PDA

View Full Version : The Lynx fastjet burner.

bigzee
19-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Continuing my obsesssion with cosmetic can recycling: here are some working drawings for an alcohol burner in the white-box style. The Lynx deodorant can shape works well at forming the pressure chamber in the stove wall. With a gauge of ali thinner than a drinks bottle - this results in a startlingly quick fire-up time for the side jets.

One can, one hacksaw, abrasive paper, map pin, and "finger" of fibre-glass. 0.5L water boiling in about 4 mins.2689

Video demonstration of burner in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaBWq53KZSQ

still water
19-10-2011, 01:49 PM
thats great chap i have made a few penny burners in the past from coke cans and none of them have ever lit as fast as that.
i have just gone into the bin and got a lynx can out that i chucked last night and in a bit will be going out to the shed to have a go at a lynx stove.
thanks

still water
19-10-2011, 01:50 PM
how did you remove the plastic nosal under the cap.

bigzee
19-10-2011, 03:29 PM
how did you remove the plastic nosal under the cap.
The black section pops off with a commited sideways twisting/snapping motion with both hands. Then stand can upright and whack the end of the syphon tube down with a hammer. When you saw off the silver syphon collar this would come away with it anyhow. Make sure the jet holes are positioned so that they are at the top of the walll pressure chamber (just below where the inner and outer are pressure-fitted.

Tony1948
19-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Well well,it looks like there are at least 2 guys that expect the angels to full out of the sky ;)LoL

bigzee
19-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Well well,it looks like there are at least 2 guys that expect the angels to full out of the sky ;)LoL
........Eh???

Kiltie
19-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant BigZee :happy-clapping:

jus_young
19-10-2011, 08:47 PM

........Eh???

:D The latest Lynx advert

bigzee
19-10-2011, 09:55 PM
:D The latest Lynx advert
Ahh...right I see - nice one Tony. I actually use our lad's old Lynx cans (I use the sprays that work with as little aroma as possible).

still water
20-10-2011, 09:37 AM
thanks bigzee i had a go last night i cut the tin in two and then pulled the plastic bit out with a multitool had a go with pen guard as fule as i could not find my meths
it lit but not as fast as yours.need to find my meths and have a try again.

Humakt
20-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm a Java man, myself. Sometimes Africa.
But next time I'm in Morrisons I'll keep an eye out for Fastjet Burner.

bigzee
20-10-2011, 04:02 PM
thanks bigzee i had a go last night i cut the tin in two and then pulled the plastic bit out with a multitool had a go with pen guard as fule as i could not find my meths
it lit but not as fast as yours.need to find my meths and have a try again.
Well done mate. Try and angle the jet holes upwards slightly (this may speed-up ignition?) I don't know what pen guard is, but on a previous post some months ago someone went through all sorts of alcohols (hic) and tested as fuel. He used different types and percentages, but arrived at the conclusion that "the purple stuff" is THE one to use. I pay no more than 1.99/ 0.5L, but it's surprising how many shops don't sell the stuff at all.

still water
21-10-2011, 09:11 AM
i know im lucky that the local hardware shop has still got some in the back. pen guard is a well strong form of wd40 type stuff thats even harder to get than meths
but it burns good and hot.

SimonB
19-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the diagram....

Not exactly a Lynx can, but I used an aerosol cooking spray can, and by gum it's the best stove I have ever made...

I have made a lot of penny stoves from beer cans, and had various degrees of success with them, but used one in anger on the beach last week and it was rather heavy on meths... hence when I found this, I had to try it, and the result, though a bit of time to get a boil on, it did it with less than half the ammount I used in the penny can stove, and burnt longer... 13 minutes 45ml of meths lasted, and that included the blooming and boiling a pint of water....
it is now sat in my kit, ready for my next jaunt some time this coming week...

Shewie
21-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Good stuff, I whimp out and use a 1mm drill for my holes