PDA

View Full Version : Game birds

Bigmikejenkins
16-10-2011, 11:13 AM
What is your favourite way to cook the good old game birds such as Partridge and Pheasant? I live on a game bird reserve and the game keeper occasionally gives me a few birds in exchange for some rope, but I'm all out of ideas for new ways to cook them. I've put them in pies, stew, on the bbq, fried with onions and mushrooms and some exotic stuff off the bbc food website. I'm guessing a dutch oven is the next natural step?

MikeWilkinson
17-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I like my peasants liver fried off and served with a nice chianti!! Oh damn you said Pheasant. :p

On a serious note, I like the Pheasant breast fried of with some black pudding and served on a green salad with some sweet onion chutney.

Reaps72
17-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Depends on the age of the bird, but I tend to stick with:
For young; flash roast with good olive oil in very hot oven for about 25 - 30 mins, 1/2 on one side then the other (to make sure legs cook through) basting 2 -3 times, stuff the cavity with rosemary, thyme & crushed juniper & garlic season well with sea salt & mixed pepper. Finally when done (I like mine slightly pink),put the pan on a low light & a spoon of heather honey over & turn the bird in the caramelising honey & juices. Then leave to rest for 5 - 10 min breasts down. Carve the birds in the pan (just breast off & legs off) plate up served with crispy roast roots & beets & finally stir the honey, cooking & carving juices together & drizzle over !

For old; pot roast very slow (slow cooker or in a covered pot at 130ºc) for about 5 hours with root veg, celery, leeks & onions (enough to serve as the meal) with Rosemary, Thyme & Sage & a little chilli, juniper, nutmeg, garlic & a large glass of a red wine per bird. When it is time to serve the its up to you whether to take the meat off the bone or leave rustic style, but do strain off the liquid heat gently & thicken with cornflour made a paste with a little more red wine & stir in finally get some good 70% dark chocolate couple of chunks per bird melt in to the sauce with a dollop of redcurrant jelly & Serve.
A bird per 2 persons dependant on how generous you are!

Enjoy!

Bigmikejenkins
17-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks guy's, I like the idea of Pheasant and black pudding. Will have to see if the pig farmer down the road fancies swapping anything for some bacon next....