PDA

View Full Version : Firesteels - What Tinder?

Ashley Cawley
25-11-2010, 06:15 AM
A common question I get asked is "What different things can I light with my Firesteel" so hopefully I show a few here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98kXym5hBXI

Ashley Cawley
25-11-2010, 06:16 AM
'
What tinder do you prefer to use with your Firesteel?

Bush_Men
25-11-2010, 02:50 PM
When I go out, I always try to find the best tinder available in that place (generally it is cat-tail, eucalyptus bark or fatwood). I usually prefer natural tinders and if I can't find any of it I will always have 2 things. The first is my modified Firesteel that has a capsule with fatwood protected from the elements of nature.

http://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/od005cf78/7554315_qa0m7.jpeg

http://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/o0505267e/7554291_gEGKN.jpeg

The other one is alcohol hand cleaner gel because it's part of my FAK

Never saw a birch in my area (since I can only find them in higher areas) but I've used it before in other places.

In the end I'll stick to fatwood anytime. Waterproof, catches a spark easily, and burns for some time. I mean, where can you find better natural tinder than this:

http://c6.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/ob8059b2f/7602441_2wcVe.jpeg

OKBushcraft
26-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Here in my part of Oklahoma, pines are usually in landscaped yards as are birch trees. I have found that thistle down works very nice. I carry parafin waxed cotton balls-they need fluffed a bit. Also I carry charclothe. Dried cane can be split and fluff shaved off the sides, it catches a spark well. Cat tail down works but not as nice as the thistle down. Cotton Wood seed fluff works well also.

C. Lupus
26-11-2010, 02:11 AM
I carry several types of tinder with me in my firestarting kit. I have drier lint, cotton balls soaked in alcohol gel, mayan dust, a Weber fire tab, and steel wool (4-O). Any one of these will serve me well in starting a fire.

MikeWilkinson
26-11-2010, 09:44 AM
I generally prefer to use natural tinders, my favourite being Birch bark - can get a good fire going what ever the weather, If I'm in an area where I can find fatwood that this also an option. When it is really dry then just simple dry grass buffed up do the trick.

Just in case though I do carry a tinder box with a length of jute, some previously harvested birch bark and fatwood, char cloth and some pre-buffed jute covered in petroleum jelly or wax.

I rarely need to use the tinderbox though, There is Birch and evergreen in abundance around here and so pretty much always get a fire going with that.

I have used Crampballs and Horsehoof fungus in the past, but the drying and preperation does tend to put me off a bit, especially when there are quicker more readily available tinders. Although when using a traditional flint and steel and natural tinders then it is worth the effort to make some up.

MikeWilkinson
26-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Just thought I'd put it in pictures.

So bottom left - Jute in Vaseline
Top Left - Tinderbox with Birchbark and Char cloth
Top Right - Wax coated Matches
Centre Right - Firesteel & striker in Birchbark sheath (emergancy tinder)
Bottom Right - Fatwood shavings and stick
Centre - Jute

slasha9
27-11-2010, 09:35 AM
When I am out in the woods I usually use tissue to light my fire but one thing that everyone should know about fire lighting with a ferro rod is TRIOXANE bars. They are the old US army's answer to British hexi. They are pretty hard to find on this side of the pond and can be quite expensive BUT they are scarily effective. Each bar is foil wrapped (I think that they are supposed to be used directly on the ground underneath the US issue canteen so the foil serves to protect from cold damp ground) and comes with grooves that allow the bar to be split into three pieces if you want to ration it out, when they break the make powder very easily (much more so than hexi) and this helps take a spark to set it off. One other thing about taking a spark, this stuff can be ignited by pretty much any spark, much easier than hexi, sometimes I worry that it will ignite due to harsh language! lol

HTH

Sean

paul standley
27-11-2010, 08:22 PM
For me right now it's cotton pads coated in petrolium jelly and meths (works every time rain or shine) but it's not very bushcrafty I know and so I will be progressing onto natural tinders ready for the spring....!

Couldn't stand the shame of it for too long :-)

Martin
27-11-2010, 08:26 PM
For me right now it's cotton pads coated in petrolium jelly and meths (works every time rain or shine) but it's not very bushcrafty I know and so I will be progressing onto natural tinders ready for the spring....!

