PDA

View Full Version : Dry Bags or Rucksack Cover?

Humakt
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
We've just been having a discussion -
Which is best - lining your pack (and all it's little pouches) with dry bags, or a single cover over it all? Or both, I suppose.

The dry bag way is the most expensive (though some goochi pack covers can be quite pricey) and means once in place you don't have to stop and put on the cover when it rains. Whilst the pack cover is the cheapest, but if it's heavy and persistant rain it can get in.

What do you use/prefer?

JEEP
02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
I do both.

comanighttrain
02-09-2011, 03:39 PM
learned from the west highland way, both.

With just a cover, rain may seep in and wet some of your great, your stuff gets wet when you open your bag, it may get blown away. etc etc

With just the dry sacks, your bag gets wet, gets heavier and it starts to smell.

Reaps72
02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
I do both too! However I just use heavy duty bin bags as liners & compartmentalise kit
so if I need something I can get to the right bag without getting other stuff wet!

I have also seen people who adapt bin bags as covers too!

Cheap but Functional!

comanighttrain
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I do both too! However I just use heavy duty bin bags as liners & compartmentalise kit
so if I need something I can get to the right bag without getting other stuff wet!

I have also seen people who adapt bin bags as covers too!

Cheap but Functional!

A german chick i met did this... her bag covering bag kept inflating :D

Dan XF
03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I used to use a large Ortlieb dry bag in the main compartment of my Bergen and everything in the side pooches was in little waterproof bags or tins anyway. But it did mean that in heavy rain the Bergen would wet out and start to weigh a ton. I think nowadays I'd probably use a cover as well.

jus_young
03-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Both with overkill. Main compartment is lined with a large bag and smaller bags used on some items inside. Smaller bags used in side compartments and the rucky comes with a large cover as well.

bigzee
03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
You'd think in the year 2011, and with all the tech. advances in breathable waterproof fabrics, that they could make a rucksack that was waterproof when you zipped it up!

Or do you already have one Martin?

bigzee
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I used to use a large Ortlieb dry bag in the main compartment of my Bergen and everything in the side pooches was in little waterproof bags or tins anyway. But it did mean that in heavy rain the Bergen would wet out and start to weigh a ton. I think nowadays I'd probably use a cover as well.
Side pooches??!!....some kind of huskies I'm assuming?

Martin
03-09-2011, 10:17 AM
You'd think in the year 2011, and with all the tech. advances in breathable waterproof fabrics, that they could make a rucksack that was waterproof when you zipped it up!

Or do you already have one Martin?

Err, check out the OMM Classic 32. I can't find anywhere that says it's waterproof but it's never let a drop of water in for me.

Martin

Dan XF
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Yup side pooches. I was informed at high volume that only kangaroos have pouches, Bergens have pooches and only civvies carry rucksacks. This from a man who claimed his first confirmed kill was on the day he was born when he strangled his twin brother with the umbilical chord. With a CV like that you keep yomping with a bergen and you put your dry socks in the pooches and you don't answer back. Thankyou Sgt Taff Evans for the gentle guiding hand!

bigzee
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Yup side pooches. I was informed at high volume that only kangaroos have pouches, Bergens have pooches and only civvies carry rucksacks. This from a man who claimed his first confirmed kill was on the day he was born when he strangled his twin brother with the umbilical chord. With a CV like that you keep yomping with a bergen and you put your dry socks in the pooches and you don't answer back. Thankyou Sgt Taff Evans for the gentle guiding hand!
Bloody hell - SIR YES SIR!!!

Realbark
04-09-2011, 05:06 PM
cover and binliners.

drewdunnrespect
20-09-2011, 12:33 PM
dry bags and a water reppellant rucksack

markal17
20-09-2011, 01:33 PM
i use both and use a poncho over kill or what lol

alvino78
12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
both, just to be sure!
al

Ashley Cawley
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I've not had any problems with the built-in pack cover on my Pro-Force trooper 45L Rucksack which I carry most of the time, the actual bag is fairly cheap, I really like it. Having said that I don't do a ton of hiking, so I probably won't give it as much wet-weather punishment as some might as I'm usually in the woods and take shelter.

GwersyllaCnau
13-10-2011, 12:31 AM

I think I know Sgt Evans (Taff)

Wood_Wose
22-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Im with Martin on the OMM stuff, i have the villain 45l and its never let a drop of water in, dont bother with dry bags for gear or a cover just my waterproof tinder pouch and something to keep my phone/torch/teabags in! I'm yet to use my Vulcan in really bad weather so cannot comment but i will most likely just use 1 dry bag for dry clothes, the above, and poncho for the outside of the pack, should do the trick! anyone else use a poncho or am i one of the few who frequently likes to replicate a kite whilst out walking, the increase in profile sure helps with the wind behind you! :D

jus_young
22-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Another for the poncho. I do have dry bags within the pack but I like to be dry as well and if the poncho is big enough for both, why not? The only problem I have found is that I have a tendency to overheat so might be getting used less and less now that I have the Paramo smock.

Al21
22-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Another green kite flyer here when walking. Water susceptible kit goes in dry bags.

When in a canoe we use holdall type bags with waterproof liners as that saves some of the grief the popular waterproof canoe bags would otherwise get.

Al

FishyFolk
14-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Bin liners and plastic shopping bags for me...and that way I have a rubbish bag to bring my rubbish home in too...as my kit dobn't have to stay so dry then...