View Full Version : Fox Skull

rossbird
24-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Found one locally at weekend.

Does anyone know how to whiten bones?

J_P
24-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Bleach buddy..

(sorry about short post sent from phone and doing 10 things at once, see below post ;) )

Tony1948
24-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Just leve em out on to of the shed or tyed up in a tree for a year,the weather will bleech the bonesT^

Tony1948
24-10-2011, 08:16 PM
HI J-p you beat me to it:o

rossbird
24-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys, didn't want to use bleach in case it rotted the skull.

Ashley Cawley
24-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Bleach buddy..Having never bleached bones before - any idea how long you would leave to soak in bleach roughly? Days? Weeks? Months?

luresalive
24-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Don't use concentrated bleach, I used them on rabbit skulls and they ended up thin and wearing through, dilute it a little and keep checking every so often.

rossbird
24-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info....i'll let you see the results.
jbrown, that link doesn't work for me, could you try again. I would like to read it, thanks.

jbrown14
25-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Oh, wow, it doesn't work for me either, sorry about that!
It's a link to a .pdf from the University of Arizona: http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/natresources/az1144.pdf

That's what I get for trying to get fancy and embed the link in text (if I'm using the proper terms.)

(I've removed the offending post as well.)

Good luck!

Josh

J_P
25-10-2011, 07:53 AM
On a fox skull or badger you can Use cheap thin bleach not the thick toilet cleaner and mix it with water, dont soak it in there for days either just a couple of hours then let it dry keep doing that till its how you want it (i just throw mine in and keep an eye on them they are for display/show and tell, not for scientific purposes), you may have to glue the teeth back in they tend to come out if they havent already, take pictures of the teeth araingement if your unsure of how they go. Small skulls eg rodent and bird need special prep (dilute H/Perox or thin bleach)..and i take it its a fox skull you found in the woods not one you have prepped from the animal btw?

rossbird
25-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks J_P, it was a skull I found.
You've obviously done this sort of thing before:)

Tony

rossbird
25-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh, wow, it doesn't work for me either, sorry about that!
It's a link to a .pdf from the University of Arizona: http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/natresources/az1144.pdf

That's what I get for trying to get fancy and embed the link in text (if I'm using the proper terms.)

(I've removed the offending post as well.)

Good luck!

Josh

Thanks for taking the trouble to sort the link Josh.
Lots of good info there. hope I can do it justice.

Tony

J_P
26-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks J_P, it was a skull I found.
You've obviously done this sort of thing before:)

Tony

Once or twice ;)

jbrown14
26-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for taking the trouble to sort the link Josh.
Lots of good info there. hope I can do it justice.

Tony

Anytime, glad to help.

Josh

cuppa joe
04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
caustic soda n water....mind yourself though .

wizardbiz
18-01-2012, 12:15 PM
if you get short of money anytime ( wait thats all of us all the time) theres a great trade in animal skulls, bird feathers and such on ebay (search taxidermy) recently a prepaired rook skull sold for £31 . i sell the skulls of rook/crow and foxes that i shoot on ebay. feathers and squirel/fox tails are bought by fly tiers. and rook/crow skulls by people into the black arts and goths love em. deer antler sell well too.

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Found one locally at weekend.

Does anyone know how to whiten bones?Did you ever process the skull? I'd love to see a pic if you've got one to share? :)

if you get short of money anytime ( wait thats all of us all the time) theres a great trade in animal skulls, bird feathers and such on ebay (search taxidermy) recently a prepaired rook skull sold for £31 . i sell the skulls of rook/crow and foxes that i shoot on ebay. feathers and squirel/fox tails are bought by fly tiers. and rook/crow skulls by people into the black arts and goths love em. deer antler sell well too.Nice tip ;) lol you are the wizard of business hey!

rossbird
19-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Did you ever process the skull? I'd love to see a pic if you've got one to share? :)

I left it on the shed roof.... mainly to see if the Magpies would be wary at all (they weren't)
I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up.

wizardbiz
20-01-2012, 06:49 PM
lucky me, found a barn owl skull along side the thames today, mother nature,s done all the hard work prepairing it for me.

Ashley Cawley
21-01-2012, 03:22 PM
lucky me, found a barn owl skull along side the thames today, mother nature,s done all the hard work prepairing it for me.
Wow! Great find :)