Couldn't stand the shame of it for too long :-)

My wife just brought me back a large bag of cotton wool balls and vaseline from Asda. I was so pleased. :ashamed:

Martin

paul standley
12-12-2010, 03:57 PM
If you don't mind using non-natural tinders then this might interest you...

Last week I purchase some great hand sanitiser gel that is very high in alcohol and the actual gel takes a spark easy and burns hot on it's own with a blue flame and would make a great tinder material or even an emergency fuel source. Should work well as a fuel in an esbit type stove, open top alchohol can stoves etc or even a hollow in a stone, piece of tin foil etc.

I've used several different hand sanitiser gel's in the last year and non of them were any good as tinder/fuel but this stuff is very good.

I bought it from the UK store chain called B&M, (Cheap shop a bit like poundstretcher) they have it as a twin pack (2 x 60ml bottles) for 89 pence. The bottles are a perfect size and curved slightly like a hip flask so ideal for stowing in stoves, caddies, tinder boxes etc.

I found it in the aisle with the liquid soaps. I went back today and bought some more...!

chris grace
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Only ever use birch bark,it's never let me down and is easy to find.

Ashley Cawley
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Only ever use birch bark,it's never let me down and is easy to find.
Tis good stuff, but not easy to find down here in Cornwall.

chris grace
12-12-2010, 08:24 PM
It's all over South Wales,much like a rash.

luresalive
12-12-2010, 09:32 PM
I use flax more than anything else, but use birch bark quite often too

MikeWilkinson
13-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Ashley, I believe Bishops wood near Idless has a fair few birches growing it, like wise Trenant wood on the south coast, It is odd that there is not much about, due to the bog and moorland and the little bit of height, I would have expected there to be a lot more.

In fact looking through a few ecology sites and woodland sites, Dartmoor use to be covered with the stuff, hence Birch Tor. You should find smaller woodlands with birch in adundance ith the little valley stands and on the higher/wetter edges of ancient woodlands.

Iamnoone
21-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I know it's not very bushcraft, in the purest sense, but the fluff out of your tumble dryer filter is excellent free tinder if you go prepared. Might as well make a use for it eh? It can be squished into some vaseline/petroleum jelly which makes it burn longer and more damp resistant, but infnitely more messy.

And on the same theme. You can make similar fluff in the field by scraping your socks, fleece, shirt, hat, etc etc with your knife.... If you really have too.... Not recommended as a routine solution for obvious reasons, but you know.

ghost
04-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I try different things when I'm out, more than most times it's feather sticks, there aren't many birch near me so don't use it hardly at all. Have tried cattail though burns up too fast on it's own but used in conduction with dead bindweed it works a treat and if the bundle is tied into a couple of good feather sticks you have a 3 stage tinder bundle ready to go!

Fletching
04-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I still use them too. :(

Ashley Cawley
05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I know it's not very bushcraft, in the purest sense, but the fluff out of your tumble dryer filter is excellent free tinder if you go prepared. Might as well make a use for it eh? It can be squished into some vaseline/petroleum jelly which makes it burn longer and more damp resistant, but infnitely more messy.
Good idea bud, makes use of a waste-product too :)

swkieran
05-01-2011, 08:56 PM
thanks for the vid ash,i was asking about this a little while ago :)

Ashley Cawley
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm glad it's of some use bud :)

Celt_Ginger
06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I use whatever i can find. If there is nothing good about I'll make up some feather sticks and use those. I don't normally carry tinder with me, prefering to gather it when I'm out.

Ashley Cawley
07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
... If there is nothing good about I'll make up some feather sticks and use those...
Good point, a featherstick is another one worth mentioning when it comes to the Firesteels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcpVhm1bUwU

Kiltie
08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Not very bushcraft but I carry one of those tubes of rubber glue that you get in a bicycle puncture repair kit-small, lights with even a vague spark, burns for ages and is cheap as chips, only a small blob is needed and the tube lasts for ages, I also have char cloth, paper birch which is abundant here and horse hoof fungus in my tinderbox.

