PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap bushcraft knifes.

bushcraftboy
26-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I will be buying a new knife soon to replace my Clipper/Companion. Is there any knife which has a bigger blade (wider) and will do battoning better than a Clipper? Because while battoning the blade has bent slightly. And how cna I stop rust forming on my Clipper, I did a patina and it was forming surface rust.

JEEP
26-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Mora Bushcraft Triflex :)

Adam Savage
26-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I will be buying a new knife soon to replace my Clipper/Companion. Is there any knife which has a bigger blade (wider) and will do battoning better than a Clipper? Because while battoning the blade has bent slightly. And how cna I stop rust forming on my Clipper, I did a patina and it was forming surface rust.

Normally a good soak in hot vinegar does the trick, rubbing wax on the blade after each trip out works too.

Martin
26-09-2011, 08:43 PM
When you bring your knife home, take it out of the sheath, clean it and give it a light coating of oil. That will stop it from rusting.

Martin

Notredame11211
26-09-2011, 11:29 PM
You could try a Condor Bushlore, but they are a pain to sharpen. I would just stick with the Mora.

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Or have a go at making your own :)

Woodwose
27-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Or have a go at making your own :)

Or buy a stainless one .:) Loving your work Adam. I always thought knife making was a dark art untill I saw your posts. You've made it seem do-able even for a beginner.

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Or buy a stainless one .:) Loving your work Adam. I always thought knife making was a dark art untill I saw your posts. You've made it seem do-able even for a beginner.

Thanks mate. Although my first attempt didn't turn out great, and my second was made of mild steel (doh), I think I have just about got the hang of it now lol. just finished one of the new ones actually, will post it over in my new cutter thread.

J_P
27-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Try FGYT or Duncan Chandler / Dorset Woodland Blades,hes on here or i can put you in contact with him, he will do you a good knife blade etc for you to make your own at a very cheap price, id say hes the best for that sort of thing and a top bloke to boot, Ive got several of his knives and they are bomb proof from carving knives, bushy blades, camp knives to no noncence survival blades traditional and tactical styles. Worth a gander any ways.... :)

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Mora Bushcraft Triflex :)

I mean a wider blade like from bottom blade edge to top, not thicker steel, but that would be good.

Well I'll probably buy another Mora, but will silicone oil or vaselene work to keep the blade from rusting?

The Mora Bushcraft Signal looks nice, or Force or Forest they are all the same.

Also High carbon IS sharper than stainless?

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Also High carbon IS sharper than stainless?

That's an age old discussion. many people say, because the metal is made of larger particles, that it physically can't go as thin (and therefore sharp) as carbon steel. Others say it will go as sharp, but needs a lot more work to get it there. I have a stainless Whitby Walnut, which is shaving sharp (after a good work out with a diamond stone :)), how much sharper do you need a knife? lol

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 04:47 PM
That's an age old discussion. many people say, because the metal is made of larger particles, that it physically can't go as thin (and therefore sharp) as carbon steel. Others say it will go as sharp, but needs a lot more work to get it there. I have a stainless Whitby Walnut, which is shaving sharp (after a good work out with a diamond stone :)), how much sharper do you need a knife? lol

Ahh so next time I buy a knife, I will get stainless, as you say it is as good. I gave a DC4, I've had it for about a week and I think that will sharpen any knife good.

Are Mora's stainless knife high carbon stainless?

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Ahh so next time I buy a knife, I will get stainless, as you say it is as good. I gave a DC4, I've had it for about a week and I think that will sharpen any knife good.

A DC4 should cope perfectly fine with it. I use a cheapy diamond stone from the local DIY, for £6. I did find, when sharpening stainless, it seems sharper if you don't stop the blade. So maybe the micro serrations are the key. i would advice against using a Japanese water stone with stainless. The slightly longer time you spend sharpening, and the seemingly harder metal, wears them down quite fast.

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 05:18 PM
A DC4 should cope perfectly fine with it. I use a cheapy diamond stone from the local DIY, for £6. I did find, when sharpening stainless, it seems sharper if you don't stop the blade. So maybe the micro serrations are the key. i would advice against using a Japanese water stone with stainless. The slightly longer time you spend sharpening, and the seemingly harder metal, wears them down quite fast.

