PDA

View Full Version : Lathe turning

Blu
09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with regards to starting Lathe turning, both the pole type (because i like traditional work) and electric. I'm a complete newbie with regards to lathes and types of wood to use, so any help would be great.
By the way i'm on a tight budget so keeping cost down is paramount, happy to make anything to keep costs down.

Thanks in advance.

fish
09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
mate i learned all my turning skills from you tube.

Martin
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, JonnyP is your man for the pole lathe and Bernie is an expert at turning on his state of the art electric lathe. Both are users on here so you could send them a PM but I'm sure they'll both be along soon on here. :)

Martin

JonnyP
09-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Pole lathes can be made for next to nothing and are great fun to use.. This was the second one I made in my workshop.. http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6369
I am no expert on the subject, but its all quite simple stuff if you are practical minded.

I also have a powered lathe too, but its not as much fun..

Bernie
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
The pole lathe is cheaper, and mistakes are less severe, so it's a good way to start. But if you're not able to make one, then you should look around for a club near you. I was in a club for many years and learned a LOT from demonstrations and fellow members. The club also has lathes that they hire out to members for a token fee. Ask about and you should find someone near you who has a lathe, and often that person is more than willing to help show you the ropes and maybe even let you use their lathe and tools.

I'll finish with the answer I heard a professional turner give at a show when he was asked "Where's the best place to learn wood turning?" by a enthusiastic spectator:

"In front of the lathe." was the answer ;)

I.e. you need to get hands on with it.

paul standley
18-09-2011, 11:14 PM
As a newbie to wood turning ( I have a small electric lathe) and having recently used a pole lathe at a green wood demonstarion for the first time I can say two things with certainty...

1. Learning in front of the lathe is spot on...
2. It is addictive, so beware...!
You Tube is a great source of first stage armchair learning of basic techniques, names of tools, etc

Paul.