Jim

bigstan
15-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Someone suggested to me to use drier lint. Good plan but our drier is a condenser one so all the lint goes down the drain. However there is a launderette in town that uses gas fired driers, they must have to dispose of loads of lint when they clean the filters out. Stan.

Fletching
15-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Someone suggested to me to use drier lint. Good plan but our drier is a condenser one so all the lint goes down the drain. However there is a launderette in town that uses gas fired driers, they must have to dispose of loads of lint when they clean the filters out. Stan.

I went to my local launderette for this very purpose but the lint I got was pretty poor quality (says a lot about where I live!) and full of synthetic fibres. It caught well but burned really quickly - too quickly to start off kindling, and the fumes were not very nice.

I'd go to Knightsbridge if you want posh launderette lint. ;)

Steve

Paul Webster
15-01-2011, 08:25 PM
It should still have a lint filter, mine does. Every condenser dryer I've had has had a filter.

chris grace
15-01-2011, 08:34 PM
If your going to take tinder from home rather than use natural stuff then take the best you can get....cotton wool balls dipped in vaseline or better yet lighter fuel.

Kiltie
15-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Would have to disagree with you there Chris, lighter fuel is essentialy petroleum (petrol), its the vapour that burns and not the liquid itself, you can douse wood or tinder as much as you like you are only going to have the vapour burning, I messed about with lighter fuel as a kid and lost my eyebrows and eyelashes several times before I realised what a pratt I was being, petrol mixes with air rapidly and causes a vapour cloud-this will ignite even with static-so if your wearing wellington boots and other man made materials you have the potential to turn yourself into a screaming fireball.

petroleum jelly on the other hand is extremely safe and stable-a good suggestion

chris grace
16-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I agree with all that you say but meths is exactly the same with a higher flashpoint.Once you have a flame with petroleum products you can place kindling on top of it and it will catch and burn.
The point I was making is that if you're going to take tinder from home then there are far better things than tumble drier lint.
Where I am there is plenty of birch,so I use this as a natural tinder as it's so plentiful and easy to light.It doesnt take long to dry if it's wet either.
Whenever I go out I always carry a sheet of tindercard in my pack between the back pad and the bag,this will ignite even if it's wet.Maybe cheating ,but I know I'll get a fire going no matter what.

Doc Goodson
16-08-2012, 10:26 PM
I Use Jute and Keep It in a small tin in my bag. Some of it is ready to use and some is twisted small in the tin. I like to use a flint and steel with char-cloth also.

CanadianMike
16-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Doritos! :)

http://lifehacker.com/5840698/use-doritos-or-other-chips-to-start-a-fire#62525933|http%3A%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2FN4 246%2Fadj%2Fgm.lifehacker%2Fcleveruses%3B%3BmtfIFP ath%3D%2Fassets%2Fvendor%2Fdoubleclick%2F%3Bslot%3 Drightbar%3Bloggedin%3Dno%3Borigin%3Dlifehacker%3B refer%3Dfacebook%3Brefer%3Dsocial%3Bsz%3D300x250%3 Btile%3D3%3Bord%3D84176787%3F

FishyFolk
16-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I Use Jute and Keep It in a small tin in my bag. Some of it is ready to use and some is twisted small in the tin. I like to use a flint and steel with char-cloth also.

My fail safe is a lenth of hemp twine (similar to jute) that I have soaked in petrolum jelly. Keep it in a zip lock bag and just pull out 10 cm or so, fluff up a couple of cm and light with the LMF firesteel.
It flares up then burns like a wick. I can either leave it in my kindling until it catches properly, or just use it like a match. Whn I got my kindling burning I snuff it out and roll the leftovers back into the little bag.
- fire videoI show it in the "Tinderwalk II" video on my youtube channel.

Doc Goodson
16-09-2012, 02:11 AM

Just got this today. Forged here in the U.S.
On the large side but I have big hands so it works well. Going in my fire kit with the jute and char cloth.

Doc Goodson
16-09-2012, 02:14 AM

close up of the twist in the handle.
wish I could make stuff like this.

FishyFolk
16-09-2012, 06:30 AM

close up of the twist in the handle.
wish I could make stuff like this.

That's a nice one :-)

Howling Dingo
17-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I always find bulrush burns a bit fast for me..I use the bark from a paperbark tree often.Love your music on that vid ash..!!

