PDA

View Full Version : My Hammock Cocoon - Snugpak / BCUK Group Buy

Ashley Cawley
21-09-2011, 08:41 PM
People ask me all the time what my Hammock Cocoon is, so I thought I would write a short article explaining what it is and why I love it so much!

- Hammock Cocoon - What is a Hammock Cocoon? (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/hammock-cocoon-what-is-a-hammock-cocoon.html)

Feel free to leave your comments here :)

Nsherwin93
29-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi Ashley,

Firstly what a fantastic site, really like what you've done.

How much was it to buy and is anyone doing a group buy anytime.

Thanks

Nathan

Ashley Cawley
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi Ashley,

Firstly what a fantastic site, really like what you've done.

How much was it to buy and is anyone doing a group buy anytime.

Thanks

NathanGlad you like the site bud.

I believe the person who bought the Cocoon in the first place from the Group Buy paid about £85 for it, I paid £65 2nd hand although it had been barely used, only once or twice. Knowing now how well I like it I would have been prepared to pay more if I had to.

kesom
09-10-2011, 05:25 PM
good thread ash,think we need a definitive thread on hammock cocoons and underblankets as their is a lot of info on em spread through different threads on the site and would be a lot better if it was all in one thread :)

any word from snugpack about group buy's ?

i've only ever looked at a sewing machine and am not too apt in such skills so i cant imagine me attempting to make my own :confused2:

i'm gonna have to get something together for next month to insulate my hammock for the winter camps (i've got a 2010 DD travel hammock)

the only option i can see is the DD underblanket but what temps will it keep you warm down to ?

what other insulation would be needed ?

do i need a roll mat or thermarest when just using the underblanket ?

would a 4 season sleeping bag drop the need for the roll mat or thermarest ?

i guess what i exactly need to know is what would insulate me well for use with my hammock down to -5 c

i was using a eurohike 200 (2season) mummybag all summer so i think i may definitely have to upgrade that and i want to get a thermarest anyway,my 10mm roll mat does my head in trying to sleep on it in the hammock,always end up with some part of my body off it during the night and when the fire dies i keep waking up ...................

thanks in advance for any advice guy's

peace ken :)

Martin
09-10-2011, 06:02 PM
With an underblanket, you don't need a roll mat or Thermarest, that's the point of the underblanket. I use a Snugpak Elite Forces 4 sleeping bag, opened up like a duvet. This keeps me warm in all weathers and definitely below freezing.

In a hammock, you always need some insulation beneath you like an underblanket or a roll mat of some description. This is because your sleeping bag compresses underneath you so it doesn't trap the warm air and allows heat to soak away into the air thus making you cold.

Hope this helps,

Martin

kesom
09-10-2011, 06:32 PM
thanks for clearing that up martin :) think i'll be getting the underblanket then,i just were'nt sure if the underblanket would be enough under me for insulation on its own ;) the most i'll be going out in will be no more than -5 so i should be fine with what you suggested T^

big shame snugpack don't stock their cocoon tho :mad2:

i see the bag you have has a comfort rating down to -10 but i could only find the "softie elite" version not the "elite forces" one,is their much in the difference ? or more to the point what is the difference ?

thanks for all your help and advice,chat soon

Martin
09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry Ken, looks like I got my Elites and my Forces confused. This is the sleeping bag I've got:

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=93-101&ItemID=15

It's a great bag but is big and heavy. I don't like to carry it long distances if I can help it although I never carry my hammock set up long distances anyway as I don't consider hammocking as a practical sleep system when backpacking.

Hope this helps

Martin

kesom
09-10-2011, 06:59 PM
thanks martin,i would'nt be walking too far of a distance,nothing compared to how far ye guys walk anyway,i prefer to stay in woodland and not venture major distances with my pack

you've more than helped,thank you very much :)

drillpig
03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi All,

I called snugpak to enquire about making /supplying these, however they pointed me the direction of DD hammocks who only sell the underblanket. I do however have a cunning plan B!

Ashley - can you please let me have some measurements of your cocoon, I am looking to make one by using 2 carp bed covers that are fleece lined. Should be fine in the summer and can be used in the winter with a sleeping bag. The carp bed covers measure 200cm x 150cm each and are made from Windtex (wind and water proof breathable fabric) and are fleece lined. Currently Retailling at £19.99 each from Ultimate Vision tackle.

Will take photos etc once I have the pattern drawn up and put a "How to" up once done.

Thanks.

mountainm
14-03-2013, 12:28 PM
thread necromancy I know - but I just got hold of one of these second hand. Are you still using yours Ashley? Any tips? I note some people still say they get a cold back - so when do you consider adding "extra" blankets.

Thanks

Mike

mountainm
21-03-2013, 09:14 PM
thread necromancy I know - but I just got hold of one of these second hand. Are you still using yours Ashley? Any tips? I note some people still say they get a cold back - so when do you consider adding "extra" blankets.

Thanks

Mike

Beuler?