PDA

View Full Version : fresh water fish

still water
21-10-2011, 10:09 AM
hi all iv been a fisher man from the moment i could stand up my dad put a rod in my hand tied me to the bank(and thats no lie ever) and showed me what was what. iv eaten all types of fish over the years and can say my fav is perch apart from trout and samon have you ever eaten any fresh water fish and how did they taste.?

rossbird
21-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I've eaten-Perch, Roach, Carp, my favourite coarse fish has to be Pike.
Really meaty and a great taste.

still water
21-10-2011, 10:20 AM
I've eaten-Perch, Roach, Carp, my favourite coarse fish has to be Pike.
Really meaty and a great taste.
how did you cook it when i cooked one it tasted earthy almost like there was grit in the meat, never eaten one since.

rossbird
21-10-2011, 10:35 AM
My mother cooked it, she would cut the fish into steaks and bake in the oven.
We never ate large fish, around 5lb seemed to work well.

How do you cook Perch, I always ended up with too many bones.

still water
21-10-2011, 10:48 AM
i skin it pull out the spine and ribs in one if big or just leave them in if small and then fry or cook over an open fire, the best why for me is over a fire.

happybonzo
21-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Here's a couple of jolly American coves preparing Pike. The thing i've found a B....r to deal with are the little "Y" shaped bones. A good filleting knife is a must imho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7n-CRD0eak

Here's a better vid on removing the "Y" bones - just watch how sharp that filleting knife is. the guy hardly uses any pressure at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS_cHdKS-_A&feature=related

Scott
21-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Ive had perch and roach both tasted good. I cook them by gutting them then putting a stick through the gills and out the mouth and hanging over a fire until the skin starts to peel. Niice and simple

rossbird
21-10-2011, 07:12 PM
One old guy I used to meet on my local fishing trips, always talked about eating Tench.
Never tried them, couldn't get past all that slime.

andy202wr
22-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Eel cut into sections boned and poached in milk. Tastey.T^

Opal
22-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Many years ago I tried gudgeon after reading a book on fish recipes, maybe 1970-ish, gudgeon a la menier or something like that, anyway I fried them, tasty too :D but I felt a bit guilty, the first of many fish I've eaten. Tried pike about the same time, about a 3lber, didn't care for it so fed it to next door's cat. trout? lovely, it's all about ingredients innit?

eels okay but I hate catching them.

Ashley Cawley
23-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Ive had perch and roach both tasted good. I cook them by gutting them then putting a stick through the gills and out the mouth and hanging over a fire until the skin starts to peel. Niice and simpleNice mate! :)

Remember that beast we caught at Woodland Valley...

Scott
24-10-2011, 08:25 AM
We had a couple about that size didnt we? That was a cold january if I remember right.

Ashley Cawley
24-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah that's right, here's the photos from that weekend: https://picasaweb.google.com/115691258863352927151/WoodlandValleyWinterCampingJan2009#

bikebum1975
27-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Ah nothing better than a good fresh caught trout. though enjoy bass catfish pretty much most fish I have tried. pickerel and sunnies are pretty good eats to just simply gut and fry not much needs to be done other than salt n pepper. Though in all honesty I haven't fished in ages but my Grampa got me hooked on it.

Bushwhacker
28-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Brown Trout, Eels, Carp, Bream, Roach, Perch and something a bit more exotic like Catfish, Piranha, Hymara plus other non-descript silver fish.
*Edit* How could I forget - Barramundi - THE best ever.

It should be noted that pretty much all freshwater fish are edible, some may contain levels of mercury but that's more to do with water quality.
As a rule predatory fish are the better tasting IMO. Carp and Bream are pretty foul.
All should be cooked to kill parasites.

Hymara

Piranha

Non-descript silver fish

Electric Eel

One method of catching them -

wizardbiz
30-12-2011, 08:10 PM
skimmer bream are ok, very small bones. taste earthy like pike. best heavily salted or soaked in salty water overnite if you got the salt and the time that is.

treefrog
31-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Here in eastern Ontario we have some great bass fishing spots...love fresh-caught bass over the campfire! But my absolute favourite has to be rainbow trout;
a lot more trouble to catch but you can't beat the taste.

garethw
31-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm not a huge fan of freshwater fish, I find most I've eaten fairly bland, sea fish are far more tasty.
However the firm favourite here in France is Zander. It is an excellent fish to eat. We served it at my wedding a coupl eof years ago.

That said I too have been a freshwater angler for the last 40 years and the only fish I've ever taken are trout. In most cases the fishery rules forbid taking your catch. They certainly do onmy fishery.

cheers
Gareth

swkieran
01-01-2012, 04:25 AM
freshwater fish in the main is yuck lol,onli salmomn and trout are really acceptable,sea fish r the best,but not every species is tasty or palletable to some people ,dog fish (cuts yer hands to bits) but has one bone and rest is meat,scorpion fish(poisenous),but handled and cooked right way tastes nice,will become the new gurnard i think lol,monk fish and conger because they are ugly and have nasty looking teeth,but also 2 fish that are very meaty and taste very nice.