PDA

View Full Version : chicken-freaks

nat110732
15-09-2011, 09:08 PM
hi,
we have a mixed flock of free-range hens consisting Rhode-island red, a light sussex, 3 warrens, 4 salmon favourelles, a wellesummer, a rhode-rock, 2 cream legbars, 3 lemon sablepoots, a bluebell and a wyandot.
thing is, our Rhode-island has almost stopped laying but has decided to start treading the rest of the flock! is this normal?

nat

swkieran
18-09-2011, 09:25 PM
from experiance its time to keep her as a pet,or feed her to youre family,but if youre not a commercial farmer and its youre small holding keep her as a pet,or it could be a fox distressing youre flock are the other birds behaviour out of character or is it just youre rhode hen,foxes are easy enough to deal with nat,but its important if it is a fox you dispatch them because they will come back time and time again,and a fox attack is not a pleasent sight to see.im an animal lover myself but sometimes you do have to make hard choices,a cock will put up a fight even against a bigger animal like a fox,but a hen wont

luresalive
18-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Rhode Island reds are supposed to be one of the best layers, I've had 2 both were crap and both ended in the pot..my mate has one, it's a crap layer too but he keeps it as a pet, have no idea why she's treading the others!!

comanighttrain
18-09-2011, 10:40 PM
what is treading?

jus_young
18-09-2011, 10:50 PM
what is treading?

Haha I knew if I left it long enough someone else would ask...

nat110732
19-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Erm...treading is what a cockeral would do to a hen to 'fertlize' her eggs.
The Rhodey was a good layer but we are not sure how old she is! Its funny that theres only one syllabul difference between 'pet' and 'pot'...

luresalive
19-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Erm...treading is what a cockeral would do to a hen to 'fertlize' her eggs.
The Rhodey was a good layer but we are not sure how old she is! Its funny that theres only one syllabul difference between 'pet' and 'pot'...

Yep and either way they're a worthwhile bird!!

comanighttrain
19-09-2011, 09:37 PM
wait wut? the female is mounting other females?

nat110732
06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
wait wut? the female is mounting other females?

Yup,
She is nearing the end of her egg producing life-cycle and think she is going through some sort of hormone thang

Nat