PDA

View Full Version : DD tarp coverage?

Alamo
11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi All,

Ive been looking into getting myself a hammock and tarp and wondered if I may ask a question please?

As the length of DD's travel hammock is 2.7m, is 150mm at either end considered to be enough overhang when covered by their 3m x 3m tarp? We get some truly fierce horizontal rain in these parts (just below t'pennines) and it changes direction at the drop of a hat too. I suspect that even hanging the travel hammock below a 3.5m tarp would be pushing it somewhat but I'd rather not buy anything too big if someone can convince me that I wouldn't need it.

Regards

Alan

alvino78
11-10-2011, 09:24 PM
i have that set up and have found that using the tart corner to corner diagonally gives best coverage in adverse weather, as for their quality i have no reservations,top notch and well priced! hope this helps
best regards Al
http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/tarp-tutorial
http://www.ddhammocks.com/gallery/tarp
second link top right pic!!

markal17
11-10-2011, 09:24 PM
hi mate iv got the dd travel and the dd tarp iv not been under the tarp in the wet yet but im shore there are people on here that have they do say that water can travel down the cords to the hammock not shore about the tarp if it hangs down may be 2 ft or so off the ground will be trying my set up in the garden on fri or sat.all so look on youtube

alvino78
11-10-2011, 09:28 PM
water running down the cords is easily fixed if you use to carribiners or a shoe lace tied to the cords to allow run off
http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/modifications
best regards Al

markal17
11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
they say the shoe lace dont work coz the cord acts like a sponge so will still get in the hammock your right about the carribiners

alvino78
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
they have to be proper ones tho not the ali ones lol!!!!

markal17
11-10-2011, 09:49 PM
yer i need a set of those and then will have a go at fixing them on my hammock

alvino78
11-10-2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/suspensionsystem
works a treat! best regards AL

Martin
12-10-2011, 07:07 AM
The 3m x 3m DD tarp will be fine with your Travel Hammock. Do the carabiner mod and you'll stay perfectly dry. Don't forget, 150mm is six inches which will be ample.

Martin

andy t
12-10-2011, 07:37 AM
I'd think about getting the 3 x 4.5 metre tarp. You can always tuck under what you dont need but you can't add on what you havent got.

Alamo
12-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.....much appreciated.

My reason for asking is: a few nights ago the rain was coming down at such an angle that it was hitting the window in our hallway some 12 inches (300mm) from the top. The window in question is situated beneath a canopy which extends 30inches (760mm) from the house. This got me thinking about the overhang required for a tarp/hammock combo. In weather like that, a 150mm overhang wouldn't be anywhere near enough.

Also, I understand the idea behind the karabiner mod, but this will obviously reduce the 150mm overhang to more like 50mm, or maybe less?

Adam Savage
12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
The most important part of using a 3x3 with a 2.7 hammock, is the distance between the ridge line and the hammock ends. If you have a whopping 3 foot, then the rain IS going to come in, but if you stay to under a foot, you should be fine. It sounds a tiny amount, but by the time you are in the hammock, it will sag down and give you plenty of head/face room. Also be sure to set the side of the tarp toward the wind/rain, otherwise the rain will drive down the end, soaking either the bottom of your sleeping bag, or the head end. The carabiners won't soak up any water, so it doesn't really matter about them being in the rain. Just make sure to attach them as close to the hammock as possible (making sure you are comfortable in your hammock). These rules apply for the diagonal setup too. If you can afford it, and have enough room to pack it, I'd plump for the 4.5. It'll give you more set up options, plus give you extra room to store your kit.

Adam

Alamo
12-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks again everyone,

Having never owned, slept in or even pitched a hammock before, with your help it looks like I'll be ordering hammock and 3x3 tarp next pay day. As suggested by andy t and crazysaint222, I had considered the 3m x 4.5m tarp, but think that could be a little large for my needs. A pity that DD don't do a 3.5m x 3.5m ........

Alan

Adam Savage
13-10-2011, 10:04 AM
I second that thought. They need a 3.5x3.5 (or somewhere near) to make all of us happy :)