Tigger004
18-09-2012, 07:12 PM
I love cotton wool and vaseline, works every time, it's natural but not locally natural...lol

FishyFolk
18-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I love cotton wool and vaseline, works every time, it's natural but not locally natural...lol

Got a tip there for less messy cooton balls...

I use the cotton pads that the ladies use to remove makeup etc. They are double layer, so i just separate the layers, and smear some vaseline inside and close again. Result, my tin of vaselined cotton is not a messy , sticky gob.... Also, just halfway separate the layers when lighting, and it self-fluffs up enough to light. If you want to water prrof them, dip them in candle wax or stearine.

Tigger004
18-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Nice idea, will give them a try, thanks

AL...
18-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Anyone else carry some cycle innertube in there firekit? Its great and will help get a fire goin in all weathers.

Cheers
AL

FishyFolk
18-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Anyone else carry some cycle innertube in there firekit? Its great and will help get a fire goin in all weathers.

Cheers
AL

That goes into my "Everything, including me is soaking wet, and I do not give a flying *expletive* how I light my fire anymore, I jsut wanna get warm* firekit.

I actually carry 3 fire kits

One is the all traditional quartz, steel and charcloth with some grass for tinder and birch bark kindling, kept in a leather pouch, wich sits in a leather belt pouch, both fairly waterproof, but will probably be wet if I fall in a river or something...

Then I have the modern LMF type firesteel, on with each knife I carry. Usually use this one with birch bark directly. Consider those a firekit in it's own right.

And then last a "high-tech" kit with storm matches, lighter, strips of bicycle innertube, vaselined hemp twine, vaselined cotton pads and LMF army firesteel. The last kit is kept in a zip lock bag with each item inside also in zip lock bags for water proofness.

Tigger004
19-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Al,
Here is a good tip,
I use a couple of Bands of inner tube around the sheath of my Mora Forest knife to hold my firesteel to it (always know where the steel is that way and can't forget to take it),
This banding is far more than is actually required to hold the steel. (or add a spare for fire starting.
The reason for two bands is the steel is gripped both sides by rubber and it protects the sheath from scapes,
Please note I also inserted a short piece of plastic tube (from an old felt pen tube) This stops you having to fiddle about when replacing the steel between the bands, (dont insert a long piece or you'll lose the grip effect)
Not meaning to teach egg sucking, just trying to be detailed for everyone, hopefull pictures added too53915392

PS. the back holds the striker and a tiny little can opener (can be seen poking out the bottom)

AL...
19-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi Tigger
Great Idea mate I have a holder on my sheath for the fire rod mate Which was made for me by Tony along with my knife Both of which are beautiful.
So I keep all my fire lighting kit in a pouch in with my stove .
Thanks for sharin mate

Cheers
AL

Jason
23-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I tend to carry a selection of various tinders but i like char cloth & maya dust........

OakAshandThorn
22-10-2012, 01:38 AM
I prefer natural tinders, especially thistledown and milkweed fuzz. Cattails seem to go out instantaneously - I wonder if I'm not fluffing it up enough to give it more oxygen. :confused2:

David_JAFO
19-11-2012, 03:45 PM
hello,
Yes I do. I used the inner tube as a waterproof outer for one of my survival tins.
I usually 'recycle' (pardon the pun) old inner tubes from cycles or the wheel chair
repair/supply shop in town usually bin the old inner tubes, shop girl usually keeps
them for me before they get binned.
One of my favourite all time tinders Impregnated Metal Polish Wadding lights
first time very little effort :wink:
Regards
David

Cheers
AL

Silverback
19-11-2012, 04:05 PM

Cheers
AL

Yup, its wound round an empty 12g cartridge in which there are some lifeboat matches - Like Rune its part of my "I NEED HEAT NOW" SHTF kit

SimonB
19-11-2012, 06:59 PM
After making my first lot of charcloth, and getting hold of a steel for my flint, I had a play today, and lit my first ever tinder bundle using flint,steel, and charcloth.. One happy bunny................. :)

And for the record... Jute twine makes awesome tinder nests !!!!!!!! T^:campfire: