrain
30-08-2011, 08:41 PM
in the new army rations they have instant white tea and whitener for coffee....they are both ok... probably marginally better than powdered milk but im half sure its toxic

bigzee
30-08-2011, 09:14 PM
You could just be more generous to yourself with the water/powder ratio. Shovel in the white stuff over the recommended ratio and it tastes less like emulsion brush water. Knowing you - you'll not want to waste existing stocks of powder anyway. Have you noticed how quickly that stuff goes into un-dissolvable clumps in between trips?

I've dodged the issue by moving over to sachets of hot choc. Cadburys do good uns, or options belgian (less nice but little convenient sachets).

Any goats out that way?

I have noticed in the supermarkets, a product that claims to be kitten's milk. Jeez! - that's just not right - harvesting a new born fluffy animal for money!

swkieran
30-08-2011, 10:15 PM
in the summer months i do what ash does,but i bury mine in the ground with ice an pack keeps the sun and heat off it,in the winter theres no issues

Dan XF
31-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm a big fan of sweetened condensed milk in a tube. Trouble is I can just suck it out of the tube and that's not good. great with chai for that authentic indian taste.

Martin
31-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I've actually stopped eating all dairy products but I can confirm that the Nido milk is really delicious. I found it in the ethnic section of my local Tesco and when you consider that ethnic in Cornwall means Devon that means it must be available anywhere. ;)

Martin

Metal mug
31-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I've actually stopped eating all dairy products but I can confirm that the Nido milk is really delicious. I found it in the ethnic section of my local Tesco and when you consider that ethnic in Cornwall means Devon that means it must be available anywhere. ;)

MartinEthnic food in Devon? Must be something from Somerset. :)

paul standley
31-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Martin

Thanks Martin for the heads-up on the Nido milk powder.

I looked in my local Asda and Morrisons today but no joy yet. mind you, ethnic in my neck of the woods means the next town up the valley so I'll keep looking....!

Dan XF
01-09-2011, 08:09 AM
I thought ethnic food in the Valleys meant New Zealand Lamb for the English incomers.

JonnyP
01-09-2011, 09:26 AM
we use Lidl milk powder. We like it so much we rarely buy fresh milk these days. It keeps so much better than fresh milk.
Remember to never put powdered milk into boiling water.

markal17
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
pound land do a lovey 3 in 1 just love the taste and the price 10 for a quid not bad

LandRoverMatt
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
tesco milk powder with cows on the front

jus_young
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Found the condensed milk in a tube at Tescos so going to give that a try as a powdered milk substitute by watering it back down again. Also found a packet rice pudding with cinnamon, 66g and 386 kcal if you make it with semi skimmed milk and scoff the lot yourself. Going to try the rice made with the condensed milk and see how it goes.

Mmmmm, cinnamon...

andy202wr
03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I use asdas own powdered milk for cooking bannok etc. Or ty-phoo QT, it dosent look very clever when you add it to a mug, but when you add doiling water and drink, it tastes ok. I give it a 8.5/10.