PDA

View Full Version : Getting to dartmoor

Shakey
11-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi I've seen a few videos you guys have done and it seems some of you go to dartmoor quite alot. A few friends and I have been wanting to head down there to do some walking and wild camping for a while but as non of us drive we'd have to get a train down there.

So my question to you is this, where would be a good place to get a train to near to the national park that we could then walk into the park from? We'd be comeing down from the west midlands.

Martin
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Not really any place mate. The nearest station would be Plymouth but it's a long long walk from there. You could get a bus to Tavistock which would get you where you want to go, or even see if you could get one to Princetown.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum

Martin

Shakey
11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Ah thanks and thanks.

Metal mug
11-09-2011, 06:31 PM
60 years ago you could of used the Princetown railway, but that sadly has gone the way of the Dodo.

(Sorry to be of no help :ashamed: )

Raven
19-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I think I'm correct in saying that there Is station at buckfastleigh, which is right on the edge of dartmoor! Best bet is to give them a bell, not sure where you would need to get to to change trains, exeter or torquay, that would be my bet! Good luck

bigstan
19-09-2011, 10:11 AM
If you get the train to Plymouth then a bus to Yelverton you are close to the edge of Dartmoor. From Yelverton you can walk toward Princetown and be on the moor within 4 miles. Alternativly easily walk toward Meavy and you would be near Burrator and not far from Lee Moor. The bus from Plymouth to Tavistock goes through Yelverton and you are within walking distance of Dartmoor along most of its route. From memory the bus from Tavistock to Princetown only runs twice a week. It could be different now i used to live in Princetown in 1987. Stan.

Ichneumon
19-09-2011, 08:31 PM
You won't get up on the moor by train but by taking the train and hopping on a bus from Exeter, Newton Abbot or Plymouth you should get there no problem.

Bus route details here: http://www.cartogold.co.uk/Devon_Transport/Devon.htm

Hope this helps

Paul

swkieran
22-09-2011, 11:13 PM
newton abbot railway station,and bus it into bovey tracey,or buckfastleigh, or ashburton then taxi rest of the way,i know ashburton isint very far from princetown,i used to ride my motor bike a lot in those areas,wen i was seeing a girl from ashburton.