PDA

View Full Version : Any poisonous pine needles?

bushcraftboy
13-09-2011, 05:59 PM
I've searched alot but not much info returned, as pine needles are used for tea, and flavouring, is there any pine (needles) which are poisonous to us?

Because I was watching Ray on YouTube and he said pine needles make a good tea, but he didn't note if there any any poisonous ones, or lookalikes.

JonnyP
13-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't know (or have heard) of any to be poisonous.
Remember pine needles come in pairs.

jus_young
13-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Don't mistake the Yew

bushcraftboy
13-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Don't mistake the Yew

Thanks, I've learned alot about the Yew to be safe.

JEEP
14-09-2011, 07:24 AM
All pine needles contains toxins, which are potentially bad for you. Even Ray warns about drinking pine needle tea too much and too often. A cup now an then is good, especially when it is freezing outside, but don't make it a habit.

Pregnant women (the toxins in pine needles are known to cause miscarriage), people with low kidney/liver/heart function, young children and fragile elderly people, should stay away from pine needle tea.

Dan XF
14-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I never knew there were toxins in pine needles! I was going to introduce my kids to pine needle tea the next time we were out in the woods. A friend who lives in Zimbabwe says he doesn't bother carrying tea bags in the bush as he always finds red bush or rosemary growing wild and just makes tea from them instead. He claims it's a myth that redbush only grows in one valley in South Africa, it's like a weed in Zim. Anybody know of any woodland leaves we can use for tea over here? I've found nettles a little bland and once tried lemon balm which smelt a whole lot better than it tasted. incidentally the dried stalks make great skewers for barbecues.

bushcraftboy
14-09-2011, 05:46 PM
All pine needles contains toxins, which are potentially bad for you. Even Ray warns about drinking pine needle tea too much and too often. A cup now an then is good, especially when it is freezing outside, but don't make it a habit.

Pregnant women (the toxins in pine needles are known to cause miscarriage), people with low kidney/liver/heart function, young children and fragile elderly people, should stay away from pine needle tea.

Brilliant info thanks mate, I'll stick with nettle tea...

JEEP
14-09-2011, 07:46 PM
If you are of good health, there is no reason not to enjoy a cup of pine needle tea now and then, just don't drink more than a couple of cups at a time - and not too often.

bushcraftboy
14-09-2011, 09:01 PM
If you are of good health, there is no reason not to enjoy a cup of pine needle tea now and then, just don't drink more than a couple of cups at a time - and not too often.

Nothing wrong with me except slight asthma.

Ashley Cawley
19-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't know (or have heard) of any to be poisonous.
Remember pine needles come in pairs.
Likewise, I've not heard of any being poisonous.

Pryderi
20-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Dont know about poisionous but the ones I tried (just the once) tasted like turps smells

Realearner
20-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Very impressed with your knowledge jeep.
Never tried pine needle tea but I think I will now.

JonnyP
20-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Do you get Labrador Tea up your way Jeep..?
I was introduced to Labrador Tea while up in Nth Sweden a few years back. It is widely used as a tea, but contains poisons, being a type of rhododendron.

Many of the things we eat and drink will do us bad if we take too much. This is particularly true taking wild food stuff, like sorrel for example. Ok to eat a bit but you dont want too much oxalic acid in your body.
Some poisonous fungi can be taken in small doses too.. http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/rk01_058.gif
Once they have tried it once, I don't think many people will take pine needle tea again http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/jonpickett/puke-1.gif

JEEP
20-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I have never had labrador tea. I usually bring plenty of green tea and oolong when out and about. A good cup of tea is the one thing I will not do without :)