Well when sharpening my Companion/Clipper There are some micro-serrations, but when I use the ceramic side it gets rid of them, so sometimes I strop the blade and sometimes I do not. Well anyway my current knife will do good until I get another one.

One question can I put a small sachet of silica gel to help keep the knife dry?

Also is silica gel useful for anything else?

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 06:35 PM
One question can I put a small sachet of silica gel to help keep the knife dry?

Also is silica gel useful for anything else?

Have thought about it, but never tried it. Not sure if it has any other uses or not, but wouldn't have thought so. Could be wrong though.

Martin
27-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Uses for silica gel sachets:

1. Make very small sand bags in case of very small floods.

Martin

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 06:44 PM
:happy-clapping:

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Uses for silica gel sachets:

1. Make very small sand bags in case of very small floods.

Martin

:)

Martin
27-09-2011, 06:48 PM
2. Pillows for slightly damp mice.

Martin

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Or more sensibly...maintaining the desired relative humidity in humidors, keeping tools or other materials rust-free in damp environments or long-term storage, and preserving dried food.

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Gotta love wikinoideapedia

Martin
27-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Or more sensibly...maintaining the desired relative humidity in humidors, keeping tools or other materials rust-free in damp environments or long-term storage, and preserving dried food.

I sometimes think you're too sensible to be on here. Where is Jack by the way?? :D

Martin

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Is there a Mora knife which has a broader blade than the Clipper/Companion?

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I sometimes think you're too sensible to be on here. Where is Jack by the way?? :D

Martin

I like to try and be sensible at times :)

Is there a Mora knife which has a broader blade than the Clipper/Companion?

I'm pretty sure the Mora bushcraft range are wider. If not, try getting a mora laplander blank, and putting your own scales on it.

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I like to try and be sensible at times :)

I'm pretty sure the Mora bushcraft range are wider. If not, try getting a mora laplander blank, and putting your own scales on it.

They sell them at greenmanbushcraft for like £25, it looks a brilliant knife.

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Haven't bought one yet, but it should be a great knife. Stainless too I believe.

Just checked, the Mora companion is 13/16" wide, the bushcraft is 7/8" wide, and the bushcraft force is 15/16" wide.

So the force is 1/8" wider than the clipper/companion :)

bushcraftboy
27-09-2011, 08:01 PM
So I may aswell get the force, as the Laplander as I fail at putting handles on let alone carving. Also at this moment the Mora Laplander Just went on offer from £26 to £21. Thanks for the help also.

jus_young
27-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Martin

Haven't heard from him since he left for Dartmoor. Do you think they came off the moor or are they still going round in circles? :D

So the force is 1/8" wider than the clipper/companion :)

Thats just over 3mm in new money :)

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Haven't heard from him since he left for Dartmoor. Do you think they came off the moor or are they still going round in circles? :D

Thats just over 3mm in new money :)

That's correct jus, 3.175mm to be precise ;)

jus_young
27-09-2011, 09:43 PM
That's correct jus, 3.175mm to be precise ;)

Thought I would leave you with a come back :tongue:

Adam Savage
27-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Why thank you kind sir :D

LandRoverMatt
28-09-2011, 06:23 PM
yh ive got the carbon blade mora clipper so easy to just add some olive oil

bushcraftboy
28-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Will a potato work for a patina?

Adam Savage
03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Will a potato work for a patina?

Not sure. it's the acid that gives it the "twang", A lemon would do the trick. Lemon juice can be used to resharpen folding saws too, but they need to be left in it for several hours, if not a couple days. It's like acid etching the teeth.

jus_young
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
...Lemon juice can be used to resharpen folding saws too, but they need to be left in it for several hours, if not a couple days. It's like acid etching the teeth.

Nice tip, not thought of that one before :happy-clapping:

Adam Savage
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
One from our good friend Sean, from silver fox bushcraft. I would suggest wiping the blade well and oiling thoroughly after, just in case the acid sets in a little worse than vinegar does on O1.