PDA

View Full Version : have you ever?

sleeping bags
30-11-2010, 02:23 PM
have you ever been accused of being ott? im a person who believes you should be prepared for anything, however, earlier in the year i took my landlady and her friend on a cycle run on dartmoor, we followed the puffing billy track to redlake and back, although it was a very nice day i took my, waterproofs, 1st aid kit, 4 ltrs water, survival tin, tent, food for 3 days, (cup a soup, dried mash etc), all the other bits and bobs, purifying tabs, fuel, mini stove billy cans etc etc, thankfully i didnt need any of this, i did enjoy a nice coffee after swimming in redlake. they seemed to think i was ott, i just thought i was ready.162, i also took my map and compass although the puffing billy track is a bit hard to miss you never know

Bernie
30-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I was telling the chaps at work how I've prepared my car for winter. With the prospect of snow and home 150 miles from where I work, I like to be prepared in case something decides to get between me and where I want to be. They were okay with the snowchains, laughed a little at the spade I had, but when I mentioned cocoon down sleeping bag, normal sleeping bag (rated to -2C) and jackets, hiking boots, 3 man tent, axe, bow saw, 4l water, billy can, fire lighting kit and breakfast bars, I think they started to think I've been a little OTT.

The stories of people being stuck overnight on motorways has made me think I want to be the guy handing out hot tea on a cold night in the middle of nowhere. So I'm prepared. :D

Shewie
30-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Not so much OTT but I do like to carry a bit of kit even if it's just for a day out. One reason is I just like packing and sorting out the toys to take, but there's also the "what if" factor.

For an average day hike ...

15-20L pack
3L water in a bladder
Stove for brewing up (and fuel if needed)
Brew kit
Ti mug
Snacks and a bit of lunch
Probably a neck knife
Camera
First Aid kit
Tiny lightweight 6'x8' tarp (quick shelter for lunch if it's honking it down)
Hat and gloves if it's cold
Waterproof trews (probably have a top outer layer on anyway)
A couple of sealy bags for collecting interesting stuff, plants/fungi/rocks/fruit
Map and compass & Satmap

Scott
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I got laughed at when i arrived for work with enough kit in my work van to last a week, Spade, tow rope, torches, tarp, stove, sleeping bag, thermals, rat pack meals and many other things. They told me if i get stuck anywhere i will be so prepared they will just leave me there.

bikebum1975
16-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Eh nothing wrong with carrying a bit of kit. I also plan to this year all the time hey never know when a good time to camp will pop up unexpectedly

Metal mug
20-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I was telling the chaps at work how I've prepared my car for winter. With the prospect of snow and home 150 miles from where I work, I like to be prepared in case something decides to get between me and where I want to be. They were okay with the snowchains, laughed a little at the spade I had, but when I mentioned cocoon down sleeping bag, normal sleeping bag (rated to -2C) and jackets, hiking boots, 3 man tent, axe, bow saw, 4l water, billy can, fire lighting kit and breakfast bars, I think they started to think I've been a little OTT.

The stories of people being stuck overnight on motorways has made me think I want to be the guy handing out hot tea on a cold night in the middle of nowhere. So I'm prepared. :D Free tea? Next time I get stuck anywhere i'll make sure you are there Bernie.:)

jbrown14
20-12-2010, 06:06 PM
We're in full-on winter here in New York, and I have to park my car about two and a half blocks from the building where I work, so I generally carry my lunch, keys/phone/wallet/pocketknife, thermos of coffee and various other sundries in a daypack and dress for the conditions (cold wind, blowing snow, foot-deep drifts.) I guess I'm a sight walking in, the other day one of my workmates asked me if I parachuted in. I said, "Yeah" and pointed to the crane outside the window, "How do you think I got down off the roof? Those guys gave me a lift."