PDA

View Full Version : Trying my new Hobo stove.

Norseman
29-10-2011, 08:30 PM
A great dissapointment. I found a coffeecan and a stewcan that fitted inside eachother. Made holes for air and for som steelbars to hold the cooking can. Hmmm. These ovens must be really airy to build a good draft. I made some bigger holes around the top to help the furnacesystem. I think I had to put to much effort to boil my spruceneedletea.
It did provide enough heat to boil some water and keep the forrest floor from burning. But I think from now on I would either use a spiritburner or an ordinary fire. I ordered a Swedish Army stainless steel trangia set and the pot can be used either way. :-)

I also on this trip tried steelwool and a 9 volt battery for sparks. Didnt work. Not a single spark. But the wool sparked all around when hit from a magnesium firesteel. I thought that was very strange bcs I made sparks in some coarser steelwool earlier. Neither had soap in it.

My cotton balls with vazeline or candlewax works great. At least one success on this trip, but actually the whole trip was a success bcs of me being able to flush out the doesnt`s.

Testing in a safe environment is good. :-)

Dan XF
30-10-2011, 07:57 AM
A coffee can? Brilliant idea. I made one from a large dog food tin which was the advice on this website and it worked very well. The only thing I would say is that the fuel hole I made was right at the bottom which allows a lot of ash to fall out when it's in use. If I made another it would have the hole half way up the side. I also had a problem with the cooking pot causing the fire to lose heat so I cut large slots in the top to allow heat out and draw air in to the bottom. Look at the ravenlaw website and stare in admiration of the hobo stove he's made. The guy should go in to business designing camping stoves as well as photography.

alvino78
30-10-2011, 09:33 AM
A coffee can? Brilliant idea. I made one from a large dog food tin which was the advice on this website and it worked very well. The only thing I would say is that the fuel hole I made was right at the bottom which allows a lot of ash to fall out when it's in use. If I made another it would have the hole half way up the side. I also had a problem with the cooking pot causing the fire to lose heat so I cut large slots in the top to allow heat out and draw air in to the bottom. Look at the ravenlaw website and stare in admiration of the hobo stove he's made. The guy should go in to business designing camping stoves as well as photography.
hi have u a link??

Dan XF
30-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Bottom left of the home page for this website